PDA

View Full Version : Starting a part-time business

Retiring at 57
03-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Hello, lawn dudes! Please allow me to introduce myself. l'm a guy who is planning on retiring in about a year or so from my civilian job as a sheetmetal mechanic with the Air Force. l'm looking for something to do to supplement my retirement income , and l've mowed a lot of yards, so l thought the lawn business would be worth a look. l actually tried this once before, about twenty three years ago, when l was between jobs. Trouble was, l couldn't afford a decent truck so l bought a piece of junk that immediately proceeded to break down on me. l was raking in the $$ until that happened. Back then l didn't care about keeping any records for tax purposes, l just figured l'd work for cash and it wouldn't make any difference. ln other words, l guess l used to think of mowing lawns as something you could do for cash like a kid does lawns in his neighborhood or whatever. l wasn't really looking at it as a business, per se. What l'd like to know, first off is, at what point does it become a BUSINESS rather than just "picking up a few bucks" here and there? l mean, is it when you start drawing up contracts, when you start making a certain amount, when you advertise using a company name? l'm looking at a pretty limited enterprise here, maybe twenty lawns a month, a one man (me) operation, $800 to $1200 a month. Can some of you guys throw me a clue? Would much appreciate it. Cheers!:cool:

charlies
03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
20 lawns a month or 20 lawns a week? 20 lawns a month is actually like 5 customers.

it's a real business when you start treating it like one. paying all your taxes, having an ein, insurance.

A-1 Lawn Care
03-28-2004, 04:06 AM
Wish u the best. We have just started our new buss. with only two accts. A ad breaking out on the first of the mo.hitting approx 40000 homes. Spent apprpx $8000 so far at age of 50s. Just the wife and I, and will only mow two days a week. 48 SCAG z WITH VAC USED WITH 1.6 HRS

Retiring at 57
03-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a good plan. l've got an '01 Toyota Tacoma with a short bed, but am planning on getting a trailer, a couple of mowers, a leaf blower, edger, trimmer, etc.. Right now, l'm researching all the opinions, etc., on this board. BTW, l'd like to thank the administaters of this site, it's a great help. Already, l've found out a lot of info regarding taxes, etc. Just out of curiosity,"A-l", how much $$ do you plan on making, mowing just two days a week? Are they large properties, commercial,or residential?

Retiring at 57
03-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by charlies
20 lawns a month or 20 lawns a week? 20 lawns a month is actually like 5 customers.

it's a real business when you start treating it like one. paying all your taxes, having an ein, insurance. So, you're assuming that you go back and mow each one every week? l was thinking more in terms of repeating every ten days or so, but then again, l haven't done this for quite awhile, so l'm a little "fuzzy" with the math. Thanks for your feedback, though. Every shred of info l can get from experienced folks helps. l have about a year to go before l can get into this business, and want to hit the ground running! Cheers.:blob2:

charlies
03-28-2004, 12:01 PM
i don't know what the season is like in tx. but here in the n.e. we mow on average 27-30 times a year. we mow every week when the grass is growing.

i think if you're going solo, you should be able to do around $250-450 in lawns a day. low end of scale if you're using homweowner equipment, taking it kind of easy, and with loose routes, high end in you're using commercial equipment, tight routes, and your bustin' @ss.

for 2 days a week and 1 person, i would try to pick up 12-16 1 acre properties at $50. that's just me though.

Team Gopher
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Retiring at 57,

What l'd like to know, first off is, at what point does it become a BUSINESS rather than just "picking up a few bucks" here and there?

I think a business becomes a business as soon as you implement your plan. I wish you the best this year with your business :)

A-1 Lawn Care
03-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I now have two res. custmers. with a ad breaking 1st of the mo.
hitting 40000 homes. hoping to build on that!