PDA

View Full Version : herbicide transfer

scottt
03-27-2004, 11:00 AM
What do you use to transfer herbicide from a 2.5 gallon container when mixing? I don't like the idea of pouring out of them, and I know with some products the label says you can't. I found a pump called a goat throat but they want over $200 just for one! That's about $1000 for the pumps I would need. Your suggestions are appreciated.

TSM
03-27-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't like the idea of pouring out of them, and I know with some products the label says you can't

maybe i just dont understand the question? we pour out of the container, wearing personal protection gear, into measuring beakers. Then pour into tank.

scottt
03-27-2004, 08:18 PM
We do the same, however every once in a while you will spill a small amount of product especially when the container is almost full. It is not environmentally or economically responsible to spill even a little concentrated product. Some labels also say you can't pour straight from the container, depending on the size. The Goat Throat is a small pump you attach to the threads of the container and it has a no drip valve. They are too expensive though at over $200 a piece. That's a lot of money for a hand pump.

vegomatic40
03-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Yep, use your PPE and pour/measure into beakers or graduated cylinders. I personally prefer converting all my formulas to the metric system as you can get a little more precise. If I make out a fill chart it is less likely that a employee will be sloppy with the amount if they are told to put in for example 3785 milliliters vs. 1gal of a given product. I also use 110-220 gal. mini-bulks for some herbicides, some of which come with a wobble pump already attached to the top. Just attach a hot wire and a ground from a small battery to the leads and voila...it pumps into the container. When the tank(s) are empty the manufacterer picks up the tank for recycling with no 2.5 gal jugs to rinse and dipose of.