PDA

View Full Version : pics of curbing

Trim Creations
03-27-2004, 05:46 PM
your thoughts

Lombardi
03-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I think it looks too plain. They should have spent a few more dollars to have it colored and stenciled.

charlies
03-27-2004, 06:51 PM
no, they should have spent a few bucks on having their mud pit turned into a lawn.

Turfdude
03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm not real fond of that concrete edging. I think its done by the "lil bubba machine" and has lie 4 different curbing styles to choose from. I prefer something more natural looking.

aries
03-27-2004, 07:50 PM
I agree w/turfdude to commercial looking for me I like the natural look myself !

Joe

bill--bls
03-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Looks good to me, I like the mow curb style better myself. We sell and install curbing with all of our jobs, at $4.00 a ft. it money in the bank. Landscape propperly around it and right up to it it look great.

DLCS
03-27-2004, 08:04 PM
How does that curb edging handle frost and cold winters? I would think that it would heave here in the north.

Lombardi
03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Here is a couple of pics of curbing we used in the back yard around a new pool. It blends in a little more due to all of the other hardscape installed.

Lombardi
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Oops. Here are the ones showing the curbing.

Lombardi
03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Pic #2 of curbing. Customer chose teh option of coloring and stenciling.

Mykster
03-29-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm not a big fan of concrete edging. It looks nice in some landscapes and horrible in others. the market is getting bigger around here. I myself prefer no edging. As far as the pics go, I think there's too many curves.

GreenMonster
03-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Mykster
I'm not a big fan of concrete edging. It looks nice in some landscapes and horrible in others. the market is getting bigger around here. I myself prefer no edging. As far as the pics go, I think there's too many curves.

Gotta agree with the consensus. I like it natural. I DO like the curves in Lombardi's picks -- they flow. The original pic from first post seems to have too many curves in a short span. They just don't "flow".

Willmow4dough
03-31-2004, 03:51 AM
I like the edging. It has naturally flowing curves that lend themselves to a smooth transition through the landscape. The bed in the first pic looks nice also. Good work.

kris
03-31-2004, 08:30 AM
What I see around here is exactly what has been said ...too many curves in a short span.

Lombardi's curves look good as well as the coloring and stenciling.

WeatherMan
03-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Looks Like a cheap job, Would not ever recomend it

gogetter
03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I actually really like the look of this stuff, but I never see any of it around my way.

I agree in the first pic, it's too plain. It should have had a colorant added at the very least.

Kinda surprised how many of you don't care for it.

If I had my own property, I'd consider it for myself. But something colored and probably patterned.

Border Guy
04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
If it makes you money and customer likes it, what does it matter if YOU don't like it. That's why we all have choices.

meets1
04-29-2004, 08:32 PM
What type of machine are you using? I am looking at the lil budda, tyra, and some other. Did you guys purchase everything or just select tools? I have the sod cutter and trencher but I think the trailer deal looks decent to. Everything on one unit.

D Felix
05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
I'll throw out my two cents here too.... Are you ready for an opinion of opinions?:D

Refering to curbing in general: I think it has NO place in a residential landscape. Not only does it look outright tacky, but it also makes it hard to adjust the bed size over the years as the plants do what they do naturally- GROW. Why should a client spend a couple $k on this sh*t, then be stuck with it until either move or decide to pay someone to come in and rip it back out? I also have serious doubts as to longevity, as I understand it, the curbing is poured virtually on the surface and has no footer.

Now, refering to the original picture, I agree with everyone else who has stated that there are too many curves in too short of an area. You were trying too hard, and it shows. What the heck, I'll keep on critiquing. The picture is too fuzzy to be able to make a good ID on most of the plants, but the shrubs on the right side of the walk are too close. They will be into the walking space in no time. Why did you not take the edging/curbing to the corner of the house? Now you have a square area that is hard to mow. The grasses look to be the wrong variety for the location (unless the client doesn't want to see out of the bottom half of the windows), and also appear to be too close to the house. Find the Vista and Kichler website to find out what quality landscape lighting looks like. I hate those CHEAP "pagoda" lights! And why did you put them along the edge of the bed? The point is to highlight the sidewalk, so people can see where they are going.... I won't say anything about the red mulch.... I know I'm not perfect- far from it in fact- but I do try to think about these things and how the plants will grow and what the future will bring for each 'scape I design. Well, that's probably enough to piss you off, even though that really wasn't the intent. I want to ask one question though- How much training/education have you had in the landscape field?

Now, to Lombardi's pictures, the curbing looks much better than the original picture. Personally, I wouldn't have done it, probably would have used steel edging to retain the stone. But it does look better.

Anyway, I've said it before, but I'm extremely opinionated on certain things. Concrete curbing/edging just happens to be one of them....:)

Dan

GreenMonster
05-01-2004, 10:21 PM
;) :eek: ;) :eek: ;) :eek:

Wow Dan. I'm glad he didn't ask you how to calculate how many cubic yards of mulch he needed :D

D Felix
05-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Well, he did ask for thoughts, didn't he?:D

For whatever reason, I was in a mood of some sort yesterday, and just kept going.... Couldn't you tell?

JB Landscape
05-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Very plain and ugly. Use more variety and sizes of plants behind it!