PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

Grass Groomer
03-27-2004, 11:39 PM
This year i added chem apps to my list of services I have been somewhat successful with this venture so far but i am alitle concerned about my pricing Do i really need to measure footage or can i go by eye If footage how much per

sawdust
03-27-2004, 11:54 PM
If you don't measure how do you know how much chemical to put down. You must hae a awfully good eye.

Grass Groomer
03-28-2004, 12:03 AM
If spreader is set to correct ammount per 1000ft than a lawn is a lawn. right?

James Cormier
03-28-2004, 06:39 AM
How do you know that the spreader is set to the right sq ft, if you dont know the sq ft of the lawn your doing?

For direct mail marketing I guess sq ft to give a price, once sold I measure to track chemical usage. But, ive been measuring lawns for 19 years so I can guess and come pretty close.

Ive

Randy Scott
03-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Grass Groomer
If spreader is set to correct ammount per 1000ft than a lawn is a lawn. right?

So you're going to fertilize and then give them a price after seeing how much you use?

To answer your question, YES, you have to measure the property. Or you can keep shooting from the hip and guessing. However you prefer to run your business.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2004, 09:36 AM
If you "shoot from the hip" better make sure you're more than over sqf the property is. Best to measure.

jeff_0
03-30-2004, 11:52 PM
for priceing no you need to measure but for putting down the fert no you really don't.. if you know you sprayer is calibrated for 1 gallon per k that you walk in 45 secs. then if you measure it or not your still going do be still putting down the same amount. down fall is. you might be mixing too much or to little for the amount of work you need to do.

bobbygedd
03-31-2004, 12:43 PM
if you're doing granular, u need to know how many sq ft the property is to document your chemical usage(pounds). or, carry a scale

NC Big Daddy
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I think I'll start doing that today. And think......I wont have to carry the bulky measuring wheel anymore.

GrassBustersLawn
03-31-2004, 04:08 PM
In INDIANA we HAVE TO MEASURE IT (required by the State Chemist) and have a drawing of it, and have calculations as to Net Treatable Square Feet. It needs to have customer's Name/Address as well as a certain number of questions for TECHNICIAN to review (such as "Are you at the right address?") and this ALL has to be in your possession while doing the property.

SECONDLY, IF YOU DON'T MEASURE, how do you know if you aren't CHEATING YOURSELF on the price???

Mike

Mscotrid
04-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I can't believe were having this conversation. Of course you have to measure your properties. How can you give a quality estimate without knowing your sq. footage.

If not for the initial application but how about additional add-on services. How do you estimate a seed job, aeration any service this industry offers is based on know your job site.

If your 10% over in usage your costing yourself money, especially as your business grows. If your using only 10 bags to complete a round, whats 1 bag. Not that much in dollars. Now your business has grown your treating 20 million sq ft all miss measured or not measured. Now your 10% could be a few hundred bags. What would be your lost revenue?

Know your business, know your profits.

Turf Medic
04-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey....if you count your money on Monday, and on Friday, you have paid your expenses and have $2.89 left over, you are doing ok....don't worry about getting that expensive measuring wheel :D

Are you certified, and insured?????

Grass Groomer
04-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Yes I am certified and insured. The reason we are having this conversation is because like I said in my initial question this is my first year doing chemicals. So far I have made a lot of money mowing and have not measured a lawn yet before I cut it. I understand they are not the same thing but I thought you might want to know where I am coming from with this. Anyway isnt
3.8/1000 the same whether your hopper lasts 1/2 a lawn or fifty lawns. App rate dosent change based on a measuring wheel does it?

Turf Medic
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
We are required to track the amount of chemical per k. The only way that I know of to accomplish this is by knowing how many sq ft you are working with. Calibration of your machine can change or vary over time. Once again if you know how many sq ft you are working with, you can have half an idea if you are putting the correct amount on. The amount of time it takes to measure a lawn is so minimal, it amazes me anyone would argue about it. If you don't want to do it, don't, simple as that.