PDA

View Full Version : Extreme newbie here!

CBus
03-28-2004, 03:47 AM
My buddy and I just got our tax refunds back, got wild hairs up our you-know-whats, and decided to start a lawn care business. I've been in retail management for the past 5 years, so I think I'm good as far as bookkeeping, etc. If some of you could answer some questions I have, that'd be great.

A little info on what we've decided to do, first. We already have a truck, and we've decided not to buy any riding mowers yet. It's just the two of us, so we're buying two push mowers, two string trimmers, and an edger. We're gonna float out some business cards, print some flyers, knock on a few doors, and see what happens.

Now, my questions:

1. We're having a heck of a time thinking of a name. We're both named Mike, so we were just going to call it Mike & Mike's, but that sounds kind of two-bit/unproffessional IMO. Maybe if some of you could tell me how you came up with your names, that'd be extremely helpful.

2. Is there any equipment that we're REALLY going to need at first that I haven't thought of?

3. It's too late, my mind has gone blank. I can't think of 1 of the hundreds of other questions I thought of earlier. :confused:

goodbeus
03-28-2004, 08:03 AM
You've already made a few mistakes imo...first, you'll need a blower...second, partners is a bad thing...third, you have no real foundation for lawn care...I see countless guys get the same wild hair and do the same thing you are...spend a lot of money, then for whatever reason(it's to hot, the work is to hard, profit margin not as high as expected), they get out..sell their equipment at a loss...go work for someone for 6 months and then you'll know if this is what you want to do...

grass_cuttin_fool
03-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Be sure to get insurance and get a buisness liscense also

FFMED74
03-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Dont get push mowers except to do trimming areas. Go with a commercial grade mower 36" or 48 ", like any of the sponsor mowers and don't spend the $$$ yet on a hydro, enless you can afford it. Look at used stuff too. A homeowner trimmer is worthless, it won't last you a few weeks at most. Go with Echo, Stihl or Shindiawa. Hit your local dealers and find the best deal possible, if you have trouble, PM me I have another idea or two.
The blower is a must, at least a good hand held. I also don't see a problem with a partner, if you can work off each others strengths and weakness' You might be the money man and he is the sales guy, it can work, but it can cause huge problems if you aren't careful. Just my opinion.

bubat48433
03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Don't let anyone talk you out of doing what you want to do. If you don't try this, you will spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened. You are bound to make mistakes. Promise yourself that you will learn from them and move on. I once did a job for $35 that ended up takin me 2 days because I allowed this nice little old lady to add "little" things to a basic leaf raking job that I thought would take no more that an hour. HANG IN THERE. You'll be glad you did.

Carolina Cutter
03-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by goodbeus
You've already made a few mistakes imo...first, you'll need a blower...second, partners is a bad thing...third, you have no real foundation for lawn care...I see countless guys get the same wild hair and do the same thing you are...spend a lot of money, then for whatever reason(it's to hot, the work is to hard, profit margin not as high as expected), they get out..sell their equipment at a loss...go work for someone for 6 months and then you'll know if this is what you want to do...

Well said and thought out. Good first advice. Just as an observation....I am not downtalking anyone here....but, we all talk of the "new scrubs" (by the way...scrub is a term that I just cannot stand) or whatever you want to call them and then we constantly get questions on here pretaining to the old "I've got $500 and a broke down truck some junk equipment and I am going into business" and whats the first thing that a lot of us do.....we jump right in and give away all the secrets of how to make this work. I guess I am just venting......I know when I started I learned from trail and error. There were four Lawncare companies advertising in the paper (5 years ago) and now today there are 19. I really think that every one thinks that they can go out and do shody work and make a fortune meanwhile slowly putting us out of business. Don't get me wrong, I love competition and I will tell a customer if they want a $10 cut job thats just what they will get from some of the weekend warriors and then they can call me and get a quility service. I did not ask anyone to hand me the guidelines or directions, not that there is anything wrong with that. I am glad that there are so many people on here who are willing to help and answer questions.....Lord knows I have had a few. But I am saying that if these people are really serious and not just "starting business" to lowball or make a few quick bucks, THEY WILL DO SOME REASEARCH ON THEIR OWN and learn the things that are needed. Once again, I am not saying that the replies are great and that they aren't much appreciated but I have to ask......"Are we......the established lawn care business people going to be the death of our own trade by training the scrubs?" Do you think Sam Walton gave away all of his trade secrets? No, if he had there is NO WAY Wal-Mart would be as large as it is today. I spent countless hours in the library reading books on business and lawncare to help with my business. Nobody can grow your business other than you and that takes commitment and dedication....a desire to discover the knowledge.........:o :confused:

CBus
03-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, well, maybe I'm not as extreme a newbie as some of you apparently think I am. I must not have explained things very well. I worked for a greens department on a golf course for three years. Best job I have ever had, this is DEFINITELY what I want to do.

We're only hoping that the equipment we're getting will get us through this summer. (We do have a blower, by the way. Forgot to mention that.) We had a lot of other stuff to spend most of our refund on. Then, next year, if things go halfway decently this year, we're going to buy high quality, commercial equipment and really dive in head first.

And, sorry, I didn't realize I was asking for any "secrets". Christ, people ask about pricing, bidding, etc. and it's no problem, I ask about how you guys came up with your names and get lambasted. As far as needing to do my own research, I have been. 2-3 hours a day for the last month or so. I've found out about insurance, banking, workers comp, striping, waste removal, clean ups, marketing, licenses, etc.

And, unless you guys are working in Weirton, WV (highly unlikely), I'm not trying to "steal" your customers.

So: grass_cuttin_fool, FFMED74, and bubat48433, thanks. Goodbeus and Merlin: GET BENT.

DLS1
03-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CBus
So: grass_cuttin_fool, FFMED74, and bubat48433, thanks. Goodbeus and Merlin: GET BENT.

Oh great another new member with a bad attitude. Can't we all just get along?

:D :D :D :D

CBus
03-29-2004, 12:04 AM
How do I have a bad attitude? I just asked a couple simple questions, and got called a scrub, was accused of doing "shoddy work" and asking people to "hand me the guidelines or directions", and told that I'm not willing to do the research on my own.

Yeah, I've got a real crappy attitude. http://www.nfl-fans.com/html/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

kootoomootoo
03-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Its not just you its the 100,000 lurkers out there who just sit back and take notes.
2 push mowers a partner, 100 flyers and a pick up is scrub central. Now guys will be feeding the 1000's of lurkers with all the info they need again.

kootoomootoo
03-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Spend $20000 on mowing equipment,
a used truck and trailer, do 20000 flyers with price marked on each flyer and be sure to do it cheaper as price is all you have going for you. Screw insurance and dont pay tax. Sell your equipment next winter like 90% unless like some guys on here you have some sort of intelligence and can run a business. Theres your business plan for the lurkers.

goodbeus
03-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Ok, well, maybe I'm not as extreme a newbie as some of you apparently think I am. I must not have explained things very well. I worked for a greens department on a golf course for three years. Best job I have ever had, this is DEFINITELY what I want to do.

We're only hoping that the equipment we're getting will get us through this summer. (We do have a blower, by the way. Forgot to mention that.) We had a lot of other stuff to spend most of our refund on. Then, next year, if things go halfway decently this year, we're going to buy high quality, commercial equipment and really dive in head first.

And, sorry, I didn't realize I was asking for any "secrets". Christ, people ask about pricing, bidding, etc. and it's no problem, I ask about how you guys came up with your names and get lambasted. As far as needing to do my own research, I have been. 2-3 hours a day for the last month or so. I've found out about insurance, banking, workers comp, striping, waste removal, clean ups, marketing, licenses, etc.

And, unless you guys are working in Weirton, WV (highly unlikely), I'm not trying to "steal" your customers.

Well since I gave you some advice from talking to and watching new guys start up and sell out, starting the same way you are, this is an observation from 16 years of being in the lawncare business, and you told me to get bent, I'm going to tell you what I really think...first, your second post, it sounds like you're trying to come across as someone with a little more experience than what you actually have...your first post says it all...if you had 3 years of experience like you said, you wouldn't have asked the questions you did and all us veterans here know it...second, it's you that's going to get bent because you can't take constructive criticism...you blow up here, wait till you start dealing with customers, equipment failure from the shoddy equipment you have, and the business partnership you have...I think it's great you want to start your own lawn business, but I don't think you have the patience for it, and we really don't know where you're coming from...

Carolina Cutter
03-29-2004, 09:30 AM

I am sorry if that came across as if it were directed at you. If you would have read the very top of my post you would have seen that it was directed at NOBODY, just venting. If you want to be in this business you cannot let everything bother you. Those were observations in general and just venting some steam. I hope you do good for I want everyone to be successful I just get tired of having to disprove the stereotype that so many get labeled with from those who just go out "to make a few bucks" and aren't really serious about it. Once again, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers was just venting, sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Carolina Cutter
03-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by kootoomootoo
Its not just you its the 100,000 lurkers out there who just sit back and take notes.
2 push mowers a partner, 100 flyers and a pick up is scrub central. Now guys will be feeding the 1000's of lurkers with all the info they need again.

Thank you for help in clarifying what I was trying to say. I wrote in my post that it was not directed towards anybody but IF WW ARE GOING TO BE BUSINESSPEOPLE than damnit, we cannot tell everything we know. I don't mind help here and there but do you really think you can walk into any large cooperation and they are going to tell you everything. Dang people....the only one who can help you is you!

Carolina Cutter
03-29-2004, 10:03 AM
My buddy and I just got our tax refunds back, got wild hairs up our you-know-whats, and decided to start a lawn care business. I've been in retail management for the past 5 years, so I think I'm good as far as bookkeeping, etc. If some of you could answer some questions I have, that'd be great.

We already have a truck, and we've decided not to buy any riding mowers yet. It's just the two of us, so we're buying two push mowers, two string trimmers, and an edger.

Since you told me to "get bent" I am now going to tell you what I really think also. One thing to remember here is that if you don't think the truth hurts try it. Business IS NOT for the weak. You will get your feelings stepped on many times through the journey so you had better get tough skinned.

The very first line of your post is what got me going. That is what made you sound like all the rest. "Got our tax refunds back...........start a lawn care business". Now, looking at your profile I see that you are 26 years old....and have been in retail management for the past 5 years, that means when you worked for the golf course you must have been somewhere between 18 and 20 years old. Summer job? Second, I have to ask...if you are in management (enlighten us with the type of business you currently work at) at 26 you must be doing quite well at your job, why all of a sudden did your tax return suddenly change the course of your life?

In your second paragraph you stated that you have a truck but you have decided not to buy any riding mowers yet and that you are buying two push mowers, two string trimmers, and an edger. Then you come back in a later post and boast of what equipment you already have. What gives?

Listen, I don't want to fight with you. Just wanted to vent in the first place. I am sorry if you have taken this wrong, but next time before you post a message, think about what you are saying and think about the image you want to display and then do it, be the most professional you can be.:rolleyes:

Carolina Cutter
03-29-2004, 10:27 AM
How do I have a bad attitude? I just asked a couple simple questions, and got called a scrub, was accused of doing "shoddy work" and asking people to "hand me the guidelines or directions", and told that I'm not willing to do the research on my own.

Yeah, I've got a real crappy attitude. http://www.nfl-fans.com/html/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Man, everytime I read these messages I get a little more ticked. Let's look at this post.

ONCE AGAIN, if you would have read my first post I clearly stated that "I am not downtalking anyone, this is an observation".

NO ONE called you a scrub, if you reread the post I clearly stated that "scrub" is a term the I hate so why would I then call you one?

NO ONE accused you of doing shoody work. No one has ever seen your work.....remember you are not in lawncare yet, you are just now getting you tax refund and making the decision to start, right?

AND I DID NOT SAY you asked anyone to give you the guidelines or directions.

AND I NEVER SAID that you were not willing to do the reasearch on your own, I merely said that ANYONE who is serious about starting a business will do reasearch. Hell, I do it everyday, I'm always looking for newer and better ways to do things and to gain knowledge in order to grow my business, it's MY BUSINESS and I want it to be successful. I want it to be created by me and be made successful by me not follow everyone else. What has worked here for others may not work for me. I do however appreciate their guidance when it is needed. And that is what we are doing for you. Trying to guide you on the path of life. Trying to make you aware of what is involved with this business and the risks associated with. It is not just going out and cranking up the "ole Murray" and getting paid. You are talking about a business where the equipment purchases alone can require very large capitol ( you do know what capitol is, right) You can easily get yourself in way deep. Insurance, you do plan on getting some of that, right, is very expensive but a MUST HAVE. You see, "johnny come latelys" are what is preventing this business from growing. And that's is the subject of this whole conversation......people who think they can just go mow and get paid during the summer. When is the last time you saw anyone say.......I think I'll just go to some new housing area and start being a plumber and put in some pipes. It doesn't happen.

When you worked at the golf course you may have learned a lot about lawn maint. but you didn't have to employ any people skills like you do when you are out on your own. Without people skills, there will be NO income and with NO income = NO BUSINESS!

AND YES, and this point I REALLY DO THINK YOU HAVE A CRAPPY ATTITUDE!:nono:

monkey9197
03-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DLS1
Oh great another new member with a bad attitude. Can't we all just get along?

:D :D :D :D

no offense but this forum is filled with people who think all newbies and kids are A holes. we dont get treated with respect and no one enjoys helping thats why the new kids have attitudes u all treat them like they are a POS

CBus
03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by merlin
When you worked at the golf course you may have learned a lot about lawn maint. but you didn't have to employ any people skills like you do when you are out on your own. Without people skills, there will be NO income and with NO income = NO BUSINESS!

Retail management, brutha, retail management. NO industry requires more people skills.

LHise
03-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Just Starting In Business
A forum for people who are just starting their business. Ask questions here and seasoned veterans will answer!!

Are the titles to the forums misleading, or are the forums designed according to the forum discriptions.

First, I am not in the lawn business at present, however, I am exploring the possibilites. My experience in business is within the retail and finance segment of the manufactured housing industry. After nineteen years of retailing, I suppose I would consider myself a manufactured housing veteran and could mentor newbies coming into MFH business (unless they were working for the dealer across the street). I find this site very interesting and somewhat informative.

In the business world there is a marketing term called "networking". This site would appear to be designed just for that purpose. Networking does not mean that you give all your time tested, successful business plans to your direct competition (unless they want to pay for your expertice i.e. Bass Landscaping.) It simple means that you give and receive help (direction, advice, ect.) to achieve your business goals by networking with other people.

I will agree that unless one has a sound business plan, the ability to provide a service or offer a product is of little importance. For "newbies" here, like myself, one might want to check out SCORE.com. This is a non-profit organization of retired executives that will mentor you with your business. The SBA endorses this organizaton.

By the way, what is the very best mower manufacture on the market today. I could spend hours researching and reading all the marketing hype from each company (they are all the very best in the indusry), or perhaps, I could get a heads up from some of the industry veterans within this forum.

Just asking.

zmak
03-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I think before any one goes out and starts up a lawn care business they should work a few seasons with an established company. I give a newbie .... mabey... till the first week in July.
If you do stick it out you will know what equipment you need among other things.

Wells
03-30-2004, 12:03 AM
CBus,

I say go for it.... I know a lot of people who have started out with much less then you guys have. Heck, the year I started out I was using a push broom instead of a blower. I was truly the essence of the word scrub, but with time comes better equipment and more clients.

You'll run into people on this site that think if you can't afford 3 walk-behinds 2 ZTR's and a trailer full of stuff that you shouldn't be in this business. Thats all B.S. and I think they must have forgotten that they were the newbie once with limited funds.

You need to a least follow your instincts and start up your business, If you don't do it you always wonder WHAT IF!!
It's better to have tried and failed than too never have tried.

Good luck with business this year.

lavan
03-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I have been reading this forum for awhile and I enjoy it and I enjoy helping people out in the industry because I did not have that help when I started out. We have a couple of young people that want to go into business and they have chosen our industry. I will give a quick highlight of myself. I had no idea of what was going on when I started into this business I went out and bid on a city contract to mow 5 parks, edge, blow, litter control. I won the bid and probably bid a little low but I went out and bought equipment and went to work and since then I have been on the road of success and partly from talking and networking with others in my area. I owe a lot of the help that they have given me and they have always told me that they are not going to charge me for there advice but to help out the next person and that is what I do.
These kids are asking for our advice and assistance in to what is the right way to run shop. I love the competition the new guys bring and it is fun for me to see those guys driving down the street with mowers in the trunk of there car. Yes if you want to call these scrubs but we all know they will only be around for a year or two. But come on guys lets stop being so hard on people who ask for advice or some kind of assistance from us. I live in Dallas Texas and the one thing I tell anyone there is more than enough business for all of us. Come on guys lets check our egos at the door.

Good Luck!!!!!

CBus
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
*sigh*

"if you had 3 years of experience like you said, you wouldn't have asked the questions you did and all us veterans here know it"

Really? So, three years experience on a GREENS department, and I should know everything I'll need? Great. I'll run out and get a Steiner, a couple of greens mowers, some sand trap rakes, and one of those big-a** Toro mowers with 7 decks.

"wait till you start dealing with customers, equipment failure from the shoddy equipment you have, and the business partnership you have"

I work in retail. I DO deal with customers. My equipment DOES break down at work (not because it's "shoddy", but because it's mechanical. Anything with moving parts can break down, regardless of the quality.)

"you must be doing quite well at your job, why all of a sudden did your tax return suddenly change the course of your life?"

I've been wanting to start my own business for a while, I was just never sure what kind and didn't think I had the money. I was considering going back to work at the golf course part time this summer, because I enjoyed the work so much. Once I realized that I had the desire and - due to the tax return - the funds, I decided to go for it.

"you come back in a later post and boast of what equipment you already have."

I boasted? I said I have a blower. Please tell me how that constitutes boasting.

"you didn't have to employ any people skills like you do when you are out on your own. Without people skills, there will be NO income and with NO income = NO BUSINESS!"

As a result of my experience in retail management, I am well aware of what is involved in human resources (labor, overtime, workers comp, motivation, hiring, disciplining, firing, etc.)

Wells
03-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Cbus,

You need to take it all this negative advice with a grain of salt. Don't let it discourage your decision to go into business.

You may just end up being one of the most successfull lawn care business's in WV.

Also keep this in mind: How many so called Veterans are out there pulling their equipment around with an Astro Van???(goodbeus)
That has professionalism writen all over it...
I'd be curious if he even has a trailer or just pulls his equipment out of the van.

Wells
03-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Goodbeus,

Sorry for the slam.
It's was uncalled for.

Just confused by why your not trying to support and help someone new to the business.

I only wish I had discovered this site when I was new, it's full of good info and great people willing to share the secrets to their success, but if I had taken the beating that Cbus just took I don't think I would be back for more.

Dont you think Cbus deserves the same respect as any person asking a question on this site does no matter what his level of expertise and experience might be.

goodbeus
03-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Wells
Goodbeus,

Sorry for the slam.
It's was uncalled for.

Just confused by why your not trying to support and help someone new to the business.

I only wish I had discovered this site when I was new, it's full of good info and great people willing to share the secrets to their success, but if I had taken the beating that Cbus just took I don't think I would be back for more.

Dont you think Cbus deserves the same respect as any person asking a question on this site does no matter what his level of expertise and experience might be.

As for the Astro...it's completely lettered, it pulls a 20' trailer with a cage and it gets better gas mileage than full-size 4x4's running with v/8's...I've had clients call my office because THAT van looks more professional as compared to a run-down POS full-size truck...I can go out and pay cash for a dually, equipped with a deisel, but it doesn't make sense if there's nothing wrong mechanically with what I do use and it's excellent for pulling my rig...you assume to much, and that's the mother of all screw ups...now, go back and read my posts...I gave him good advice, then he tells me to get bent...he says that he's an extreme newbie, than come to find out, he has 3 years experience...that's not a newbie, and I even told him I think it's great you want to start your own business...

Zach76
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Wells, I'm fairly new to this site myself, and I have always loved checking out some of the pictures you post in the off topic forum. I am now also extremely impressed with your class. Its people like you who keep me coming back to LawnSite for more. Keep it up my friend, and have a good season.:waving:

goodbeus
03-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Wells

Absolutely...until they tell me to get bent for no reason...

CBus
03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
"I see countless guys get the same wild hair and do the same thing you are...spend a lot of money, then for whatever reason(it's to hot, the work is to hard, profit margin not as high as expected), they get out"

What were you saying about assuming too much? Too friggin' hot? Are you kiddin' me?

goodbeus
03-31-2004, 04:06 AM
Kidding...no, not at all...you may not like the advice, but it's those facts that newbies don't last long...there are many here who agree...that's not saying you won't make it and maybe become the largest maintenance company in your area...but to do that, you'll need to stop raving here and spending that time signing up new clients...:rolleyes:

kootoomootoo
03-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Retail management.....see TACO BELL

goodbeus
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
lmfao....I was thinking the same thing today,lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hustlinfireman
03-31-2004, 06:42 PM

Carolina Cutter
03-31-2004, 06:50 PM

Oh, you have done it now.........the wrath you are going to have to endure for that comment.

Ok, I'm stepping out of this because I guess the guys got it all figured out and doesn't need comments. But what I don't understand is that if he already had all the answers then why did he come here?:confused:

CBus
03-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Taco Bell isn't retail, it's food service.

See Lazarus, J.C. Penneys, Kaufman's, Sears, etc.

CBus
03-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Ok, I'm stepping out of this because I guess the guys got it all figured out and doesn't need comments. But what I don't understand is that if he already had all the answers then why did he come here?

I never said I had all the answers. But I also don't need to be called a scrub who buys crappy equipment, does shoddy work, quits because it's too hot, and runs a Taco Bell.

kootoomootoo
03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
sorry...retail management..see walmart.

5 years experience i guess means 50 cents above minimum wage.

CBus
03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
sorry...retail management..see walmart.

5 years experience i guess means 50 cents above minimum wage.

Riiiight.... http://www.nfl-fans.com/html/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://www.nfl-fans.com/html/emoticons/coffee.gif

Wells
03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
CBus,

It seems these guys are not going to let up so it's better for you to be the bigger person here, let this thread die and move on. Don't let this one experience discourage you.

kootoomootoo
03-31-2004, 07:39 PM
RELAX........................................................

Carolina Cutter
03-31-2004, 09:43 PM
I never said I had all the answers. But I also don't need to be called a scrub who buys crappy equipment, does shoddy work, quits because it's too hot, and runs a Taco Bell.

ONCE AGAIN........You were never called a scrub by me.

ONCE AGAIN.........I never said YOU do shoddy work, you don't do any work in this field yet.

ONCE AGAIN.........I said in my original post.....read it again....that what I said was not DIRECTED AT ANYBODY.

ONCE AGAIN..........I WISH YOU LUCK.:dizzy:

Toehill
03-31-2004, 11:42 PM
BRUTHA? That spells attitude

CBus
04-01-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by merlin
ONCE AGAIN........You were never called a scrub by me.

ONCE AGAIN.........I never said YOU do shoddy work, you don't do any work in this field yet.

ONCE AGAIN.........I said in my original post.....read it again....that what I said was not DIRECTED AT ANYBODY.

ONCE AGAIN..........I WISH YOU LUCK.:dizzy:

Oh, right, forgot. "I hate the word scrub, but I'm going to use it several times in one post anyway. A post that, while not directed at you, was inspired by you."

CBus
04-01-2004, 05:39 AM
RELAX........................................................

Sure. I'll remember not to defend myself the next time someone takes a cheap shot at me.

PMLAWN
04-01-2004, 08:52 AM
CBus Good luck with the new venture. If you need money to live on, keep the other job and start part time. Figure your profit first---than YOUR pay--- than your costs/overhead. Now you know what to charge. DO NOT LOW BALL!!!. Your are doing this to get money, not jobs. The only number that matters at the end of the day is the $ / profit. Keep that thought in all your business decisions. An earler reply said that you might pass on the hydro to start. You are from W VA. My guess is a lot of hills. The hydro will work so much better for you. I'm in NC ( hills) and I wish I had bought the hydro. The belt will over-run down hill, is hard to hold a straight line across a side hill, and does not back up. Price and Cost are two different things. Price is the $'s you give for it. Cost is what is takes to run it in $- time- effort- and how profitable it is to your business. Ask questions here (you will get some good answers, this is a great site) do a lot of searching, and test -test-test any machine you want to buy.Good luck again.

KL Squared
04-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Here are my 2 bits of advice in getting started.

1. Buy a used commercial walk behind ASAP
2. In the winter check with the local Votech colleges and take some Horticulture classes (ie. Turf Grass management)
3. Advertize, Advertize, Advertize even if it only flyers and business cards

Good luck

chris28
04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
CBus,
Keep the faith. Start off small and dont over extend yourself.
On the name question: 2 mikes and a mower, mike X2 mowing,
mikes masterfull mowing.... just keep trying different ideas until you narrow it down to a few and ask your friends what they think.
definately get a backpack blower and a backup trimmer. Good luck.
Chris28

youngdude
04-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Most likely you wont get any commerical accounts this late in the year. If you are doining only resiental lawns dont get insurance unless you have 20 plus. May sound stupid but save some money first. Dont go speding all your money on top of the line equipment. So many people have done this around my neighhood and now they are broke.

Turf n Dirt
04-02-2004, 06:38 PM
:cool:
Business Liscense
Insurance
Business cards
Magnetic or painted sign for the truck
The best used equipment you can find
Ask local landscape companys and equipment sales companys to refer your company when customers call for services that they dont provide.

The name should reflect the type of services you provide.
Mike an Mike's could be a plumber or a dentist, and everything in between.

Ask everyone for some examples. Everyone from the neighbor kids to that guy hangs at the local pub. One name will stick out as the name that fits you.

Good luck........
How long is the cutting season? 26 or 35 cuts?
It all makes a difference. And dont underbid anything. That hurts everyone........

FarrisFrog
04-03-2004, 08:26 PM
:D

FarrisFrog
04-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Harsh on the newbie! We need to remember when we started out. He is just asking for a little advice. What I would have given for a little advice. I learned it all the hard way. I have been inbusiness for 3 years so I guess I am still a newbie. I got a business loan, equipment and and insurance (luckily my wife is and insuranc agent so that helped. I have 3 employees and business is good but I wish I would have had advice when I started.

FarrisFrog
04-03-2004, 08:28 PM
:D

mtnlawn
04-04-2004, 12:25 PM
HERE'S MY .02- SINCE EVERYBODY ELSE HAS SOME- Why don't the "experienced, professional, established" LCO's who hate to see anyone start up a company NOT visit this forum- I'm fairly certain newbies don't come here for ridicule & scorn, but advice- let's face it people, lawncare is NOT rocket science- there is science involved (turf science ;)), and to be successful you do need some intelligence, fortitude, and a tremendous work ethic- more so than in other small biz due to the long hours in the sun, etc. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink- yes, the information here is helpful, but if people don't use it (as is human nature) it is worthless. The true scrubs fade away- and you get to buy their equipment with one season on it at fire sale prices. Everybody here had a starting point. There are volumes of work on landscape business and business in general. Manicuring grounds is not some closely held secret- if you don't like newbies- don't come to this forum- go sharpen blades or something. Ugh- I especially liked the post where we were compared to plumbers- I wonder if that person realizes how much more difficult that profession is, and what the conseqences of a badly sweated pipe are vs. a badly scalped lawn (I guess plumbers could be inadventantly creating water features under houses- I bet that boils the blood of some people here- what nerve) LOL.

hontor
04-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Amazing, I thought this was going to be a forum with some substance and some real educational benefits pertaining to lawn care. Instead, it's just like all the other forums. CBus is excited about his new business venture and was reaching out to those of you have been in the business for some tips and advice. Isn't that what a lawnsite forum is for?? Sharing best practices, helping each other in the business? Instead, because he's "new" he's immediately critisized and treated poorly. I'm sure once I start to ask any "questions" unfortunately I'll be treated in the same manner as CBus. CBus...best of luck to you and your new business. I was in retail management for ten years, I don't blame you getting out. Go get em...

pushmower
04-06-2004, 11:46 PM
two word s for success.......LOW BALL

lawn perfection
04-08-2004, 03:31 PM
cbus, I say go for it! Live and Learn. No better education than hands on. Just don't bite off more than you can chew!!!!