PDA

View Full Version : cutting back liriope(monkey grass)..your approach

GarPA
03-28-2004, 05:27 AM
I hate cutting this stuff back. I have one of our commercial properties that has this stuff all over and its big and mature.Both my helpers will be on another job next week and I;ll have to do this cleanup by myself. Usually I'll cut them back with the gas hedge shears.

Have any of you tried tying they up like we do ornamental grasses before we cut them?

I;m all ears for an easier approach to cutting this miserable stuff....thanks

NAT
03-28-2004, 07:42 AM
TAKE push mower with bagger ,suck and clean,hope it helps and astring trimmer works the best for me.

grassdaddy
03-28-2004, 08:35 AM
I also like to mow and bag them,if I can get to them.Almost lost a thumb,(BLED LIKE A STUCK HOG),holding monkey grass up while wife cut it with gas hedgetrimmers.:(

Harry0
03-28-2004, 08:49 AM
line trimmer-you can stand up and wack away-Harry

BW4486
03-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Most types of lirope once they get over grown the best choice is to dig them up , seperate them and replant. But with mondo (Monkey) grass you can just cut it way back and it will grow back

thill
03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
BW4486 hit it square on.

They dig up relatively easily, seperate very easily and look fantastic with a bit of space between em.

There will be a lot of em left over to be transplanted or transported to another site

D Felix
03-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Best way I've found is about a 10% glyphosate solution sprayed over the top in a very liberal manner.:D

If that's not acceptable, mowing is the only way I know how. Our hedge shears don't do well in the stuff....

Dan

Evan528
03-31-2004, 04:14 PM
We cut alot of Loriope back last week. I used primarily hedge trimmers and it took its toll on my already bad back bending over holding 30 inch trimmers all day. Weed wackers work but make more of a mess in the process. Thank god we are almost done with spring cleanups. My back cant take any more!!!

GarPA
03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT REMEMBERING TO POST THIS .....this stuff is normally a back bending hassle....well yesterday I said screw this and got out the split shaft echo...bored a larger hole for the .10 shin ripping line....and went at it....again, this was BIG liriope..at least a foot across and thick

this is not BS...I first trimmed it vertically getting the outside growth knocked off (be VERY careful. as this line is wicked)...raked it out...then went back at the tops...raked it out...then did a final trim....30 plus BIG lirope cut, trimmed, neat , and tarped to the trailer in less than 1 hour.....and thats no bull.....

just wanted to share this with all of you who have been so helpful to me over the past few years....try it....you might be amazed how well this works......I;m actually kind of proud of myself in that those of you who know me know that I'm not one to push the limits on a particular tool application.....amazing what some of our tools will do for us....did I lower my price,,,,NO,...but watch your face/teeth...this line is not people friendly

clay duncan
03-31-2004, 06:09 PM
i use a stihl weedeater with an articulating hedge trimmer attachment. rotate hedge trimmer to ground level and trim away. i just trimmed around 200ft. of monkey grass in about 30 min. and never had to bend over until time to rake it up. one of the best pieces of equipment i have bought to date..... clay

crawdad
03-31-2004, 08:28 PM
I used to cut it by hand with hedge shears. No more. Mow it with the lawnboy, rake it up.
Bam. Done. Looks just as good, or better.
Crawdad

BW4486
03-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey garpa are you sure its monkey grass.....

GarPA
04-01-2004, 07:35 AM
no I dont think its monkey grass...I think that stuff is mostly down South...I have a customer who calls it monkey grass but I dont think it is...but this was BIG liriope...I cant imgaine my helpless Honda 21 being able to mow this Crawdad without stalling out but I believe you

BW4486
04-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Monkey grass is smaller than most other types of lirope. It sounds like your probally talking about Evergreen Giant.That variety can get huge and I wouldn't recomend trying to mow it.
You can trim it up w/ hedge trimmers or shears but eventually you will have to pull it up, seperate it and replant it.

culand
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
This grass you are talking about seems to be Giant Green Liriope. This grass is hard to cut, and not with a mower,You got the right tool. Gas hedge trimmers.
We cut them looking like they had a bur. This thin out the top and sides. There is no other way unless you thin them out.

They look good with a big blue flower out there heads.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

Landscape and Lawn Care

ElephantNest
04-01-2004, 08:00 PM
If it flowers, it's liriope. If it's large, it's giant liriope. The mondo is the monkey grass, smaller and no flowers.

Shindaiwa all the way. GarPa did the same as I do, knocks it out.

DowntoEarthLLC
04-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Your probably talking about 'Big Blue'

Monkey grass is what alot of non plant people call it.

I have one customer that calls it "LerEoPe"

Mondograss is the short groundcover version of liriope, spreads, 'big blue' and the likes don't do too much spreading, just get bigger and need to be chopped in half.

Just wackem back with the weed eater. Its hard to kill these things. They love a good short spring haircut.

crawdad
04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
no I dont think its monkey grass...I think that stuff is mostly down South...I have a customer who calls it monkey grass but I dont think it is...but this was BIG liriope...I cant imgaine my helpless Honda 21 being able to mow this Crawdad without stalling out but I believe you

That's why I use the lawnboy, not the honda. Hey, if it's "giant whatever" I'll use a bigger mower. I got 'em in all sizes.
Crawdad payup

grassredneck
04-08-2004, 12:02 AM
I have noticed that some of my customer's consider ALL ornamental grasses to be some type of monkeygrass as if it's a family of grasses and not one specific type

mdscaper
04-08-2004, 11:57 PM
mondo grass/monkey grass=ophiopogon japonicus;

liriope(big blue is a very common variety)=some customers call monkey grass;

Question is,why the heck is it called monkey grass?

yardmonkey
04-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that the most important thing about trimming liriope is not how but when. It should be cut in February or early March so as not to damage the new shoots. I'm not sure how big of an issue that is, maybe the damaged new shoots just grow back anyway, but this is what I have been taught. I have had several customers ask me to trim their "monkey grass" in the last week and I have counselled them that we should have done that a month or two ago and I point out the new shoots that you can see coming up. Even in early March there may be new shoots hiding down in the plants. ( I guess you could cut it in January, but the colder it is, probably the more shock to the plant).

There is also no need to cut it. As far as I know, the reason to trim it is just to get rid of browned edges, which are not always present.

I use a mower set to 3" (or maybe sometimes lower) if I can get a mower to it. Otherwise a weedeater is good for larger areas, though it can leave a raggedy look. I sometimes use hand-held shears. I know people who use gas powered shears on it.

To go ahead and please the customers who are asking for this too late, I use little grass shears or hedge shears to just cut the brown sides off instead of cutting the whole plant and damaging the new shoots.

BW4486
04-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by yardmonkey

There is also no need to cut it. As far as I know, the reason to trim it is just to get rid of browned edges, which are not always present.

If its there for any length of time there will be a need to trim it other than brown edges

cglservice
04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
It does not havet to be trimed it will continue to grow and thickin without being trimed, trimming is mainly done to promote
new plant growth and it just looks much nicer in the spring after being cut.

GarPA
04-12-2004, 06:23 AM
CGL...I agree...after a spring haircut it looks much nicer for the season

BW4486
04-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Ok mondo grass may not need to be trimmed but just about all other types of liriope will need to be trimmed about once every one to two years

NCSULandscaper
04-12-2004, 05:24 PM
21" mower with bagger