PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio drainage solution?

conepile
03-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I’m trying to determine the fix for a drainage problem on a client’s paver patio. This is an existing patio around a pool, which has a seating area that apparently floods in heavy rain, overflowing into the pool. The pavers are on top of a concrete patio, as it is part of the apron surrounding the pool (concrete must stay at least three feet around the pool). The area that floods is a low area, with a retaining wall in two directions, the pool in the opposite direction, and turf/bed in the last direction. I see the turf/bed area as the direction to send the water, as I can dig into it and get lower than the patio. The area is about 30’ x 20’.

My question is this: Short of demolishing the concrete (except for three feet) and putting in a proper base that is graded toward the turf area (where I could then install a catch basin or something like it), what would be a less expensive option to offer my client? I was considering taking up the pavers, cutting the concrete, and installing a channel drain that would be beneath the pavers, and would discharge into a 4” tile buried in the turf/bed area (this would then discharge at a point approximately twenty feet away, and one foot below the elevation of the concrete that is under the pavers). I realize that I am trying to mitigate flooding from a heavy rain, so I don’t think the space between the pavers is adequate for drainage in this situation. Putting a channel drain even with the surface of the pavers may be unsightly, though I wouldn’t rule it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to tackle the problem?

Lanelle
03-28-2004, 04:05 PM
There are very narrow channel drains (less than 2" wide) that are routinely installed in pool decks in this area.

PSUturf
03-28-2004, 08:07 PM
If you put any kind of drain under the pavers you could have a problem with frost heaving the drain.