PDA

View Full Version : Heads up: Trailer prices on the RISE!

Rook00
03-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Just a heads-up, fellas:

As most of you know, the price of steel and plywood have skyrocketed. Haulmark has increased prices 6%, among most other companies. My local trailer dealer (many brands) is having to increase prices about $20/week on base open trailers and HUNDREDS on enclosed trailers ($4100-$4800)! Buy now or wait till the end of the summer (scrap-metal might be dropping in price and China/Japan has bought up most of the steel they need [that's a good thing]) Still probably good to buy now.

What are your trailer places doing?

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I talked to the place I have build my trailer, he wouldnt even give me a solid price until I actually placed the order for a trailer, he said its varying alot just day by day also.

sodzilla
03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I know what you mean about steel prices going up. I just finished building my trailer on Saturday. I ordered the steel 2 1/2 weeks ago. I ordered my steel on a Monday. If I would have ordered it the friday before I would have saved about 30%. A length of steel went from $20 to $28 over the weekend.

A friend of mine was looking at a dump trailer last month. He went to buy it on Saturday and the price was up. I think he said it went up like $500. He asked the salesman why and the salesman told him steel prices were rising. He said why does that matter know this trailers been here for 4 months. The salesman wouldn't budge so he didn't buy it.

The guy that delivered my steel said that the Chinese would be done buying all their steel in about 4 months. So hopefully then prices will come back down. I doubt it, but lets hope.

troblandscape
03-28-2004, 10:54 PM
I know how you can avoid the price increases.... buy used

lawncare3
03-28-2004, 11:07 PM
I apid $1200 for a 5x10 OPEN about a year ago.. are you telling that it will be MORE?

bhm
03-28-2004, 11:08 PM
the cost of all equipment is going up it sucks

sodzilla
03-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
I apid $1200 for a 5x10 OPEN about a year ago.. are you telling that it will be MORE?

That's more than I spent building my own 6x16 with 18" beavertail and folding side ramp. Tandem axel with brakes.
Granted it took me some time to build it. Bid jobs in the morning and worked on trailer in the afternoon.

rvsuper
03-29-2004, 07:17 AM
Rook,
Maybe you should stroll down to Jerry James Trailers in Sikeston, MO. I just ordered a 6.5x12 from them and they actually were lowering the price because tires were going down, and a few other things.

Rook00
03-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Well, you can still find good deals here and there. Also, most places will still sell their in-stock stuff for what they've got in them. . . my local seller never has anything in stock. . . everything coming in is ordered and goes right back out.

Bill Davis
03-29-2004, 11:14 PM
The Chinese are building some big Hydroelectric plants which will be the biggest in the world! That is why the price is so high.

Rook00
03-29-2004, 11:48 PM
The main reason that is thought to have sparked this is the ending of a tarrif on steel. After that, China and Japan bought up and took a TON of steel (actually, BILLIONS OF TONS, to be precise :))

I'm under the impression, however, that China has bought up what it needs (most of what it will use this year), so the prices might not keep going up. But, others see no end in sight. (Especially those in the steel industry).

Green Pastures
03-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Not to be a jerk or anything but have you been into town lately, prices on EVERYTHING are on the rise.

Lux Lawn
03-30-2004, 11:10 AM
The place I just bought a new trailer from raised there rates on trailers 12%.

Rook00
03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, prices on everything seem to be rising, but not not like steel prices have risen.

Up 66%! USA Today, among other credible sources testify the same number. It has more than doubled, almost tripled. This is a little more significant than a general increase in prices. But you're correct, prices continue to rise on many other things, as well.

Old Red
03-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Not a trailer but yesterday I asked about the price on a Brillion drill and was told that the price would be going up and that the increase was because of the rising price of steel.

badranman
03-30-2004, 06:51 PM
My Bobcat dealer told me the factory was behind 2500 machines because of the steel shortage.