PDA

View Full Version : adding landscape fabric, after the fact..

scott in the soo
03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
a commercial customer of mine wants to add landscape fabric to his gardens. the company who installed his gardens did not install the fabric and now he is paying more to have his garden weeded weekly than the actual garden costed.i'm wondering what the easiest way would be to add a fabric.. the gardens consists mainly of bushes and a few shrubs with a few bulbs..
(potentilla, purple leaf sandcherry, spirea).. any suggesiions would be great..

should i take out existing plants, add fabric and then replant or is there a way to add the fabric without taking anything out.

thanx

scott

NickN
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
The bushes won't be a prablem.You can remove all mulch in the bed and install your fabric around the shrubs.Make sure you overlap the fabric when you have to use two seperate pieces.The bulbs on the other hand will need to be dug up if dormant.If they're growing,you can install the fabric over them by cutting a hole where the bulb is.This will minimize the weeds a great deal,but he still may have a few when the bulbs die back and the hole is exposed.
After you're done,just throw the mulch on top of the fabric.Works great down here with bermudagrass and bermuda climbs and finds it way into everything.

Lombardi
03-29-2004, 06:07 PM
One word: Preen.
Forget about the fabric. You will still get weeds. Apply Preen a couple of times a year and you will have good results. In fact I do not lay fabric anymore unless a customer absolutely insists on it.

GreenMonster
03-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
One word: Preen.
Forget about the fabric. You will still get weeds. Apply Preen a couple of times a year and you will have good results. In fact I do not lay fabric anymore unless a customer absolutely insists on it.

Ouch. this hurts. what the packer fan said. :p

Before I started doing this "professionally", I used fabric on all my beds at home. Decided to try it without, mainly because it's an extra expense, and PITA to put down. Apply preen twice a year, and the beds are weed free, plus the plants seem to do better. Also, weeds come through the fabric after a few years. Sooner if everything is not dead before you lay it down.

Avery
03-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Man I hate fabric!! Do not put that stuff down. Weeds are controlled by proper maintenance, not fabric. Use pre-m and post-m on the weeds. Fabric will not keep out weeds. They will still germinate in the mulch.

Q-Team Inc
03-29-2004, 06:41 PM
GreenMonster
I agree with you. Its tough to agree with a packer fan but I have too as well!!!!!

I used to lay fabric as well but you get weeds coming through in a few years and weeds growing on top of the fabric.
Somebody on here pointed me to Preen. Works great.
I apply typically twice per year depending on situation and conditions.

Scott, check this link out...

http://www.preen.com/newpreen/prdpreen/use.jsp

GreenMonster
03-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Q-Team Inc
GreenMonster
I agree with you. Its tough to agree with a packer fan but I have too as well!!!!!

It's a lot easier to agree with them after getting a couple Superbowl wins under our belt!

Now, about them Red Sox.....

draftlawncare
03-29-2004, 08:33 PM
pats suck how about them cowboys

GreenMonster
03-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by draftlawncare
pats suck how about them cowboys

Yeah, they suck alright. 2 sb's in 3 years.

whatever...

scott in the soo
03-29-2004, 10:44 PM
thank-you very much... can preen be bought online? if not, where can i buy this stuff. is it available in canada?

the store locator on the web site did not seem to be working...

GreenMonster
03-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by scott in the soo
thank-you very much... can preen be bought online? if not, where can i buy this stuff. is it available in canada?

the store locator on the web site did not seem to be working...

Home Cheapo has it.

Some folks on this site say Snapshot from Lesco is even better (stronger?), but I've never used it.