PDA

View Full Version : paver patio question

launboy
03-29-2004, 10:12 PM
im putting in a patio. it is located along the back of a house the bricks go right up against the foundation. what do i have to keep in mind when putting pavers around foundation and siding, do the pavers have a certain amount of space from the siding.

landscapingpoolguy
03-29-2004, 10:14 PM
well always stay clear of the siding and make sure u grade away from the house

Chuck

launboy
03-29-2004, 10:20 PM
the pool is 9 feet from the house the patio is the whole area between the two,,,, people want to slope in the direction of the area betweeso if the side of the house faces north the slope will slope down north

launboy
03-30-2004, 01:24 PM
40 people view this and not one of you can help
come on now i thought there were pro's on this site

GrazerZ
03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
If you are in an area where the frost is pretty severe like us in Maine, I recommend you leave a small gap (1" or less) that you can fill and hand pack. I say this because the patio is going to move independent from the house from the frost. How the water ruyns in the area around the patio should be considered. The more the water the more likely frost will effect the patio. Some may disagree because they don't want to see any gaps, but thats how I have done it personally.

sgallaher
03-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Make sure that you use a jumpping jack tamper along the house to get better compaction. I would leave about .5" gap and fill with sand along the house.

landscapingpoolguy
03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
launboy what r u asking?Your question isnt really clear.

Chuck

launboy
03-30-2004, 07:24 PM
ok here isthe scenerio,,,,,The housefaces west the pool is in the back and sits on the north half of the yard about 11 feet from the house. (weird location) the whole area between the pool and the house is going to be patioabout 28 ft long by 11 feet. the patio wil run along the back of the houseup against the house as well. so it runs 28 feet northand south. a wood deck is on the south end of the deck and the customer wants the water to flow towards te north and out into the lawn on the north ide of the house. i want to know how much space should there be from the pati surface and the siding and how much space should there be between th foundaton and pavers.

_______house____________

Deck ] patio >>>
] water flows >>>
[ pool area ]
here is a hlf @ss diagram
thanks to those who hve responded and if yu have any mor info about this please ask an i will try to give more

launboy
03-30-2004, 07:26 PM
that diAGRAM IS all messed up it came up all wrong when sent it in

launboy
03-31-2004, 12:14 AM
107 people and no one can help thats impossible
how far away do you stay away from the siding

GreenMonster
03-31-2004, 08:11 AM
107 people and no one can help thats impossible
how far away do you stay away from the siding

Originally posted by GrazerZ
If you are in an area where the frost is pretty severe like us in Maine, I recommend you leave a small gap (1" or less) that you can fill and hand pack. I say this because the patio is going to move independent from the house from the frost. How the water ruyns in the area around the patio should be considered. The more the water the more likely frost will effect the patio. Some may disagree because they don't want to see any gaps, but thats how I have done it personally.

Originally posted by sgallaher
Make sure that you use a jumpping jack tamper along the house to get better compaction. I would leave about .5" gap and fill with sand along the house.

Originally posted by landscapingpoolguy
well always stay clear of the siding and make sure u grade away from the house

Launboy,

My advice is take your time with your post, and avoid the run-on sentences that make your posts difficult to understand.

Secondly, read the replies that you have. Some of your questions have been answered.

As far as run-off, pitch the patio 1/8"-1/4" per foot in whatever direction you would like the water to go. So, I believe you want the water to run in the direction that is 28', then pitch the patio about 3.5-7". I'd stay closer to the 1/8" pitch.

U can get your pitch with something as simple as a couple grade stacks, masonry string, and a $1.99 line level from Home Depot. They make line levels that show you 1/8" and 1/4" pitch. 6' levels are handy too.

good luck.