PDA

View Full Version : Bed edgers

DowntoEarthLLC
03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Ok, so some people say they are not worth the time, others lovem. Are the ones that don't use them just looking to be cheaper and like diging with a shovel?

How good are these things really?

I've never used one personally... but I'm getting tired of digging with my back...

Work smarter not harder, right?

Which brands do you guys like best?

They don't cut through roots to well do they?

I love this place

WeatherMan
03-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Why dont you rent one to see how you like it before you buy it

Harry0
03-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I bought a EZtrench Bedscaper in the fall and am selling it now. In the long run IMO they do not save any time or labor. In fact it takes longer and is more labor intensive than a stick edger and a spade. I am talking about reedging beds in the spring. The only time I think they would be useful is for new jobs or creating beds in existing turf, by using round-up. I wanted It for the spring edge before mulching. When I used the demo it was on a new job and I loved it. But by the time you run the machine over an existing bed, rake the pulverized grass clumps(which are actually lots of little turf plugs being thrown all over the bed)and go back and spray round up or manually pull the small clumps of grass, you are not saving time or your back. Not to mention the shallow irrigation lines or lighting wires you destroy. This is one machine i could have done without-Harry

matthew horner
03-30-2004, 10:30 PM
What type are you selling? I'm going to need one soon, PM me if you are selling it soon. Thanks.

DowntoEarthLLC
03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
thats what I'm talking about... you sound like alot of guys that I know who have used the machine. I have heard more negatives than positives.

Yes, I know about renting tools.

lx665
03-31-2004, 08:29 PM
I just bought a Brown Bed Edgers and love it. I've used it on new and redifining bed and it's a huge time saver. I should of bought it sooner.

John

KenH
03-31-2004, 08:48 PM
The Brown bed edger I purchased last season is definately a time and labor saver. Anything it touches it pulverizes into a fine powder which is easily raked back into the beds. I can edge beds as fast as I can walk backwards. My only complaint is the problem cutting irrigation/fence lines.

For new installs, they cant be beat.

jalawn
03-31-2004, 10:35 PM
I just picked up a new 'Bed Shaper' this year. That thing is great! I rented an easy trencher last year, and that thing was pure crap! No comparison. The Bed Shaper was a bit more money, but it is so easy to use, and does a great job.

Turftiger1979
04-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Definately brown bed shaper all the way. All you have to do is go rake lil of the debri back, which is already ground up. It cuts a nice deep line, which is also adjustable. You can also get trencher blades, for laying dog fence, piping, etc. Compared to manual labor...well...theres nothing that compares.

Harry0
04-01-2004, 08:08 AM
To you guys with a brown edger: Do you have grass growing in your beds weeks after edging? Does the brown have any major differences then the EZ trench bedscaper? I know the majority of people love bed edgers so I wonder if I am missing somthing. My crew dosen't like using it either, so its not just me. Beleive me I am always looking to "work smarter".Thanks Harry

nuchdig
04-20-2004, 01:14 AM
For big jobs I use an edger. If your operator knows what he is doing (a huge assumption), by this I mean the operator is only very slightly going into the bed, there is very little clean up. Of course a lot depends on the previous season's lawn care. It is imperative that the mowers stay off the edge so as not to pack it down.

Green Care
05-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by DowntoEarthLLC
Ok, so some people say they are not worth the time, others lovem. Are the ones that don't use them just looking to be cheaper and like diging with a shovel?

How good are these things really?

I've never used one personally... but I'm getting tired of digging with my back...

Work smarter not harder, right?

Which brands do you guys like best?

They don't cut through roots to well do they?

I love this place

If you want to see I'm across the wilson bridge,yes work smarter yes save the back I like browns honda it will cut through small roots.

Gilla Gorilla
05-05-2004, 11:34 PM
The one thing that I noticed yesterday with my Brown edger was
if the soil is wet and not fairly dry then it will leave the clumps of
grass in the bed. If the soil is dry then it pulverizes it into fine soil that just has to be raked evenly before you mulch.

NCSULandscaper
05-05-2004, 11:58 PM
The brown will not only cut through roots, it will edge through rocks. I bought one at the first of the year and its worth every penny. To answer the question about grass in the beds, the answer for me is no, because i apply Snapshot after i mulch anyhow so that takes care of any problems.

D Felix
05-08-2004, 01:55 AM
i apply Snapshot after i mulch anyhow so that takes care of any problems.
Not to get off topic too much, but why after? Are you applying granular or liquid? If it's granular, it needs to be incorporated into the mulch, which can be accomplished by applying before mulching... If it's liquid, then you are probably fine. One thing I've noticed is Snapshot/XL seems to be somewhat volatile when exposed to sunlight. Changes color, it's very obvious.

Back to edgers, we have a Bed Shaper, and just this year purchased the pulverizer attachment for it. What a difference! The pulverizer has saved us countless hours, not to mention a lot of gas! We are only taking one truck and trailer to jobs that we had been taking both trucks and trailers to. I firmly believe the pulverizer attachment has helped get us much further ahead on scheduled maintenance than we ever could have hoped for 2 months ago! We have spread over 150 yards of mulch (2 guys) in the last month, and have also done 3-4 installs too.... If it weren't for the pulverizer attachment, we would NOT be that far along!

Dan

NCSULandscaper
05-08-2004, 02:11 AM
It states on the bag you can either apply ontop of mulch and water it in, or incorporate it in mulch.

D Felix
05-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Just seems to me that it's less work to apply it before mulching.... Then it's already incorporated and you don't need to water all the thousands of square feet of bed...

Just MHO...................

Dan

NCSULandscaper
05-08-2004, 02:27 AM
It would also seem to me that you wouldnt have weed seed control in the mulch if you put it under it instead of ontop, which is where most seeds germinate in. Thats why i want a complete barrier in everything.

D Felix
05-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I have never had any problem applying it before mulching. It is possible that method did not obtain 100% control, but I doubt any method will obtain that.

Snapshot is only good for 3-4 months, MAX, after that, it's up to Round-up...

To each his own.

Back to edgers!

Dan

alpine692003
05-10-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm using my sidewalk edger to do my bed edging.

I just lift the back wheels up and the 2 front wheels and just walk slowly!

jajwrigh
05-10-2004, 02:23 AM
What are you guys paying for the Brown Bed Edger?

North Country
05-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I too am considering The Brown Manufacturing Bed Edger with the 8HP Honda.

I seen a guy with the 1" clay rotor that goes 6" down (maybe it was 4"). That thing went through roots, rock, pavement, and just about everything he encountered he said. I was impressed after seeing it work a couple times. They have the rubber flap on the side that keeps the dirt from flying. He just ziptied the rubber flap in closer to the rotor...which put his little pile of dirt about 4" on the side of his trench. All he had to do after he layed his cable was take his boot and scrape the dirt back into the trench to backfill. Then he'd do a quick rake...and bang he was done.

I'd think if you just cut on the inside edge of an exhisting mulchbed, you wouldn't get all those clumps???

I am considering getting one...

CLICK HERE TO SEE ONE AND THE CUTS THEY DO... (http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/index.html)

I am wondering how this one stacks up against the one Dan mentions below...

Originally posted by D Felix
Back to edgers, we have a Bed Shaper, and just this year purchased the pulverizer attachment for it. What a difference! The pulverizer has saved us countless hours, not to mention a lot of gas! We are only taking one truck and trailer to jobs that we had been taking both trucks and trailers to. I firmly believe the pulverizer attachment has helped get us much further ahead on scheduled maintenance than we ever could have hoped for 2 months ago! We have spread over 150 yards of mulch (2 guys) in the last month, and have also done 3-4 installs too.... If it weren't for the pulverizer attachment, we would NOT be that far along!

Dan

Do you have a link to thier site so I can compare on of yours with the pulverizer to the unit I am looking at?

I'd like to work smarter/faster myself.

NCSULandscaper
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I have the one you are talking about, it works perfectly and pulverizes grass clumps to a powder, just rake smooth in th ebed and mulch. I payed $2149 for mine in late jan of this year and its already paid for.

North Country
05-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah....like I said....the one I saw had the different rotor on it....it would go through rock CLEANLY man....pulverized EVERYTHING. That's what he paid....I think I'm going to get one...REAL SOON!

SLC1234
05-10-2004, 08:18 PM
I know what you are talking about with the EZ-trencher bed edgers, we rented them in the past and didnt like them at all, We decided to go with the Turf-Co. bed edger it is a little bit more work with the cleanup but it is great, you can see what you are doing and can adjust very easy, run it forward and also use it for other applications. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

dvmcmrhp52
05-10-2004, 11:27 PM
We don't bother with a bed edger unless the job is over 30 yards of mulch,otherwise it is the old spade method. It isn't worth the effort on smaller jobs IMO.

North Country
05-11-2004, 07:34 PM
How much do you all charge by the foot to edge exhisting beds?

NCSULandscaper
05-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by North Country
How much do you all charge by the foot to edge exhisting beds?

$1 per ft for new or existing beds.

Gilla Gorilla
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
I paid $1950.00 plus tax for miine Brown bed edger two weeks
ago.

Does any one have a trenching blade for theirs??? If so how deep of a trench will it cut? I need too dig and run about 150 ft
of drainage pipe in a yard next week and am considering buying the trenching blade if it sounds like it will help out.

North Country
05-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Gilla Gorilla
ago.

Does any one have a trenching blade for theirs??? If so how deep of a trench will it cut? I need too dig and run about 150 ft
of drainage pipe in a yard next week and am considering buying the trenching blade if it sounds like it will help out.

They do have a rotor for drain tile. I was considering one as well.

NCSULandscaper
05-11-2004, 11:13 PM
ago.

Im guessing you got the stationary rear wheels on yours then? Instead of the steerable?

Gilla Gorilla
05-11-2004, 11:14 PM
North Country

Do you know how deep it will dig with the front wheels set at the lowest setting?

North Country
05-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I believe the 991 goes 9". Call Grady at Brown Manufactoring.

1-800-633-8909 Extension 234

He can answer all your questions.

themowerman
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I have used a Sidehitcher bed edger. This bed edger is cool. It mounts to your Hydro walkbehind mower and you use the mower controls to move the bededger. The machine also comes with its own wheels so you can use it as a stand alone edger. I can mount the edger in a couple of minutes to my mower. It can only be used on a hydro not gear.

DowntoEarthLLC
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Wow, that's a good many responses. Thanks. next 2000 bucks is going towards a brown bededger.

Not to get off topic...but, whats snapshot? a pre-emergent?

I've been just using preen, in some beds I've got some grass coming up already...beds that we weed free/Preened/mulched in January... yeah I know its the wrong forum...

NCSULandscaper
05-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Snapshot is a higher strength granular pre-emergent than Preen.

Gilla Gorilla
05-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Im guessing you got the stationary rear wheels on yours then? Instead of the steerable?

No, it is the steerable model that I got

NCSULandscaper
05-13-2004, 11:24 AM

No, it is the steerable model that I got

You got a good deal then