View Full Version : Gcwr

03-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I just bought a use '95 Ford L-8000 tandem dump truck for my mini-excavating business. I need to add pintle and electric to the rear for my trailer. The truck has 12,000lb fronts and 34,000lb rears. The truck weighs 19,980 lbs empty and the trailer has a gvw of 26,000lbs. My question is how do I determine the gross combined vehicle weight rating? Any help would be much appreciated


03-30-2004, 07:48 PM
You will need to register the truck for the combination. Add the trailer GVW to the truck and thats what you need to register the truck for. Having an empty weight doen't mean anything unless you will never have anything in the truck while hauling the trailer which is unlikely. Hope you have a class A licence because you will need it!!

An option: You can get a short term permit to boost the weight if you only use the trailer a few months. It is much less expensive that way.

03-30-2004, 08:00 PM
I am understanding this correctly that with my axle capacity of 46,000lbs minus my empty weight of 19,980lbs I can have a payload in the truck of 26,000lbs. I dont think I can register the truck for anymore than that. The trailer is already registered for 26,000lbs. I guess what I am trying to figure out is how much can the truck pull?


03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Unless your state is different you have to register the truck for the combination. In our state, you would register the trailer for 26000 lbs but it means nothing. If your truck is registered for 46000 and lets say its got a 1/2 load on and you have your trailer loaded at 20000, your in trouble. Around here the DOT will fine you so fast it will make your head spin. Again, the trucks GVW may only be 46000 but it must be registered for the combination. That doesn't mean you can haul 72000 in the truck with no trailer.
Our tractors must be registered for 88000 or 100000 depending on if it hauls a 2 or 3 axle trailer.

ALSO: Your license must be class A because the combination now is treated just like a tractor trailer. You better check with your local DOT because if you get stopped you will be nailed with BIG fines!!!!!!!!!!!

03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Depending on your engine and transmission, you should be good for 80,000 GCWR. Like was stated earlier, you need to license the truck for the combined weight, not just the truck's gross weight. My advice would be to contact the local highway patrol and speak with someone in the commercial vehicle enforcement division. They can give you the specifics as to how much weight is allowed per inch of tire width, and how much per axle for your setup.