PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Buy a Toro Dingo...wich one?

Evan528
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, I will most likly be placing my order for a new dingo this week. I cant decide between the traked model and the one with the tires. What are the advantages for each? I will be using this machine for mulching, topsoil and lanscape installations primarily on residential properties. Id love some feed back as I dont want to spend all this money and then regret getting the model that I did.

Ps. Im leaning towards the wheeled model only because it have a platform to stand on. Yeah....im getting lazy

newleaflandscape
03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I agree. Get the plat form with wheels. Comes in handy if you ever wnna put a harley rake on it and grade small spots for a lawn and such. Also I have noticed that the treads dont tear up the lawn as much if you use them right and dont turn alot. Of course it always ends up being used wrong anyways so I prefer the one with tires. You wouldnt believe how much that stands come in handy either. Like we had a job that we were building a huge boulder retaining wall in the back. There was an opening only big enough for the dingo to get back there because of trees. Well it was a huge lot and being able to stand on the back lets you move along alot faster.

Mdirrigation
03-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Demo both of them , if you are spending that type of money have the dealer bring each one out to the job and run both.

G&S LANDSCAPING
03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
:D Just bought last week a Toro dingo tx-420 , tracked model. Last year i demoed a 322 wheeled model, and it would tear up alot of turf, and it would not fit on my low pro dump trailer that has a 5 foot eguiptment ramp . it would bottom out. and i did not want to use another set of ramps. The tracked model will run you about $1,000 more, but will be able to go thru any conditions. Bottom line is get what model works best for you. And rember to charge a fair equiptment per hour price, for your machine and your labor. I charge $95.00 per hour for the mini skid steer and $ 40.00 per hour for labor rate. Total $135.00 per hour. good luck with your purchase.

kris
03-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Evan ..I think we had a similar discussion before...We have a MT50 Bobcat ... I would definitely go with the tracked if I were you...more power I'm sure. I can't recall the wheeled brand we demo'd but it had a platform to stand on too....junk in my opinion.

Evan528
03-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Kris, why do you prefer the tracks? The one of the biggest thing shying me away from a track machine is there size.....they are about double the size of the wheeled unit. I want a machine that can weeve in and out of flow beds......and of course do the least damage to turf im riding over....

kris
03-30-2004, 10:38 PM
I think ours is about 32" wide ... not that bad. I can only really talk about the machine we own... and I think if I remember correctly from our last discussion they were really close in engine size etc to the tracked unit your thinking of buying.

Why do I like it...it's stable, it can dig ..lots of power(lifts 2" caliper trees with 36" root balls off a trailer no problem)and it's great in muddy conditions. Last fall I had to bring it into a job that our 863 was slipping and sliding all over. Sure it obviously took longer than a big machine would but it got the job done...very next day we were shut down for the season due to a heavy snow... couldn't have finished with out that baby.

It will do damage to turf ...we didn't buy it for that purpose though. It's main task for us is to get into places ( between houses ) that our other machines can't go. We are 90% new home or complete renovation design/build company.

Turfdude
03-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Evan, I too think you should go w/ the tracked model. We have rented this machine in the past for jobs where a skid steer is a little too big. I think the tracked version we rented had a platform (its been awhile). Less turf damage, better when ground is wet by far. Worth the extra denaro imho.
Good luck w/ your choice and of course ... post pics!!

DJL
03-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I was able to demo different Dingo's at an open house here in Jersey. I tested both tracked and wheeled with different attachments. In my opinion, I didn't like the unit that you stood on (it was wheeled with a backhoe attachment). It was very jerky when turning and I didn't feel safe operating it. I test drove it over curbs and on a slight incline. It broke up the grass (well, weeds) to shreds. Now, I realize this is in part due to the weight of the backhoe. As a side note, the backhoe attachment was GREAT!! Lots of power (realizing it's limitations for the size machine) and controls were easy and fluid.

I also demoed a tracked Dingo with a 24" (?) auger. Was smooth turning and handled the curb well with the attachment on. Still beat up the turf, but not nearly as much as the wheeled stand-on version and a wheeled one with a bucket. I especially like how it handled itself from a stopped position. The wheels seemed to spin for awhile before grabbing a hold and moving. This was on both turf and loose, more on the sandy side, type of soil. The tracked Dingo seemed to start moving right away, especially on a hill. As far as the soily area, it handled fine and didn't seem to sink at all. Just my limited experience at a demo ~two weeks ago. Hope it helps.

Doster's L & L
03-30-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm just curious what a dingo costs. I could use a unit that is versitile as the dingo is, but haven't really asked around too much to find out. Thanks for your help!

danno
03-30-2004, 11:40 PM
I have a Finn Eagle that is a wheeled model that I can stand on. I bought the tracks also that go over the wheels. I could not work in my area without the tracks but having the wheels is good also especially if you are going to be traversing paved areas very much. The tracks will wear out over time and are extremely costly to replace ($3000+). Go with the stand on model and have the dealer find some over the wheel tracks for you that will allow you to use them when you need them. Get the most power you can afford too. You won't believe how much work these things can do even beyond their rated operating capacity (and you will regularly test its r.o.c.).

D Felix
03-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Check out the new Bobcat MT52's. They have a better track configuration than the Dingos, plus they have a sulky attachment that I have not seen with any other tracked mini-loader.

When they came out with the MT 50's a couple of years ago, they were a couple thousand $ less than the Dingos. Not sure how they compare now though....

Dan

Trim Creations
03-31-2004, 10:16 PM
I have had the dingo 220 tire model for about two years the only problem with it is it will not run in sand of any depth. but its the best thing on the market. for small spaces. (bucket, leveler,9,15,30 auger, 3in one tool,and forks) Use it more then my Case 1845.

gogetter
03-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Evan, as far as the "stand on platform", perhaps it would be possible to hook on a mower sulky to a tracked model?
Kind of like Bobcat does as D Felix mentioned above.

Something like the Bull Rider with swivel wheels maybe? I'm sure something could be rigged to save you walking.

Just a thought.

D Felix
04-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Local rental yard used to have a Dingo TX 420, they made a platform for it. I never saw it, but it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate one, IIRC....

Dan

kris
04-02-2004, 07:09 PM
what one did you buy?

Evan528
04-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Kris, I wound up ordering the model 220, high torque auger power head, 18inch auger and light materials bucket. I was on the fence between then 322 and the 222 because of the $4500 price diffrence. Just so happens that as I was with the rep trying to decide a contractor walked in that has owned a 220 for 4 years now. Had nothing but priase for it...been a god send he said and no problems to speak of. The total price came to just under $15,000 for everything I orderd and hope to take delivery in about 2 weeks. These dam thing are expensive....especially the attachments. I hope to add more attachments as I go along. There was just no way I was gonna spend 22,00 for the track unit and attachments. I think I will be very happy with this machine!

gogetter
04-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Good luck with the new purchase Evan! Sure hope you'll post some pics of it in action! Would like to see how you're putting it to use.

kris
04-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm sure you'll like it Evan ..congrats on the purchase.

65hoss
04-03-2004, 01:23 AM
We rented this one a few weeks back.

65hoss
04-03-2004, 01:24 AM
It worked well. We needed to transport 18 pallets of sod into a back lawn area with only a 54" gate opening.

65hoss
04-03-2004, 01:25 AM

Releaf Landscapes
04-03-2004, 08:53 AM
We bought a Boxer last year and love it. I checked out the dingo and felt that the Boxer was much more capable. I have run alot of machinery in my life and was skeptical that such a small machine could do so much. I am amazed each time i use it. I have an 18" high torque carbide tip augur for drilling in limestone areas, harley rake, bucket, forks, would like to get a trencher as well. The boxer has, in my opinion several advantages over a Dingo. It is designed with spring mounted platform to ride, excellent hydralics, easy service, reliability, excellent factory support. I added some counter weight mounts and can handle 1,000 lb loads. The tracks will tear up turf if you turn sharply but with care you can cross a wet yard with a load, do the job and get out with almost no damage. Tracks are the way to go. No wheel hop and dig. You can do much better at grading and shaping without wheel hop and slippage.

Noel

mdscaper
04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I've owned a 320D Dingo wheeled unit for 3 yrs. now. Auger(36" aftermarket bit), forks, tiller and bucket. The kubota diesel is flawless, and being liquid cooled, it has a cover and pad to rest your knees against, not a hot engine. If you can swing the extra $, it's well worth it.
I highly recommend a stand on unit. When you're covering a lot of ground you'll be grateful you're not walking behind. You can also use your body weight to lift and step off for more down pressure. I've lifted some huge boulders using two guys standing on the platform. Extra 200 pounds of lift.

D Felix
04-04-2004, 01:38 PM
I realize you've already ordered it, but I think you would be happier with the controls for a tracked machine. Your fingers will get very tired after an afternoon running a wheeled machine.

It's been so long since I've run one of those wheeled machines that I had forgotten this until I just saw the pictures....:D

Dan

kris
04-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey Dan ...that's the one thing I wasn't the happiest with on our MT50... the controls. I heard they have modified them on the new version out.

D Felix
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I haven't run either the MT50 or the 52, and can't remember what the controls were like on the 50, but the 52, IIRC, has controls similiar to the Dingo TX models. From what I remember of the controls from the MT50, they were better than the stand-on Dingo versions though.

Just an hour or two running the stand-on versions of the Dingo will make your hands and fingers wish for better controls. Though any machine like that will make your back feel better...:)

Something that no one has mentioned yet: GET THE UTILITIES MARKED! We found the gas line with the stand on Dingo and auger at the bosses house, twice! First time, the boss was running it (*grin*), he went right through it. Second time, I was running the Dingo with the 30" auger (he was using the 12"), I stopped just short of the line, but had cut through the caution tape above it!

Dan

Evan528
04-04-2004, 03:28 PM
D. Felix, I have run both the tracked unit and the wheeled.....I much prefer the controls on the wheeled unit actually. Ive used the wheeled units for 5 hours at a time with never any disconfort. To each his own I guess :)

netgear
05-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Hello i have a Toro Dingo 320d for sale. it has the following attachments: Soil Renovator( cultivator) , Auger Power Head, Bare Trencher w/ bar less chain, Standard Bucket, and trailor w/ accessories. It only has 600 hours of use. i will sell everything for only $11,000. capitalgroup@spininternet.com
Thank You
Spencer Craig