PDA

View Full Version : Best Brand Of Tow Dump Trailer

Strawbridge Lawn
03-31-2004, 07:00 AM
Looking for a 6X12 Tow Dump Trailer and would like opinions
on what brand is best for the money. Thank You

DJL
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
I hate getting into the what brand is better, but I will give you what we have that we are happy with after one year of use.

Bri-Mar 14' Dump Trailer rated at 12k# GVWR. Options we opted for were the 4" lowering kit with stowable ramps that enables easier equipment loading, wide body (80" inside width), and two feature gate: (A) split barn door and (B) bottom swing out (not really sure of the technical term). The lift mechanism is two rams, NOT a scissor or just one. Not sure of the size. We paid around 7k after taxes, additional wooden sides, and a tarp roller.

Bill Davis
03-31-2004, 07:59 PM
I have a big tex trailer and have been very happy with it over the last year.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
04-01-2004, 09:19 AM
we have an ez-dumper has ben great no problems

racerdave
04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I have had an H&H for about five years now, and I'm really happy with it. It came with a convertalbe tailgate which works like a dumptruck or swings down lika a pick-up. Its a 6.5'x12' 6 ton
pd $5000 for it.

Strawbridge Lawn
04-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Thank You.. I have been curious about the Brimar..Have seen more of them in this area and there price range is reasonable.
Picking up as new truck today to enable pulling TDT.

lx665
04-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a 7'x14' Pequea that has a 14,000 GVW rating. It is quality built. I'm very happy with it.

John

tawilson1152
04-03-2004, 05:35 AM
I've got a Cam Superline. I don't know if it's the best, but some of the features it has that I would look for in a dump trailer are: the hitch bolts on and you can adjust it up or down so you can match your ball mount, breakaway switch(this is probably standard on most anyways), the wiring harness is plenty long, the safety chains are heavy duty, and the wiring to the up/down switch should be long enough so you can sit in your truck and operate. If you wire your truck up so it charges the battery on the trailer, unplug it before you dump or you may blow fuses, which I did. I am glad I got a dump trailer. Besides the landscaping, debris aspect, I like being able to go get a few tons of crushed stone when I need it(there's a stone quarry 8 miles from my house).

Evan528
04-03-2004, 10:57 AM
I have been dumping mine without unplugging it from the truck. So far no problems with fuses.....Learn something new every day.

PSUturf
04-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I've had a 6x10 EZ Dump for 1 year now with no major problems. The paint does seem to chip off pretty easily.

I'm assuming the GVW of your trailer will be 12000 lbs. Did you know that according to the Fed. Motor Carrier law you need a CDL to pull that trailer? I got my trailer with the 12000 lb GVW option and the MI State Police and county weighmaster both told me I needed a CDL.

DJL
04-04-2004, 09:42 PM
PSUturf,

I had 4 (4.01 to be exact) ton of delware river rock in the trailer yesterday. I'll have to look into the CDL thing. That would stink being pulled over and not being able to pull it in the first place.

Sammy
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by PSUturf
Did you know that according to the Fed. Motor Carrier law you need a CDL to pull that trailer? I got my trailer with the 12000 lb GVW option and the MI State Police and county weighmaster both told me I needed a CDL.

I belive that under the new Mich. law as of Oct. '03, you can pull up to 26,000 lbs. [Depending what you pull it with] on a chauffers endorsment, which is the lowest CDL that Mich. has.

My brother and I are looking at the Brimar dumps right now.
Have only heard good things about them.

jimslawns
04-17-2004, 04:11 PM
In missouri if a commerical truck and a trailer GVW greater than 10K you are supposed to have a class A CDL. Oh yeah I use a Load Haul 12ftx7 dump 10300 GVW.

racerdave
04-18-2004, 08:50 PM
A word of caution....I was hauling and dumping some fill dirt and I had all these locate flags I was picking out of the dirt, and tossing them into the box containing the hydro unit. I didn't think much of until the next day when I opened the box to operate the dump and found a complete meltdown of the wiring and an exploded battery. one of the flags was welded to the dc motor....that cost some bucks to replace....

Superior Lawn Care
05-08-2004, 07:54 AM
I have a 6x12 EZ-Dumper and i love it. 12,000 pound dump capacity. it has the two hydro rams, tailgate, and is lower with the ramps so i can load equipment up in it. The brochure shows it with a skidloader in it but i havent tried it. In the fall and spring i add 8' sides and use it to do lawn clean ups i can fit something like 20 cubic yards in there. Thats alot of leave when you pack them. I also use it for mulch. hell ive gone over the scales at 21,000 pounds and nothing was said in iowa you have to under 26,001 pounds o yea my trailer cost $6500 brand new from the dealer. also came with a warranty

GTLC
06-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Cam Superline, we have one for firewood hauling and it takes alot of abuse.