PDA

View Full Version : Cages on trailers

Edgewater
03-31-2004, 09:47 PM
For those of you that have expanded metal cages on the front of your trailers, what do you put in them.

I was going to build one at the same time as all of my other racks, but then thought what would I put in it. I mow only (with this crew) trimmers and blowers have thier place, gas has a bin, what is the cage for?

specialtylc
03-31-2004, 09:53 PM
We put two 5 gallon gas cans and three 2.5 gallon gas cans and a air tank. Ours is 1ft by 1ft by 7 ft.

MudslinginFX4
03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
I also put two 5 gallon gas cans and two 2.5 gallon mixed gas cans. Along with those I keep 2 tarps, a 3 gallon back pack sprayer and a gallon of concentrate weed killer.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-31-2004, 10:04 PM
I know this is off subject some but I was gonna put a cage on my trailer. But I got to thinking my gas cans were gonna be in the rain and everything else was gonna get wet also. So I put my camper shell back on my truck, keeps the stuff dry and kinda out of site to the honest thief any way and if a rain shower comes up I have room for my trimmers in there to keep them dry also

gogetter
03-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Edgewater
what is the cage for?

Anything you want!:D

Personally, I would want a solid cage, not expanded metal. Just to keep everything dry and out of sight. Plus you could put smaller things in it.
Tool box, air tank, spool of trimmer line, hand pruners, folding saw, loppers, bungees, ratchet straps, come along, wheel chocks, first aid kit, oil, gloves, grease gun, measuring wheel, tire repair kit, tarps, rags, and the list goes on and on.............

Runner
04-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Mine is used for the backpack blowers, chainsaw, small hedgesaw, and water cooler. The top shelf holds two pushmowers (when used), - a bagger and a discharge. They are strapped down with bungies. Sorry for the quality of the pic... I messed it up when trying to post it. Anyway, this year, I'm turning this around to face the front, and putting a steel fold down door on it. This door will also act as a shelf to work on things, as well as allow me easier access to the stuff.

tiedeman
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Runner,
does stuff bounce around a lot in the cage?

Runner
04-01-2004, 01:31 AM
No, not at all. I DO run bungies on each side that go down toward the center at about a 45. This is just for security of the backpacks. The mesh is welded on the bottom of the square tubing (which also has a piece of tubing going up the center for bracing and support to weld the mesh onto), so the tubing sticks up a bit from the shelf helping hold the stuff in. I also have rubber mat (mudflap material) on the bottom for the stuff to ride on. It's generally a smooth ride, there on the front of the trailer.

Runner
04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Here's another pic.

CamLand
04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
we put gas cans,spare blades,tires,orange cones,extra battery,tarps and we also mounted brake lights at top of cage for those idiots behind us that cant see the regular light...

P&C Lawn Care
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Expanded metal vs solid metal means less weight on the trailer and less wind resistance. Expanded metal it used to secure items while maintaining some security. My gas cans stay on the trailer all the time, just make sure the vent hole os closed off.

z_clark
04-01-2004, 10:27 PM
I use the HELL out of my expanded metal cage. Hedge trimmer, BP blowr, BP spryer, chemicals, tarps, water hose, etc etc etc. Make sure you can lock yours!

walker-talker
04-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Here is a pic of my storage rack. If you notice, it looks a lot like that Runner built. That is because I took it off his design. I used 1.5" square tubing. This is a HEAVY unit. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would go with 1" square tubing. I also will most likely cut it down it little, probably take about 5" off the heigth. I have some repairs to be made to it. The other day I worked 8 hours before my 3rd shift job, work my third shift job, then another 8 hours after my 3rd shift job. After working 24 straight hours I was dog tired and not in the right state of mind. In short, I forgot to put the door up, was backing out of a driveway and broke all the weld on the hinges. A new hinge, a little grinding, weld and paint will be needed. It will come in handy though.

Runner
04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Wow! That's pretty nice! Now, that's what I want to do with mine, this year. Put a door on it like that, and turn it around to face the front. What do you plan on using the top area for? I noticed that it's pretty deep.

walker-talker
04-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Runner
What do you plan on using the top area for? I noticed that it's pretty deep. Right now I have a couple bags for collecting grass on there and a bunch of gas cans. I will also use it for grass seed and fertilizer. I wanted to make it deep enough to hold (2) 50lb bags on top of each other with falling out. Might of made it too deep. If I had to do it all over again, I would take a couple inches off there, the middle section and 5" off the legs as forementioned. I would also just put one chain for the door, that is plenty.

gogetter
04-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey Walker, what about rather then cutting it down 5" on top, why not put a hinged door on it just like the lower one?
This way you can access it easier, but still have the hauling capacity.
Just a thought.

I'm curious, to those that use these expanded metal cages, why did you choose expanded metal over solid? Was it a cost issue, or to reduce drag while driving or what?

I would think a solid cage would allow you to carry smaller items, plus it would protect it from weather and keep thieving eyes off your stuff. Basically like a big truck tool box.

Does anyone here have a solid cage (hmm, would it still be called a cage?), and if so, anyone have pics?

olderthandirt
04-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by gogetter
Hey Walker, what about rather then cutting it down 5" on top, why not put a hinged door on it just like the lower one?
This way you can access it easier, but still have the hauling capacity.
Just a thought.

I'm curious, to those that use these expanded metal cages, why did you choose expanded metal over solid? Was it a cost issue, or to reduce drag while driving or what?

I would think a solid cage would allow you to carry smaller items, plus it would protect it from weather and keep thieving eyes off your stuff. Basically like a big truck tool box.

Does anyone here have a solid cage (hmm, would it still be called a cage?), and if so, anyone have pics?

check the pic forum I posted some pics of my solid ones
{trailor pics}
machttp://lawnsite.com/showthread/t-64675.html

Runner
04-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by gogetter

How small of stuff are you meaning? If I was carrying nuts and bolts, I guess I'd want solid.:D
Yeah, the general idea behind expando is weight and drag. Now, on the front and sides of mine, I used a finer mesh, and for the shelf floors, I used a heavier expando, like what's on a lift gate.

gogetter
04-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Runner
How small of stuff are you meaning? If I was carrying nuts and bolts, I guess I'd want solid.:D

Hmmm, I guess when I think about it, I'm more concerned with keeping stuff out of the weather and out of view then I am about it falling through the mesh.

Although I'm sure a few nuts and bolts would end up on the floor of it eventually too:)

walker-talker
04-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Gogetter, I was not going to cut the top down 5", I was going to take the bottom support legs down 5". I wanted enough space underneath the rack to roll a 21" mower underneath it. When I measured the mower from the floor to the top of the engine, I got 22". That was only because I was standing up. After the rack was built, I went back and measured the mower again, but this time I placed a flat, level across the top and measured up to the bottom of the level.....this time 17". This is a big mistake on my part and is very quite embarassing. I only tell you guys so that you don't make the same mistake.

I did think about making the top and the front solid and the back and sides expanded. This would keep most the weather out and still aloow some air flow. Capt Devo posted a pic of his on another site. He did not build his, it was pre-manufactured. I figured I could always come back and add this if I wanted to.

Lux Lawn
04-08-2004, 06:57 PM
In mine I feep gas cans,tarps,hand tools and anything else I need

grassredneck
04-08-2004, 08:14 PM
I had one built that is 2' by 2' by 6' with a hinged door that opens to the truck side and doubles as a crude work surface and is mounted on the front of a 6 by12' trailer, Keep a hedge trimmer, 2 blowers, and a milk crate with my chemicals (not pre-m) in tip and pours. It's roughly similar to Walker-Talker's without the extra storage on top. Keeps the blowers from walking off

lilred731
04-08-2004, 09:46 PM
How much would a pre-manufactured cage cost for a 6.5x12 trailer?

Blades of Steel
04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I have a 1 milk crate full of oils (Bar oil, motor oil, 2 cycle etc.), 1 stick edger, 1 long handle gas hedgetrimmer, 1 hand blower, 3 gas cans, litter picker-upper, floor jack (small), 2 pair long handled snips, box of bags and a Partridge in a pear tree..

Tim

rookiemower
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
lilred, check norhtern they have cages for around $169 i believe

walker-talker
04-09-2004, 09:58 AM
I have less than $200 in material in mine. I am guessing something like this would probably cost in the $600-$700 range, but I could be way off, it's just a guess.

rookiemower
04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
the price i gave was wrong it's $299 sorry:o http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=200055674

rookiemower
04-09-2004, 10:23 AM
got it for free, was a little beat not bad for free, i painted it with rustoleum:cool: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66189

forrpets
06-06-2004, 08:40 AM
HI,
When it is hot, do your gas cans shrivel up on the sides thenwhen you open them, they send out gas or hot air? If possible do a search on user name forrpets and see my gas questions. thanks so much.

imograss
06-06-2004, 10:06 AM
I went with the toolbox on my trailer. I keep my hedge trimmers tools gatorline ect. in there and it is dry and out of site.

tristatelandscaping&lawn
06-06-2004, 05:42 PM
tool box is not a bad idea.may use a black one

Pecker
11-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I know this is an old post, but my similar post got booted to truck and trailer. . .

A friend of mine who is a millwright (iron worker) is going to fab up a nice toolbox to go on the front of my trailer. I have been using a big plastic (Contico)box bolted to the floor of my trailer but now I need the room. However, he hasn't done one yet but I want it to be a professional job, which I know he is well capable of if he can see how I want it done.

Here's where I need your help please. I need everybody who can to post a few good pics of their box showing how it sits and then the particulars on how it is built and attached to the trailer. This request is on the basis that a picture is worth 1,000 words!

What I have in mind is for mine to hang over the front so as not to intrude on trailer space at all. There seems to be lots of room up there so hitting the truck during a turn would never be a concern. It will run the width of the trailer.

FYI, I run a 14' tandem axle Trailmaster (5,000 gvwr) with 14" (I think) high sides. A 4" pipe rail runs the top perimeter. The top rail is supported by angle iron.

Someone did post on my thread and mentioned that hanging out the front might not work. . .any more input on that?