PDA

View Full Version : Coloring of Dormant Turf

ztrguy
04-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Coloring dormant turf is a quick and easy way to make brown grass green. Facilities that depend upon appearance, such as hotels, business parks, amusement parks, professional ballparks, banks, etc., want the greenest turfgrass and will pay to have it. LESCO Green will turn dormant grass green without damaging the turfgrass.

Sounds like a great idea to start offering. Has anyone tried this? How good does it work? Any info that you might have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P&C Lawn Care
04-01-2004, 03:20 PM
If it is brown burmuda and they want green grass, why not just seed with Rye grass for winter? Several resturants are being done that way here during the dormant months.

ThreeWide
04-01-2004, 03:47 PM
We did this to my yard a few years ago. It worked out very well as the color was still apparent up until the spring. For maintenance, all you have to do is use the mower or blower to keep the lawn free of leaves and debris. It looks much better when clean.

I've also overseeded as well with both annual and perennial ryegrass. Annual ryegrass grows extremely fast and has a lighter green color. Perennial grows slower, is a deeper green and stripes up very well. Only problem with perennial is the spring transition period. It tends to persist too long into the late spring/early summer.

There are 2 drawbacks for overseeding from the homeowner standpoint. One is the need for mowing weekly (great for the LCO) and the other is a rather ugly transition period as the ryegrass dies out. The LCO has to take extra steps to make that transition smoother in the spring.

Colorants are a once and done deal, but the profit margin could be rather huge I would think. All you need is a air compressor and the same tools needed for spray painting. The risk is the LCO accidentally painting the driveway or some other object.

From a revenue standpoint, I'd push overseeding since you automatically get the maintenance associated with it. Colorants would be an alternative service for those who would not want the cost of winter maintenance.

Here is the before and after:

ThreeWide
04-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Here is the after:

jt5019
04-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Wow huge difference,it looks great

Harry0
04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Looks great but whats next pasting leaves back on trees in the winter for the shade-lol-Harry

wojo23323
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Big difference!!!

Avery
04-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Coloring is much better than overseeding with winter rye. Read the bag. There is a percentage of weed seeds in every bag of winter rye. Colored lawns (bermuda anyway) will come out of dormancy quicker than non-colored lawns due to the darker color holding heat better. We have colored top end accounts for years with excellent results.

griff717
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
What do you use to color the grass and is it safe if shrubs are sprayed accidentally with it? Does it bleed on to the concrete if you have heavy rains?

ed2hess
07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Coloring is much better than overseeding with winter rye. Read the bag. There is a percentage of weed seeds in every bag of winter rye. Colored lawns (bermuda anyway) will come out of dormancy quicker than non-colored lawns due to the darker color holding heat better. We have colored top end accounts for years with excellent results.

The coloring don't look that good and doesn't last all winter.....rye does just fine in bermuda...it comes out great when temp goes up. It also keeps most weeds down.

ThreeWide
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
What do you use to color the grass and is it safe if shrubs are sprayed accidentally with it? Does it bleed on to the concrete if you have heavy rains?

Lesco and Regal (probably many others too) sell the paint used for this turf application. It will not harm any other plant material, and will not bleed once dried.

You do have to use some type of screen to avoid spraying the sidewalks and driveways.

Sandgropher
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
With our luck painters will get in on the gig and the humble lawnies will not get a brass razoo :rolleyes:

HS Football Rules
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Looks great....what's the cost vs overseeding?

Probably not cost effective for large properties, even if you factor in lower irrigation cost (here in the south).

I could definately see it's worth on high end residential.

upidstay
07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
What the heck is a brass razoo?

Painted turf before with great results. Used Lesco's Green turf paint. Friend of mine does a little league field every year for the playoffs. Some games are televised, and they want the field to look A++. Just make sure you take the screens out of your sprayer or it will clog something awful

grassmoker
07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know how much this service costs? I'd be very interested in having my centipede treated in the fall. I have about a 1/3 of an acre lot.

Marcos
08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Be aware that if you get these types of products, including brown mulch dye, onto concrete, that you'll be going back with scrub brushes. I witnessed two gentlemen doing just that this evening with some overspray of mulch dye. They were using 'Simple Green' to clean it up and cursing in Espanol.