PDA

View Full Version : R&R 3 Arborvitae

Yard
04-01-2004, 10:32 PM
One of my mowing customers wants me to quote him a price to remove three(3) 6' arborvitae and replace them with 3 new 3/4' or 4/5' arborvitae. The old material will be disposed of on-site.
I'm trying to figure out how many hours to quote. I've never removed one by hand before. What kind of root structure do they have? How many hours would you figure? Usually I mark the plants up around 40-50%. Is this enough to cover me for possible plant loss? Is there a big difference between the Dark American and Emerald Green varieties?

Thanks!

DowntoEarthLLC
04-01-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm getting ready to either dig out/ call a stump grinder out to take care of it.

The stump is about 10" in diameter, but the roots don't seem that tough.

If i had my own stumpgrinder i'd grind it, but I don't. So I'll try digging...

If I had 3 to do I would call a stump grinder

dvmcmrhp52
04-02-2004, 12:29 AM
6 footers should not be that difficult to get out,arbs are typical of most evergreens in that they have a shallow root structure with many top feeder roots. (they do not have real taproots like deciduous trees.)
Emerald green arbs are slower growing,hold up a bit better to snow and are more expensive.
American arbs,or northern white cedar as they really are,grow faster,are a bit cheaper,but do get more snow damage due to the faster growth habit.

bobbygedd
04-02-2004, 09:36 PM
kidding right? i can rip out a 6 ft arb with my bare hands. charge $25 to remove the 3, then mark up new ones 110%

landscapingpoolguy
04-03-2004, 01:29 AM
arbs are rediculously easy to take out and put in....25 to remove sounds good and easily 100% markup to install. this job should take 30 minutes.

Chuck

impactlandscaping
04-03-2004, 11:03 AM
We charge around 30.00 each for removals like that. They should come out fairly easy with a transplant spade w/ a sharp edge, and a spud bar. Widen the holes a little, and pop the new ones in place w/ some polymer gel / fert , and it's Miller time!!

Dave W
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
i've yanked 6' arbs with a shovel.they are a piece of cake.
$40.00/hr and 100% mark up.