PDA

View Full Version : slice seedingwith an organic program

BDC
04-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I live in CT and currently grow my fruits and veges under an organic program. Last year concerning my turf I only topdressed with compost, and plugged aerated it. I want to use the cracked corn this year at 10lbs per 1000. I also want to slice seed in the next couple of weeks. With out using the normal starter fert. as I have in the past, will the cracked corn help me with the germination, and if so any ideas or advice? thanks

gwwilson
04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Corn gluten meal is a product of the wet
milling process. It is a pre-emergent herbicide which
inhibits root formation during germination. It is currently
labeled for control of crabgrass, barnyardgrass, foxtails
(Setaria spp.), dandelion, lambsquarters, pigweed,
purslane and smartweed. Data suggest it has at least some
activity on an even wider variety of plants. It is safe to use
on established turf. Do not use corn gluten meal in an
area in which you are trying to establish turfgrass.
Or, cracked corn & corn meal in an
area in which you are trying to establish turfgrass.

twoowls
04-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Stay away from corn gluten meal but iam not sure about cracked corn or corn meal i suggest playing it safe though. Ive heard about liquid kelp helping in seed germination and i would assume that it would incourage deep roots from the start also. Maybe some fish meal or blood meal with the kelp for some quick nitrogen start up.

Dchall_San_Antonio
04-09-2004, 10:17 AM
I have a friend on another forum who does a lot of experimenting with ordinary corn meal as an anti-fungal agent. He has also done testing of corn meal against damping off fungus on new seedlings. In his research he has found that the corn meal inhibits seed germination and growth into plants. Therefore I do not suggest you use any corn products on newly seeded areas. Instead you could use soy, alfalfa, or cottonseed meal.

trying 2b organic
04-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Could you use bonemeal on the lawn. I have granular organic bonemeal and have been using it in conjunction with my nomal organic fert to create a sort of "starter" fert. organically.