PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is Coble Stone?

Phishook
04-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Can any one show me a picture of some Coble Stone?

While I've got your attention, How about some pictures of walk ways?

And How about some bridges and pod patios?

ztoro
04-02-2004, 12:56 PM
I would think coble stone is belgian blocks if not the same extremely close to the same......

Metro Lawn
04-02-2004, 01:22 PM
cobblestone pattern 1

springman26
04-02-2004, 02:01 PM
this is cobble stone or belgiun block

Phishook
04-02-2004, 04:31 PM
OK Thanks.

So to lay it, you just get a good solid base, the fill the gap with sand?

This is new to me. We are working on a pond that will probably reach the $20K point, and she keep's asking for more.

Doc Pete
04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Phishook
OK Thanks.

So to lay it, you just get a good solid base, the fill the gap with sand?

Leave the sand on top and use the compactor to vibrate the sand all the way down. Once down you can drive a 10 ton truck over it and it won't move.
DP

kris
04-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Our procedure is to sweep sand in..clean it off ..tamp and sweep sand in again. If you leave the sand on while you compact you may get thicker spots of sand that could cause a uneven finished product.

Doc Pete
04-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by kris
Our procedure is to sweep sand in..clean it off ..tamp and sweep sand in again. If you leave the sand on while you compact you may get thicker spots of sand that could cause a uneven finished product.

Kris,
I don't know what you mean??? The stones should already be down and tight, so what do you mean "thicker spots"?? If the stones move, something is wrong. I've seen jobs with the sand just swept in and they don't last as well as using the vibrator machine. Did I use the wrong word by saying compactor???
Thanks,
DP

kris
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
No your use of that word is fine ... I don't think I explained myself very well .... The stone is done, yes its tight. you sweep it in with sand then tamp (compact) ...this is the part I think your not getting> you shouldn't leave the sand on top as you tamp...the surface should be fairly clean if you have a thicker amount of sand on top of the stone then other parts it could cause it to tamp the stone down just slightly further. Understand?

It's just a small detail ...if your base is good it may not make a difference.

on edit: lay stone
sweep in sand
tamp
sweep in sand

Doc Pete
04-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kris
No your use of that word is fine ... I don't think I explained myself very well .... The stone is done, yes its tight. you sweep it in with sand then tamp (compact) ...this is the part I think your not getting> you shouldn't leave the sand on top as you tamp...the surface should be fairly clean if you have a thicker amount of sand on top of the stone then other parts it could cause it to tamp the stone down just slightly further. Understand?

It's just a small detail ...if your base is good it may not make a difference.

on edit: lay stone
sweep in sand
tamp
sweep in sand

I think we both assumed that, however, "I" did say that, which I should have. Sure, if the compactor leveled things, a 1/16 inch of sand on top would lower that stone a bit............

Rex Mann
04-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Guys,

Here is the order of compacting the pavers.

1. lay pavers
2. compact pavers
3. sweep sand into joints
4. compact again in perpendicular to first compaction
5. sweep and or blow clean
6. get paid :D

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

kris
04-02-2004, 10:19 PM
There are types of stone rex that I always sweep sand first.

Phishook
04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
So prior to the pavers, just cut the sod out and lay the stone? Then do the fill, tamp and sweeping or sweep and tamp.

Another question.
This place is very sandy. Should i get some clean sand, or use sand from her property. It's coarse sand, not like Daytona Beach.

Steps going down a slope.
It's probably a 10' drop over 40' or so... So there will be several steps, and several places that are 4-5'. Is a 3-4" drop over 4-5' OK for walking on these?
Should I over lap the steps? Brick over brick, or just step the ground?
Start at the bottom or top?

Phishook
04-03-2004, 02:44 PM
...so the exact measurements are 105x 4' wide = 420 sqft. on flat ground. And 40x4' = 160 sqft on the slope to the pond.

for the slope, I guess what I'm picturing is 8, 5' sections with an 8" step at each. Would that work?

jwholden
04-03-2004, 03:30 PM
What kind of base are you guys using for belgian block aprons? I'm assuming there is something under the block besides sand. I always assumed belgian block were set in cement.

I'd love to hear a little more about the methodology. :)

Mdirrigation
04-03-2004, 07:30 PM
A bit of information on cobble stone, they use to give it away for free there was way too much of it around seaport areas . It was originally used as ballast in merchant ships , back in the days of sailing vessels. Baltimore Md had a abundance of cobblestone roads down in the area of the docks .