PDA

View Full Version : Truck smells/burns after climbing hill

Rufur
11-26-2000, 10:52 PM
Hello I have a 89 1500 silverado 2 wd I recently moved inta a place that has a steep driveway..Ive noticed that when I get to the top the truck smells like something is burning..its not real bad but still noticable...I changed the oil and gear case fluid less than 1000miles ago..I do have to accelerate and push it to get up the hill, does this smell mean mean something is getting worn out..I noticed a friends jimmy smelled burnt too Do you know what is going on and if this hill climbing is ok on the truck

Motoman69X@aol.com
11-26-2000, 11:20 PM
More than likly there is nothing wrong with your truck, it is just smelling like that beacuse you are putting a starin on the motor, I have a 83 Chevy diesil, but my 87 chevy with a 305, after I work it, smells like somthing was buring, but I wouldnt worry about it. most likely Its not coming from your transfer case, but its a good I idea to change it, and at least ones a month check to see if its burnt,

pottstim
11-26-2000, 11:44 PM
Rufur,
Do you have any fluid leaks on your truck, such as a rear main engine seal, valve cover gaskets..or possibly a front pump seal on your transmission? Or maybe a leaky pan gasket on your transmission. With any type of leak like this..they are bound to get on the exhaust manifolds or exhaust system somewhere..this will cause a burning smell.

Tim

Rufur
11-27-2000, 12:12 AM
Im not sure where its coming from the jiffy lube guys did note an excessive oil leak on the invoice but they said it was in great condition

John DiMartino
12-03-2000, 12:43 AM
the oil leak is probably getting on the exhaust,which is hotter than ever when climbing the stteep drive,so thats likely your problem.Oil leaks on that engine usually are rear-main seal or intake gasket,with high miles.