PDA

View Full Version : Weeding beds weekly

BTerry08
04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey everyone, Ive been a member on here a couple of weeks but this is my first post so hey. I have a question about biding a job a lady asked me about, she wants me to weed her flower beds weekly, how or should I bid this. Her neighborhood has a service do all the lawn as far as mowing so i can't get that. Is there a good way to price this, I'm new to the landscape maintenance side of things my norm is mowing. Please help me out and thanks for the advice

ParkerLawn
04-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Charge by the hour. After you have done it a few times, you can set a price but by the hour ensures you not to get burned. You need to decide what you charge per hour to make yourself money.

Woody82986
04-05-2004, 12:26 AM
I agree with ParkerLawn. Tell her you will charge her a per hour rate the first two or three times, and then after that you will be able to give her a set price. Just make sure you give her a per hour price that will make you money.

charlies
04-05-2004, 12:56 AM
wow, and i have a hard time talking my customers into monthly weeding!

i can promise you this, we don't weed for no $15 an hour. also if you start out charging by the labor hour then you might as well stay on a by the hour basis. why not?

turfmower
04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Put down snap shot then you dont have to weed

grassredneck
04-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I agree with turfmower-You can save a lot of time with chemicals, but the annual color may not be tolerant when the temps get higher

NCSULandscaper
04-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Well since he is trying to get weekly weeding, sounds like he is not a licensed applicator, so chemicals would be out. Just charge by the hour, because if you keep weeds out, some weeks will not have as many weeds as before. Also sell the customer on mulch, that will take the weeds out naturally.

culand
04-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Charge by the Bed . But charge high. This way when the beds don't have a lot of grass , you make money.
We use a Flower Bed Contract, this is over the mowing at is set Twice A Month for $75.95 , and clean beds and cut shrubs.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com

Lux Lawn
04-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by turfmower
Put down snap shot then you dont have to weed

This is what I try to do also withvery little weeding by hand we just don't have the time to weed beds all day.

Critical Care
04-21-2004, 10:45 PM
By the way, I just purchased some Snapshot. It was $90 for fifty pounds. Kinda expensive. Casoron put down in the fall may be a better choice.

I'm trying to get away from the hourly charge way of doing business because once you charge customers by the hour they will then know what "you're worth". Some will think, "Thirty bucks an hour just to pull weeds? Gawd almighty, I'll get my son to do it next time!"

bayoulawn
04-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Dont go by the hour.
If it only takes thirty minutes one week they will only want to pay for 30 min.

DFW Area Landscaper
04-26-2004, 09:51 AM
I charge a flat monthly rate. I used to charge a little extra each time I mowed, but during the winter all the beds were over run with weeds. Looked bad and I had to spend extra time cleaning them out when I did the spring scalp mowing. So I am changing things to a flat rate monthly fee, 12 months per year.

One thing I've figured out after doing this for 16 months: Shady beds are generally a lot easier to maintain than full sun beds. At least here in Texas. Bermuda is a b!tch in the beds. Nutsedge too. Can't pull those two weeds. They have to be sprayed.

Another thing: Once you finally get the beds under control, most of them are a breeze to stay on top of. A few are a nightmare every time you come out, but most get a lot easier after you finally get them cleaned up. And from what I can tell, there is no way to tell which ones will be easy and which ones will be a nightmare. But as a general rule, full sun beds are a little harder to maintain than full shade beds.

I still have never used Fusilade, but I'm getting ready to spend the $$ on a sixth back back and give it a try. Supposedly, you spray this stuff over most any shrub or jasmine and it kills the bermuda but not the shrub.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

PTLABO
08-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I AGREE TO CHARGE BY THE HOUR. DON'T PRO/RATE IT IF IT DOES NOT TAKE A FULL HOUR, STILL CHARGE FOR IT. I GET $20 TO $25 FOR JUST WEEDING.

ThreeWide
09-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Fusilade does seem to be working for me in bermuda bed invasions.

Check the label because some ground covers have photoxicity issues.

alpine692003
09-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Ya, I'm going to start charging $150 a month for a bed maintenance.

2 times a month garden bed trimming and shrub trimming.

Charge em like a commercial account.. I've done it to a few customers and it's working so far.

I have 3 customers that I ahve $150 a month so $450 a month from 3 customers so far.. I'm going to start charging lawn service, weeding, shrub/hedge trimming all in 1 ..

so $180 or $200 a month x 10 customers =2k a month!