PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping companies and sod removal

dstew_mo
04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Do most companies offer sod removal for a service? I am in need to have my sod removed and get the ground prep for new sod to be installed. Anyoine have any recommendations? I thought I would rent a sod cutter and get it done myself but I am nursing a bad back after a fall down some stairs at work.

olderthandirt
04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
I don't know how many do or don't, but we do it and also install the sod. I think most co large enough to haul away the old sod offer it if asked.

Mac

Evan528
04-05-2004, 06:05 PM
I dont remove old grass..... I will spray it with roundup....spread topsoil over it once it dies...then re-sod.

Gilla Gorilla
04-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey Evan,

How many inches of top soil do you usually spread once the grass
is dead before you lay the new sod?

Evan528
04-05-2004, 06:32 PM
If your tilling first....less then a inch will suffice just to level things out.

landscapingpoolguy
04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
I hate when ignorant people make comments on this site....Sod removal is $0.20 a sq ft and installed is $.50

Chuck

kris
04-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Not sure what your comment is all about poolguy...but anyhoo...

We always use a sod cutter .. never tried your way Evan but my first thought that comes to mind is .... isn't there clumps of dead grass? Seems like it would be more of a pain to rake etc, then just stripping it and adding a bit of soil.

Evan528
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Kris, If the original lawn is very weedy Id be concerned that by using a sod cutter you would not remove the complete root system and the weed would pop through the beautiful new sod. With roundup you know the weeds are dead and arent coming back.

landscapingpoolguy
04-07-2004, 06:20 PM
ok heres my thought...its easy to spray and wait...but who wants to wait for anything number one, and number two do you have a pest liscence to be spraying anyways?......sod is very easily removed witha sod cutter or shovels or teh buck et of a bobcat or whatever....

Chuck