PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Fire Truck!

Harry0
04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Just bought a 1973 bread truck(at least thats what I call it). It has 8000 miles on it. Thats right 8000! It is an old fire and rescue truck from the local Fire Dept. There is tons of storage and perfect for hauling annuals and an irrigation vehicle. I paid $2000 for it. My mechanic said it was in good working condition as it has been maintained by the Fire Dept. I was going to get a enclosed trailer but this is even better. Anyone ever buy anything like this? I will tag it and use it this season then customize it in the off season. Harry

jajwrigh
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Thats awesome!! Sounds like something I would purchase as well.

cantoo
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
I have a buddy who buys and sells equipment and owns an auction yard. A few weeks ago at a sale he bought a 1960's LeFrance firetruck with a bucket. It has a 70' reach and is a convertible top. He tried to talk me into driving it home from the sale, 120 miles. Powered by a gas engine and top speed is around 30 to 40 mph. It still has all the lights and sirens on it. He paid Can$2800 for it. It will be in his sale next Monday.

specialtylc
04-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Just remember low miles doesnt mean low hours. I was in the fire dept. and know that most have lots more hours on them than miles. And the age still affects the systems with any kind of liquid in them. Radiator,hoses,seals,water pump,fuel system, etc.

SDlawndawg
04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
My friend just bought a 76 F-700 pump truck with 26,000 miles on it. It's in perfect condition. Only paid 3,000 for it. He's also selling sirens and the pump off of it on e-bay to pay for it. He got $450 just for one of the lights! The frame has original paint on it and the tires look brand new.

P&C Lawn Care
04-06-2004, 02:50 PM
We just had a small town fire dept buy an old Coke truck and converted it to a rescue vehicle, they even had a small room to recover form smoke inhalation in it. Kind of opposite of your deal but it just goes to show peoples ingenuity.

stslawncare
04-07-2004, 09:51 AM
if the fire dept you bought it from is like most other fire departments the truck is very well maintained. most fire departments to extensive pre maintenance and regular maintenance also. should be a great truck for you. good luck

Carolina Cutter
04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Harry0
Thats right 8000! It is an old fire and rescue truck from the local Fire Dept. There is tons of storage and perfect for hauling annuals and an irrigation vehicle. I paid $2000 for it. My mechanic said it was in good working condition as it has been maintained by the Fire Dept. I was going to get a enclosed trailer but this is even better. Anyone ever buy anything like this? I will tag it and use it this season then customize it in the off season. Harry

If you can go back to the fire department that had it and see if they will give you the maint. records for it. We all keep records and it will show any problems in the past. But remember, it being an old fire dept. vehicle it has seen a rough life even with only 8000 miles. In other words, it was probably cranked and driven immediately during both cold and warm months with no warm up time and it was probably run like a bat outta hell. I work with a fire dept and I too have thought about getting an old stepvan type vehicle but I know how they have been driven. Good luck and like I said, try and get the records.

Harry0
04-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for advice but I had a change of mind and heart. My brother, (also my partner) dosent like it. I didnt really think this through because I cannot expect my wife and other bed/maint crew members to drive it. The truck has manual brakes and drives like a tank. As much as I like it I am probably going to sell it on ebay. Anyone want a good truck?lol-Harry

stslawncare
04-08-2004, 10:50 AM
i disagree with starting and leaving, atleast in my company the truck sits and idles for quite a few minutes before leaving, driver is usually first there then he sits and waits for the rest of the crew. also the best drivers in the company are the ones that become truck drivers.

Lux Lawn
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a good deal a few years ago I worked for a city in the service deptment and we got a truck like that and used it for years.

WeatherMan
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I Just bought a 1996 F350 dulley 4X4 52,370 miles with service body, lift gate, Snow Plow and Salt Spreader at our local city fleet auction, Paid $3850. Going to work great for pulling the bobcats around.

Lux Lawn
04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by WeatherMan
I Just bought a 1996 F350 dulley 4X4 52,370 miles with service body, lift gate, Snow Plow and Salt Spreader at our local city fleet auction, Paid $3850. Going to work great for pulling the bobcats around.

You didn't buy that you stole it.:D :D :D

GTLC
04-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Seems like a decent buy but as a firefighter I know fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars take a beating from the constant stop-and-go, fast driving.

blafleur
04-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Sounds like a good deal, but as a full time firefighter, I cant think of a single piece of equipment we got rid of that wasnt beat all to hell. Maintained, yes, but also very abused.

Bryan

stslawncare
04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
must be different everywhere else because our trucks are very well taken care of and not beat at all. the guys at the station take better care of the trucks then they do there own vehicles. our ambulances are a little different, they do get beat, same for cop cars and medic units. but not the fire trucks.

martinw
04-20-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree with you stslawncare, our trucks (ambulances and crachtrucks) are WELL maintained (I know this because I do all the routine maintance). We have bought some lower mileage units from other depts. and had no problem. We are in the mountains so the brakes take the worst beating (easy total fix). Our cop cars are ragged (rode HARD and hung up wet). It all depends on the dept..

blafleur
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Ours are very well maintained also, babied by the firemen, and a regular maintenance program by our mechanics. But my point was, we dont get rid of them until they are pretty beat up, just from use.

GTLC
04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Same here, all of our fire trucks are Internationals except for our small brush truck, a Chevrolet 3500. The advantage we have is that there are 6 members of our department all from the same family, and they have alot of power in our department. This family owns a large International truck dealership and service center in town, so all of our trucks come through them as a dealer and are maintained exclusively by the firefighters only. We have a total of 8 firefighters that work there.

We do 4 U
05-03-2004, 05:20 AM
We have a "faom truck" that is a 67 ford stake body with 5 gal. buckes of foam that has 3,000 miles on it. The motor has been replaced at least twice because of lack of use. The only fire this truck has ever seen was a fire on a dock in the 70's

Harry0
05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
For those who care-I sold the truck for $2400 to a florist. He did some exhast work and got it through inspection-I am still looking for a irrigation truck that I can also use for hauling annuals-Thinking about a cube van or somthing similar,we'll see-Harry