PDA

View Full Version : Finishing retaining wall off..

edger
04-06-2004, 12:56 AM
I have just about completed my first retaining wall. One thing is for sure. I will not use a shovel again for this type of install. This is a 3 stage project for this client. So you'll have to excuse the mess in the yard. This is a pic of what i think i want to do with the stairs on this wall. This set of stairs will lead to the next tier of the yard. Which now will have a nice water feature installed. Once i get the other wall up. So help me out here. Am i going in the right direction on the steps or not?
thanks

Chris

edger
04-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Now here is one end of the wall. How am i to end the wall? Cut caps and make them look nice? This end of the wall will be where the water fall will be placed also.

Chris

AGLA
04-06-2004, 07:38 AM
I would not make the steps as you are. As you put those steps through the wall you will need to retain the sides of them. It is easiest to do that by returning the face of the wall perpendicular to the slope either by using corner blocks or swinging in a radius. I like to use straight faced blocks for the risers because they are less likely to catch a toe on the way up. If you do a radius, be sure not to start with too tight an arc because the arc gets tighter as you go up.

As for the end of the wall, you have not set yourself up very well. You should probaby take out the last block of the bottom course and replace it with a corner block, so that you can return to the other wall. The radius you have there looks like it is going to cause you problems if you are going much higher. The blocks won't fit on the pins because they are pinching in too much.

I don't want to be too critical, but that does not look like adequate base material for this type of wall either.

edger
04-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Steps: So i take it i have the arc to tight on the pic? Not a problem to fix. Would it be better to use a straight stone and not a curve stone for this?

The end pic: The wall is going up 3 rows with caps. The foundation in the pic is 6" of #57 with 3" to 4" of sand clay mix. Compacted with a jumping jack. The sand in the pic might be 1". If this isn't enough compaction then I'll have to redo the whole wall base. So what your saying about ending the wall is to use straight block and not the arced onse? Not a problem if thats what you are saying. Granted all that i have on site are arced ones. Which i can return of a pallet of straight ones.

One thing is for sure on this wall. I planned and planned and planned some more. Now its looking like i didn't plan enough.

Thanks for your input AGLA every little bit always helps!

Chris

AGLA
04-06-2004, 11:24 PM
I was refering to the risers of the steps being done with straight faced (they are in the pic I attached. It is much easier to have the steps go through the wall than to come out from it.

All I saw of your base material was the sand. We have different descriptive terms for stone here, so I don't know what #57 is. I'm sure it is fine. It just looked like a sand base, my mistake.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using an arc at the end. The problem is that it is not closing with the other wall (and it is too tight for the pins to line up because each course shrinks because of the batter). Most Keystone dealers have 9"x18" solis blocks with two rough sides that are used to make 90 degree corners. I would think that you would want to return the end of your wall back to the end of the existing wall to close the retention