PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to install plastic edging?

Let it Grow
04-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for installing black plastic edging. I use the claw of a hammer, but that is very backbreaking. I figured if anyone knows any tricks I'd love to hear them.

newleaflandscape
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
What do you mean easy ways. Do you mean easy ways to pound the stakes in? Or to dig the trench. I never thought laying edging was that hard. We just run our trenchmaster to dig it and pound it in the ground.

NickN
04-07-2004, 01:02 PM
He's talking about the black plastic edging.The stakes for that go in at an angle near the bottom of the edging.
Only thing you can do is trench behind where the edging is going.I've used a pick,which is alot of labor. A bed edger would be ideal.Then you can set your edging in place,pin it in from behind,and backfill with the soil the edger removed.
I'd go with the metal edging though and you can just stake it straight in.Metal will take alot more abuse from mowing,kids,etc.,,Plastic edging,over time,will get broken,cut,splintered,etc.,

newleaflandscape
04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Metal Edging tends to heave alot more around here.

Let it Grow
04-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by newleaflandscape
What do you mean easy ways. Do you mean easy ways to pound the stakes in? Or to dig the trench. I never thought laying edging was that hard. We just run our trenchmaster to dig it and pound it in the ground.

It's not that hard...if you have a trenchmaster. Those of us who don't have one have to work a little harder to install it, that's why I asked if there was an easy way!

newleaflandscape
04-07-2004, 11:03 PM
oh ok i gotcha. When we hand dig some spots we will cut down the edge straight with a spade. Then we will use a pitchfork to grab it up from the other side, (if there is grass). We do that when there are lines and must hand dig. Get a real nice heavy spade. Wolverine makes some nice ones. Also get yourself a grinder and keep the end of the spade razor sharp. Cuts through the ground better.

GarPA
04-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Easiest way? Don't install it in the first place....it's worthless long term

Let it Grow
04-08-2004, 07:26 PM
I really am not looking to start a debate over which type of edging to install. If the customer wants black plastic edging, then that is what I install. Thank you to those who answered my question.

culand
04-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Let it Grow
I really am not looking to start a debate over which type of edging to install. If the customer wants black plastic edging, then that is what I install. Thank you to those who answered my question.

your right > if the customer wonts black edging then you should install it <> its his yard.
the way we do it is > cut a trench ,put a in the edging and stake it down. there is no easy way ,,just yours way of doing.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com

AGLA
04-12-2004, 11:01 PM
E-Z Trencher makes a perfect sized trench for it.

Let it Grow
04-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey agla-What is an e-z trencher, and where do I find one. What do they look like?
Thanks

Strawbridge Lawn
04-15-2004, 05:28 AM
I steer all my customers away from plastic edging and Landscape timbers because they do not last. Concrete, cement/brick borders and metal edging is where i try to point them

Let it Grow
04-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Let it Grow

AGLA
04-16-2004, 07:21 AM
An E-Z Trencher looks a bit like an edging machine, but cuts about a 5" trench about an inch wide and expells the soil out to one side. It will cut through dry heavy soil in August (slowly).

It has been several years since I used one (or installed plastic edging), but it was manufactured in Yazoo, MS. Yazoo might have been in the name of the manufacturer as well.

It really made instalation a whole lot easier.

I won't knock you for installing plastic edging. I don't think it is the nicest aesthetic, but we all are offering services to different clients. If that is what your customer base wants it would be the thing to do. Let's face, modular block walls are to fieldstone walls as plastic edging is to a well maintained cut edge. It is a matter of what people want and what they are willing to pay for. It is a matter of what market you are trying to fill.

Let it Grow
04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Thank you agla! I'll look around for this trencher.
I am here to make my customers happy, and make a profit doing it...I'll make their yard look the way they want it to look. They are the ones that live there, and they are paying good money to do what they want done, so that is what I do!

AGLA
04-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I used to work in the Moscow-Pullman area. Plastic edging is very much in demand there. That is where I used the E-Z Trencher. It was probably purchased in Spokane. That is where the guy I worked for got most of his equipment, but I don't know exactly where.

Do you have that heavy soil like they do on the Palouse? The trencher worked when it was dry, but it was slow going as you can imagine. It did beat the hell out of hand digging.

The prblem that we had was when it was wet the trencher would clog up a lot from the soil sticking in the chute.

I hope you find one. It is worth it.

I found a link:

http://www.eztrench.com/

Let it Grow
04-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Yes the soil is exactly like up in the Moscow/Pullman area. The majority of people here want the plastic edging installed too. Thanks for the link, that will really help. It looks like this is the machine I need. I don't think the rental places here rent them. Maybe I can find a used one somewhere. Thanks again