PDA

View Full Version : what is natural edging

promower
04-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I dont do much landscaping and I recieved a call about doing some edging work. Much of the areas he said he wanted natural edging. What is considered natural edging? edge dug by a shovel without the black stripping I'm guessing?

EagleLandscape
04-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Plastic aint natural. Normally it rocks. Rocks are natural. Plastic isnt.

GreenMonster
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by promower
I dont do much landscaping and I recieved a call about doing some edging work. Much of the areas he said he wanted natural edging. What is considered natural edging? edge dug by a shovel without the black stripping I'm guessing?

That would be my guess. Just a cut edge along a bed or such...

NCSULandscaper
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
natural edge is a check mark trench around the beds, instead of the dreaded plastic and metal edging

o-so-n-so
04-07-2004, 08:49 PM
I think natural edge is the most attractive but will be high maint. unless you have the right equipment.

Most people in my area are still hanging on to the metal or plastic stuff. I have 2 metal installs on the books, just trying to get some breathing room. Work is about to stress me out.........everyone calling at the same time.

I just completed a rock border ( 2.5' at highest point) that is very uncommon here. It was my first rock border and I had to match some rock work on the home. The job turned out great. Will install plants soon to complete the job.

Good luck with your project.....

grassredneck
04-08-2004, 10:47 PM
I usually interpret natural edging to be Liriope, monkey grass, or more often hardscaping as mentioned above

Steady Mowing
04-08-2004, 11:49 PM
You should ask the customer what specifically, they mean by "natural edging".

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Steady Mowing
You should ask the customer what specifically, they mean by "natural edging".

No theres an idea

culand
04-10-2004, 06:34 PM
natural edging is >No commercial edging, like plastic, concrete, wood ,metal edge around the bed. The bed has to meet the grass with no deep cut with a tool. Keeping runner(grass) from entering the bed ,use a knife to cut the runner. This Idea came from the Bog Gardeners who like the idea that man made beds meet the natural surrounding. You can raise the bed or natural look, keep it flat with the surrounding.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com

capescaper
04-11-2004, 11:54 AM
use a spade and cut a trench around the bed and keep it maintained with a string trimmer