PDA

View Full Version : My Own Yard

JamesGarfield
04-07-2004, 05:26 PM
The place I got here in Seguin used to belong to the local animal doc, and this pasture was where he kept some horses. Hasn't been any horses here for a over a year, and the grass is starting to grow back. Actually it's a mixture of St. Augustine grass and wild clover, but it sure mows nice. It won't be this pretty for long though, because the clover will die off pretty soon when summer gets underway. This pasture gets no irrigation except by rain, and maybe whatever fertilizer I have left over at season's end. I'm always amazed by how nice it looks for how little care it gets. I mow this with a 22" push mower, just for exercise to keep the legs in shape (and yes it does!).

JamesGarfield
04-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Hmm, seeing if it will post the picture, bear with me :).

JamesGarfield
04-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, it worked that time, go figure. Thought I'd toss in a couple of others. These are just the inner front lawn areas, mostly carpet grass and St. Augustine. It's early spring, the trees in these pics haven't leafed up yet, but the grass got an early jump on the growth.

JamesGarfield
04-07-2004, 05:40 PM
And lastly, the side yard, next to the garage. Yep, A/C in the garage - who wants to work on mowers in Central TX summer heat :).

rvsuper
04-07-2004, 06:12 PM
You use a 21" mower for that whole big area?

hontor
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
you must start mowing at 6 a.m. and finish in time for dinner!

JamesGarfield
04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by rvsuper
You use a 21" mower for that whole big area?

>You must start at 6am and be done in time for dinner!<

Pretty close! The truck was down for a couple of days in the shop for a clutch job, so I was kinda stuck at home. Decided to make the best of a situation, and see just what I could do, given enough time. Put a tank of gas in the W/B, a couple of Icehouses in the Camelback backpack, some 'appropriately uplifting' tunes on the Diskman, and took off. 4 hours later, I'd refilled the tank 3 times, the Camelback at least a couple :), and the pasture was done. It's safe to say this isn't something I'd wanna do every day... sure makes ya appreciate having a rider!

Eric 1
04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I cant believe you used a 21'' for all that.Were you drunk or are you just that dumb...i mean bored.:eek:

FrankenScagMachines
04-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
I cant believe you used a 21'' for all that.Were you drunk or are you just that dumb...i mean bored.:eek:
I think he mentioned beverages, and boredom LOL.

j_loppy
04-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Three words for that....RUN! FOREST RUN!

JamesGarfield
04-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by j_loppy
Three words for that....RUN! FOREST RUN!

It's funny you should mention Forrest Gump. By the time I got finished with that pasture, I kinda felt like him after his long run across the country. Think I was talkin' like him too... "Ahm tarred. Ahm gonna go home now."

I was gonna make up a funny picture regarding that pasture job. Get my 5-year-old to pose behind the mower at the start of the mowing... then me behind the mower somewhere near the middle... and then my 70-year-old fatherinlaw behind the mower right about at the end (in other words, aging to an old man before it's done.)

Make the caption say something like: MOWING THE PASTURE - IT'S NOT JUST A JOB, IT'S A LIFETIME!

poolboy
04-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Man, your not playing with a full deck are you...

Ryan Lightning
04-09-2004, 10:19 AM
You couldnt pay me to mow that with a 21" mower.

JamesGarfield
04-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
You couldnt pay me to mow that with a 21" mower.

I couldn't (or Wouldn't want to) even pay ME for what I'd charge someone to do that yard. I must not really be playing with the full deck, 'cuz this was just for fun... to see if I could even do it :).

Hey, we could merge movies - 'Forrest Gump' meets 'Lawnmower Man'... hehe:

'Hello... Mah name is Forrest. Forrest Mower.

'Mah momma always said... yew can tell ah laut about someone, from what kinda mawer they use.

'Mah momma always said... lawn customers is like a baux 'a chaucolates... yew never knauw, when yer gonna find a nut!' :).

JamesGarfield
09-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Was taking a bit of nostalgia trip on those yard pics, of my own yard, from over 2 years ago. So much clover on that pasture back then... sure isn't that way now, with the heat and drought we've had here.

Daner
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Thats a job for a 72 for shure forest.

FearThisDeere
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
How long does it take you to cut that with a 21'? I used to cut an acre with a 21" and it took me FOREVER!

DBL
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
i would go crazy cutting that much with such a little mower it would look like i was never getting anything done

prostriper
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Thats a job for a 72 for shure forest.

Thats prime WAM territory if you ask me, cut that 16' at a time.

Idealtim
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
One thing is for sure, it does make you appriciate the modern high capacity cutting setups.

grassmanak
09-04-2006, 08:49 PM
if i owned that i think i would find a $20.00 lawn loballer to ome and mow it for me.