PDA

View Full Version : HELP, need to save a lawn

dieselpower
04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
I have a residential customer that had me sod (150 rolls) an area that was all mud 2 years ago, this spring it is real thin like its dying out. There is 2 large pine trees right there, and it doesnt get a whole lot of sun light. I dont think just fertilizer will work, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Norm Al
04-08-2004, 05:40 PM
just add more sunlight and take away some water!

TurfProSTL
04-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Trim the trees as you can to improve sunlight. Take a soil sample - the pine needles may be causing acidity. Overseed with shade tolerant grasses. Sod is usually grown in sunny fields and may be shade intolerant.

If you can't improve this area after doing everything 'right' for a season or two, plant a shade tolerant ground cover.....

dieselpower
04-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info, I am sending in a soil sample today. The trees that block the sun are on the neighbors lot, and from what the customer tells me, he is not a nice guy, so trimming doesn't look like an option. I will try the overseeding with a shade tolerant seed. Have to wait for the test results before i apply anything. I've heard of the acidity thing where there are pines. does lime take that away or better balance it?

thanks again

CSRA Landscaping
04-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Lime raises the pH, correcting the acidity that the pines present.

Dchall_San_Antonio
04-09-2004, 10:25 AM
If worse comes to worst, you may end up suggesting a ground cover that will work in the shade.