PDA

View Full Version : edging for mulch beds

jeff_0
04-08-2004, 09:05 PM
What do you use a shovel or a bed edger. I see some places where it look beautiful and i wounder what they used. I never can see what others are using. I always just drive by when it's done

Zach76
04-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I have always just used a flat spade, and I'm pretty picky about what my natural edges look like. It takes a while, but I've always been satisfied with the end result.

Steady Mowing
04-08-2004, 10:42 PM
If you are mantaining an edge, I prefer a shovel rather than an edger. Edgers create lots of loose soil that has to be raked around or removed. Edgers are great if there is no existing edge, and leave a nice flow, but require a good bit of hand work after you edge to get a smooth, natural look. In most cased I don't think an edger saves a huge amount of time but will definitely with some effort, give the best final product.

IndyPropertyCare
04-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Small beds ? 10-20 feet in dia. We use spade and flat tip tools. Like some we have that are 500+ feet total...... Bed edger !!!! also, it gives a nice clean edge.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Bedscaper........

culand
04-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I use a Edger Hoe>> it has a flat wide head and can be turn sideways to cut deep and make a smooth cut along the bed , this tool is faster then a spade and less dirt movement. Good for small and medium beds <> larger I use my bed former> I made these tools<> Bed Former is B&S 6hp with blades adjustments to form edging.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com

LANDSCAPE and LAWN CARE
the one to call for landscapeing

NCSULandscaper
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Bededger for new beds and existing beds, i will never use a spade ever again.

pbr1893
04-12-2004, 07:53 PM
a spade is the best way but it takes some more time...also in order to keep it looking clean and crisp, i like to use a hand held bed trimmer. its made by sandvik and it looks like a giant pair of scissors on long handles. it may take longer than weedeating but for that personal homeowner touch...it cant be beat!

MudslinginFX4
04-12-2004, 08:06 PM
I use the bed edger on new beds and keep them looking good throughout the year with the trimmer. If it needs it the following year I will use the bed edger again but it will be $1.00/foot. I don't have the time to use the shovel or anything else and they don't have the money either!

kels
04-12-2004, 08:25 PM
anybody use a trenching shovel?

http://images.lowes.com/product/049206/049206134621.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg

NNJLandman
04-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Flat spade or my gas powered multi tool with a stick edger attachment, just run right along with that and you have that perfect edge.

Green Care
04-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Bed edger here also saves a lot of time.

Charlie Sierra
04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
The bulk of the edging jobs I have done in my first year were on properties with irrigation systems and/or lights so we opted for border spades but with long handles.

However, there were a few jobs we could use the edger on and it was wonderful as long as the ground was hard. As an expierment, I edged a few clients before the ground thawed with a contract that said I would return the next month to finish the mulch. This was very advantageous as it locked the customers in and lowered my costs by letting me do a batch at a time with machine rather than labor inputs.

Anyway, the colder the days, the better the edge. One property was edged on a day when the thermometer barely hit 14 degrees Farenheit and the edge was beutiful to behold: the edge was uniform, crisp and appeared as if were milled from a block of concrete--though the engine was pretty maxed out on that hard ground.

I forget the model I rented but it had many adjustements and a 13 horse Honda engine. I need to get more experience and tweak my production process, but all in all I think the power edger
has good potential.

D Felix
04-13-2004, 08:32 PM
We have one of the early models of the
Bedshaper (the serial number is somwhere in the neighborhood of 000145), it has the 10.5 hp B&S engine...

We just got the pulverizer kit for it, and it has already paid for itself in the last two weeks! It probably paid for itself on the first full day of use though. The kit wasn't hard to assemble and install, the biggest problem was finding a socket big enough to install the nut on the end of the blade driveshaft.

I would highly recommend the pulverizer kit to anyone that owns a Bedshaper! Get a new blade at the same time, and I would also recommend new final drive belts at the same time. I don't think ours have ever been changed, and with the extra power needed for the pulverizer, it could use new ones.

I can't imagine what it would be like to edge everywhere by hand. I've done it before, but always had a lot of laborers to do it. The company I'm with now has a grand total of 3 people, so every time/labor saver is a godsend!

Dan

trying 2b organic
04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
What is a pulverizor? I use a sharp half moon edger hand tool.

jbt
04-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Bed edger is the only way. Most big rental companies will have them.

jeff_0
04-15-2004, 05:31 PM
One more question. Do you always edge? I see a lot of yard that aren't edged. Some jobs i mulch that haven't been edge and they don't ask. i don't do it.

D Felix
04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Edging the beds allows for a smooth transition to the lawn, and still keep a constant depth on the mulch. It also helps to keep grass from growing into the beds, though it's not a cure-all, it just delays it somewhat. We edge 95% of the time on maintenance accounts, 100% of the time on installs.

A pulverizer is the attachment that we recently put on our bed edger. The Bedshaper uses a scalloped disc like what is on farm discs. The pulverizer attachment bolts on outboard of the disc, and basically pulverizes the spoils as the edge is cut. We have been blowing this pulverized soil back into the beds.

Dan