PDA

View Full Version : 2004 striping pics (big account)

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Here they are.. Ed and I went out and mowed the 98 unit condo complex

Todd

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Love this account.. more 60 work from ed :)

Todd

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:42 PM
These lawns were in horrible shape from the former contractor.. We are working with a good local fert co. to get this place going again. The inside wasn't looking too bad, however.

Todd

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
other side of the inside circle I did with the 52.

Edit: Damnit they curved.. I'll have to fix that :mad:

Todd

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:45 PM
the entrance.. 60 in work

Todd

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:46 PM
would help if I remembered the picture

Gilla Gorilla
04-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Very nice. Keep up the good work.

terracare
04-08-2004, 10:51 PM
the longggggggggg stripes. These will be a work in progress with the 52 to get perfectly straight. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist :P

Todd

blankenshiplawncare
04-09-2004, 10:02 PM
WOW! I don't know what to say besides that. Jealousy is a word I would use in a phrase about this account. How long will it take you to mow-edge-trim-etc this account??

Phil

meets1
04-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Looks great! How long does it take you & crew to mow, edge, trim, talk etc!! What is your cost bases for this account?

terracare
04-10-2004, 12:36 AM
It took around 7 hours to do everything mow, trim, and blow with 3 guys. 4 hours mowing, 2 trimming, and 1 blowing.

we charge per unit (98 of them)

Ed

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-10-2004, 12:38 AM
All those downspout extensions look like a pain in the neck....The grass looks very nice.

Derek

IndyPropertyCare
04-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Ed.... you live on the westside of Indy ????

terracare
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
No, northwest indiana (LaPorte).

blankenshiplawncare
04-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm so new to this whole thing. This just impresses me to no end. I am still figuring out some of the basics. Very inspiring. Great post.

Phil

gogetter
04-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Looks great Todd!.

I would hate to mow and trim around all those downspouts though! Ugh!
Any chance the place would let you cut them back? I can't see it making any difference in the runoff really. But it would almost certainly make your job easier.

Does that area get swampy with all those roofs directing thier runoff to one area like that?

terracare
04-11-2004, 11:11 AM
The downspouts were an issue we addressed in the bidding process. Some of them can flip up, while others just come off. In the end, we thought it most efficient to just trim around them. The trimmers really don't do any damage to them and it's just a matter of turning the mower to go around them. Wait til you see what we have in store for plowing season... lol

Todd

gogetter
04-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by terracare
Wait til you see what we have in store for plowing season... lol

Ok, you've peaked our interest! Tell us more!:confused: :)

Lux Lawn
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
WOW that looks great you guys have made that place look good
if the lawn was as bad as you said it was.

crewforeman
04-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Maybe a good idea to bid to put the drain pipes under ground,,,mow money for you and easier to mow...

terracare
04-13-2004, 12:42 AM
I left out pictures of some of the bad lawns. Some of these lawns have been established for a few years and are doing fine. The fert company is doing a great job to keep the crabgrass and dandelions from coming up, even though that constituted for about 80% of some peoples yards. We'll be going back there on Thursday, I'll get some pictures of some of the lawns that need work and hopefully by the end of the year I'll remember to take pics of how they look.

Wish we could bid to do something about those downspouts, but they really aren't that big of a pain to mow around. Ed and I trimmed the entire place in just a couple hours and the grass was over 6 inches tall next to the house. Figuring it will take us about an hour and 1/2 next time. No big deal, just a little extra trimming

Todd

mottster
04-18-2004, 01:27 AM
just watch trimming around the ends of the downspouts...can be cut like butter. Stripes lookin damn good, btw!

We have a similiar account. somethin like 50 houses on 200,000 sqft of turf. Each house has a brick wall around it that has to be mowed with a 42" walker while outside wall and commons were done with 48's. 7 hours with 3 guys to do everything.

LawnEmpire
04-19-2004, 11:44 PM
how much do you get paid for the 98 unit. I submitted a bid for an 80 unit around here and had no idea what price to throw at em. I didnt get the job but ohwell.

terracare
04-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I'd tell you, but other eyes may be watching :)

We pretty much figured out how much it costs us to run out there hourly, added a margin, and figured how many hours it would take.

Todd

sailinstud420
04-24-2004, 11:29 PM
What are you using to get such good stripes??

proenterprises
04-25-2004, 11:59 AM
you do excellent work!

The Lawn Boy Pro
05-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sailinstud420
What are you using to get such good stripes?? A stripeing kit, they work wonders! I think he uses a roller, not chains.

snap12.5
12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
terra - when u see that ur lines are not perfectly straight, does a mower adjustment need to be done or is it operator's fault? if the mower needs to be adjusted, what do u do?

ALarsh
12-17-2004, 07:23 PM
terra - when u see that ur lines are not perfectly straight, does a mower adjustment need to be done or is it operator's fault? if the mower needs to be adjusted, what do u do?

If lines aren't straight it is always the operators fault

Braxton
12-18-2004, 12:12 PM
How do you continue those perfect stripes around the obstacles in the "longgg stripes" pic?

Braxton

work_it
12-18-2004, 12:22 PM
You go around an object to the unmowed side. That way when you come back with your next pass it covers up your turn by laying a stripe over it.

Braxton
12-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Oh. Simple. Glad I asked.

I'm a total beginner here and I'm learning a great deal.

Thanks.

Braxton

LawnEmpire
01-01-2005, 02:50 PM
could you email me the amount of the bid you submitted to get that job, theres a condo around here i want to bid on but never did anything quite tt big from last year, i have enough equipment now just need to know what price to throw email me if you could please at seasonalservices04@yahoo.com

Greenhorn1980
01-27-2005, 01:57 PM
You are a true artisan! I remember learning about striping working on a golf course and the greens mower especially. Nothing compared to your job.

timturf
01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I'd tell you, but other eyes may be watching :)

We pretty much figured out how much it costs us to run out there hourly, added a margin, and figured how many hours it would take. Todd

So, how well did you make out? Did you bid enough to make the profit you wanted?

With all those downspots, I wopuld have walked away!

terracare
01-27-2005, 10:25 PM
We were fortunate enough to have bid this account almost perfectly. We were making out here better hourly than any other part of our route. We retained the contract for another three years, each year having the price go up.

The downspouts are not a problem at all. We simply put the trimmer head under them and lift up. Sometimes they'll fall off, but it goes a lot faster than taking them all off. That really wasn't even an option from the start.

todd

timturf
01-28-2005, 06:34 AM
It took around 7 hours to do everything mow, trim, and blow with 3 guys. 4 hours mowing, 2 trimming, and 1 blowing.

we charge per unit (98 of them)

Ed

So, thats 21 hours, plus drive time?
At $10/unit, thats $980.00, at $15/unit, thats $1,470.00, per week!

I lived in danville, ill, for 5 years.

Glad you made enough of a profit, to bid and win another 3 yr bid!

promower
01-31-2005, 03:59 AM
I do a condo that has a bunch of down spouts like that. I had some down time one day and went and put a little velcro on the end of each one, raised it put and put another piece where they would meet. Saves me a lot of time I just run around quick berofre I mow and raise all the down spouts, and put them back down as I'm trimming.

atproperty
02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
From checking out your profile I gather you are only 21 years old. Hats off to you. You should be proud of your work. I am sure you are.

Anyhow, I have seen plenty of nice pics on lawnsite but none that I feel match the same quality as my company. Only yours. I really wood like to know what kind of striping kit you use and mower.

I use roller type on a scag but it was made to attach to the axle rod and causes problems.

Elite Property Maintenance LLC
Andre

terracare
02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Ed just turned 20 and I'll be 21 in October of 05.

We have four zero turns right now:

Lazer z xp diesel with exmark striping roller/bagger
(2) lazer z hp kaws with exmark striping roller/bagger
gravely 34z

Exmark makes some good striping mowers but we mainly stick with them because of the bagging option they make available. We do realize that some other manufacturers have tried to make bags available for their collection systems, but they all seem a bit cheap compared to Exmark's.

We appreciate the compliment, we take great pride in trying to make our accounts look as good as we can make them.

todd

atproperty
02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
If you go to atproperty threads and go to heading "looking for versatile striping kit" or something like that go to post #10. You will see five different properties. Keep in mind that some of these are not fertilized, no irrigation,and pic may be from dry spells in August. Either way you may see similarities in our quality, I hope.

atproperty
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
This is my second time attempting to post this info, first one got eaten up or something.

Go to atproperty threads "looking for versatile stripping kit" or something like that. Go to post #10. There are some pics of five different properties. Just keep in mind that some of them are not fertilized, no irrigation, pics may have been from a dry spell in july. Either way I see similarties in our quality levels, I hope.

I am just really afraid to try something other than roller type kits. I may have to have something fabricated for my scags.

Clear View Landscapes
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Todd,

I would love to give them a bid on their drainage situation. I'm in west-central Indiana. Maybe you could run it past them, it may impress them that you're concerned with the situation and you care enough to ask.

Craig
Clear View Landscapes