PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental fertilizing

urbanlandscape
04-10-2004, 02:04 AM
I know this isn't lawn care, but this is the most educated forum I've found on commercial organics, SO here goes:
My company offers organic fertilizing for shrubs, annuals and perennials. I have been using Espoma fertilizers but I haven't been totally happy with my results. I am looking to formulate my own fertilizer. I would like to use dry product for the shrubs and perennials and liquid for the annuals. If anyone has any advice on what has worked for them, I would love to hear it.
Most of my jobs have shredded hardwood mulch, so nitrogen will be more important. I am working with mostly clay soils that are the leftovers after builders strip the land and sell the topsoil. I have some clients who recognize the importance of OM and go for some topdressing of composted manure in landscape beds, but most aren't interested. I topdress all my annual beds with composted manure annually about two weeks before planting. All of the plantings I install get plenty of OM at installation, so I'm mostly interested in maintenance of shrub and perennial plantings that get only mulch as OM.
Oh, and by the way, does anyone know if MI follows the US EPA non-regulated pesticides list? I've been waiting to hear back from the MI Dept of Ag for over a week about it. Thanks for any info.

TurfProSTL
04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I've been using organics for ornamental feeding for a few years and like the results. I've used mainly bagged products, Milorganite (no K, but alot of Iron), Nature Safe 5-6-6 (kind of expensive), Harmony 8-8-8 (somewhat pricy), and most recently Nutrients Plus 4-3-2 (fits my budget).

We have heavy clay in our area, so on new beds and plantings, I try to till the stuff into the soil at heavy rates. For maintenance, I topically apply these products to and around shrubs, groundcovers, perennials AND annuals. Every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.

The results are outstanding. I can buy less expensive, smaller plants and with proper feeding, they catch up with and surpass plant material priced 2 and 3 times more..... in no time.

Grassmechanic
04-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, this is not an organic fert, but Plant Marvel Blooming And Flowering fert 12-31-14 is the best that I've found. I've also had mixed results with organic ferts on ornamentals and flowers, and the main reason that I like Plant Marvel products is that it gives very good results.

TurfProSTL
04-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
Well, this is not an organic fert, but Plant Marvel Blooming And Flowering fert 12-31-14 is the best that I've found. I've also had mixed results with organic ferts on ornamentals and flowers, and the main reason that I like Plant Marvel products is that it gives very good results. I've used Plant Marvel (and Peter's) solubles as well, and had good results. Encountered some mixing issues (clogging) though and these products require tying up the spray tank for the day. Using granular, you can route your ornamental feedings with other services in the same day.....