PDA

View Full Version : Mulch - yard or scoop?

Allen@hilltop
04-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I am estimating my first large mulch job. It will require 217 cubic yards of mulch. My supplier charges by the scoop. How do I determine how much to order? What would others charge to put this out?

impactlandscaping
04-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Measure the bucket of the loader to see what the cubic feet measurement is, then divide by the number of yards needed.Usually a 5' Bobcat bucket , a little heaped will be close to a cu. yd. With 217yds. , I'd sub it out to a blower truck, and make a nice 15-20.00 yd for doing nothing, except for writing the check to the blower co. That would be a 15K job for us to do by hand, depending on the terrain and accessibility.You could make 3200.00-4300.00 by subbing it out.JMO....

lawnman_scott
04-10-2004, 10:28 PM
I would ask him how much is in a "scoop" and if he doesnt know may be time to look for someone else.

hole in one lco
04-10-2004, 11:22 PM
if they are using a skid stir its 1 yd per scoop

Columbia Turf
04-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Hole in one-----so what you are saying is, the bucket on a case 1835 is the same as a case 95 XT.??? These are both skid steer units. Every one that buys mulch from thier local nursery should check out just how much they get in a "scoop"

if you have 1 job thats takes that much mulch, go right to the mulch supplier. 217 yrds is around 3 semi truck loads of mulch. Yes you should look at blowing it in.

brentsawyer
04-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Supplier in TN sells for $7.50yd for dark hardwood.

bam
04-13-2004, 10:56 PM
if your mulch supplier is reputable, he would sell it by the yard, which is the standard for mulching.

His "scoop" might equal a yard. Ask first. If you're buying 217 yards, I would hope, your'e getting that amount. Thats alot of money and material to be guessing on.

Most large suppliers will deliver with a tractor trailer dump or a walking floor. Typically the walking floor trailers deliver 70 yards, although our loads have been mostly 80. Depending on the wetness of the load and grind of material 80 is pushing GVWR and GCWR of the tractor trailer.

dvmcmrhp52
04-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm just real curious,What could you possibly be doing with 217 yards of mulch?
That's a whole lot of mulch, and we've done enough 100 yard jobs to know what it will cover.

kris
04-16-2004, 07:24 AM
I agree Dave ...thats one big mulch job. Something doesn't seem right here. Your going to want to skip this middleman loading it by the scoop for a job that size. How do you determine how much to order? You said you need 217 yd3 ???????? And if your asking how to price it you may be in over your head..

NCSULandscaper
04-16-2004, 08:27 PM
whats so hard to believe about 217 yrds of mulch? Some mulch companies do jobs around here that take 2000yds at a time. I would sub it out also though.

D Felix
04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I have done a mulch job that took over 200 yards. It's not unusual on a large residential or even commercial site.

I too, would look at a blower, and plan on going back to smooth out the mulch afterward. I have yet to see a blower put mulch on the ground as smooth as I can rake it....

Dan

GeeVee
04-17-2004, 11:17 PM
A semi is a hundred yard truck-

Find one and have them bring two trips.

In the meantime you have to figure out where you will stage it and how to break it up into spreadable units.

Don't be surprised if after you crunch all the numbers you find you can't be more competitive on two hundred yards any less than your twenty yard price.......

Only way this could be good for you since you arent' in the habit of doing hundred yard jobs on a fairly steady basis?

Is if it's a mobile home or Manufacturd Home place that a big blower can't mobilize- then you can just give a your twenty yard price per yard and do it.

Allen@hilltop
05-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the responses to my question. Sorry I have not had a chance to get back to the site to read the last few postings recently. I want to respond to dvmcmrhp52 and kris about the amount of mulch and how I determined it. Truthful, I would love to have someone tell me if I am doing this right. This was for a commercial office building. I took the drawings and measured each area (scale of 1:10) to come up with the total square footage (length X width). 6 parking aisles totaling 3780, street yard of 5800, areas bordering woods, 9680, and side area, 1940. Total sq. footage 21200 divided by 100 for 212 cubic yards of mulch. Does that sound right?? Best price I could find was $12.50 for double ground hardwood mulch. What would you guys have priced that as??? Also remember, this was only the mulch. Total bid included plants, trees, grass, mulch, soil conditioner and installation. I don't think I will get the job. My bid will be to high. Thanks for you input.

NCSULandscaper
05-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Allen@hilltop
Thanks for the responses to my question. Sorry I have not had a chance to get back to the site to read the last few postings recently. I want to respond to dvmcmrhp52 and kris about the amount of mulch and how I determined it. Truthful, I would love to have someone tell me if I am doing this right. This was for a commercial office building. I took the drawings and measured each area (scale of 1:10) to come up with the total square footage (length X width). 6 parking aisles totaling 3780, street yard of 5800, areas bordering woods, 9680, and side area, 1940. Total sq. footage 21200 divided by 100 for 212 cubic yards of mulch. Does that sound right?? Best price I could find was $12.50 for double ground hardwood mulch. What would you guys have priced that as??? Also remember, this was only the mulch. Total bid included plants, trees, grass, mulch, soil conditioner and installation. I don't think I will get the job. My bid will be to high. Thanks for you input.

Yup sounds right to me. 3-4" of mulch is perfect for new beds as far as depth goes. Good luck with it.

ksland
05-02-2004, 06:31 PM
My Low-pro 68" bucket on my S185 Skidder holds .6 yards per scoop.

D Felix
05-02-2004, 06:34 PM
For 3" of mulch, I came up with 196 cubic yards (21200 square feet x .25 feet deep / 27 cubic feet/yard). So you are not too far off with 212 yards.

I would go a maximum of 3" on a new install...

Dan

DJL
05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hole in one lco
if they are using a skid stir its 1 yd per scoop

huh? That's like saying if you are using a ZTR it cuts 61" per pass.

Groundcover Solutions
05-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Blower Company save you time and money!!!!!! on a job like this it would take about 2 days and it will look better than any man can do by hand.... Could be slightly biased!!!!!

D Felix
05-09-2004, 01:00 PM
I would like to see someone blow in mulch as smooth as I spread it. You may be able to get it on the ground faster, but I have yet to see blown mulch look smoother than I can rake it..... I could be slightly biased too.:D

Dan

twins_lawn_care
05-11-2004, 12:14 PM
I come up with 196 yards as well.
I would not touch this amount of work without at least first checking into subbing it out. Blowing it in sounds ideal for this, and I'd simply go around after and clean up all the areas.
I am sure this is the way to get the best deal out of the work.
To do a job right, you need the right equipment, and these types of jobs is why guys have mulch blowing trucks, they can do the large jobs more efficiently. Make good use of them, and give them business, as well as making money yourself. JMO

Good luck with it, and by the way, what are you bidding for this job? Sounds like some good coin here! payup

jajwrigh
05-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Are you mulching a forest or something? That sounds like waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much mulch!!

NCSULandscaper
05-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Why?............

Groundcover Solutions
05-15-2004, 11:04 PM
That sounds like a chalange D Felix.... I will get some photos of our next job and post them then I want to see some of yours!!!! LOL

D Felix
05-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Pictures only tell so much.:D

I admit, it will take us longer to spread than you, but mine will be smoother!

Groundcover Solutions
05-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I still beg to differ on the smoothness. I have laid by hand for many years before getting into this industry and I tell you what. I could never lay as good and even layer of mulch as this truck can. "If the operator has it tuned in correctly of course"

D Felix
05-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Ahhhhhh, there's the key words.;)

Haven't seen many around here that know how to do that.

Of course, I haven't seen many around here, period!

Dan

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by impactlandscaping
With 217yds. , I'd sub it out to a blower truck, and make a nice 15-20.00 yd for doing nothing, except for writing the check to the blower co. That would be a 15K job for us to do by hand, depending on the terrain and accessibility.You could make 3200.00-4300.00 by subbing it out.JMO....

I second the blower truck.

I did 50 yards last year and I'll tell ya, that was a LOT of mulch to move with wheelbarrows and spade forks.

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Oh, and blower trucks are smoother than by hand around these parts any day of the week.