PDA

View Full Version : Two pricing questions.

gunputt
04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
How much

A. To install 30 yards of mulch. My cost is $25 a yard delivered.

B. To install 6 tons of rock. My cost is $50 a ton delivered.

Thank You
John

MudslinginFX4
04-12-2004, 07:04 PM
A. My price to install 30 yards of mulch would be $1,650, but I only pay $10 wholesale for the mulch so if I were paying $25 I would charge more.

B. To be able to give you a price on this I need to know where the rock is going? Is it going around a creek, around the natural areas, are you making a wall? 6 tons of rip rap is no easy job to install if you don't have the proper equipment or man power.

gunputt
04-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Standard river rock in beds around the house, they also want me to put the rock over existing mulch. How bad of an idea is this?

D Felix
04-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Bad idea. At a minimum, you need to put down fabric under the rock. Leaving the organic mulch there won't be too much of an issue, unless you are already close to the siding on the house. Then the existing mulch probably needs to be removed.

As for pricing, you need to talk in terms of production hours on this site, and then apply your hourly rate to that. NC is a long way from NE, and IN is a long way from either one.

Without seeing the site, for bark mulch, we can typically do ~2 yards per hour, with good access and not a lot of wheelbarrowing. Thats just spreading, not including edging and weeding and spraying, etc, etc.

If you do the rock, rent a tractor or skidsteer. It's much easier to load wheelbarrows with one, line three up side-by-side and dump (slowly) into them. Or put two together nose-to-nose, and do the same. Much faster and easier than shovelling. I don't know how long it takes us to do rock, again, it varies by the site, but we don't typically do much rock in a year. Only done it once in the last 1 1/2 years....

HTH.

Dan

Zach76
04-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey John, I'm here in Omaha as well, so maybe I can be of some assistance. I work solo, so if you have helpers be sure to adjust accordingly.

For the mulch, I charge $55 a yard installed (Dark hardwood) but I only pay $14, so Cameron's quote of $1650 is in line with what I would get, and I do a yard in about 35-40 minutes. If I was doing 30 yards, I'd plan on 45-50 each to account for getting tired as the day progresses.

For the rock I get $110 installed, plus the cost of edging and fabric and time to install them if applicable, and I get it for $48 a ton. 6 tons of rock including edging and fabric would run the customer about $700 or so. I plan on 1 hour and 15 minutes per ton by myself, plus the time to lay fabric and edging.

Hope this helps.

landscapingpoolguy
04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
My labor rate for materials in a wheel barrow is typically around $40 a yard so mulch would be $1950.00 and rock would be $540....id basically givem a total price of $2400.00 installed

Chuck