PDA

View Full Version : Mangenese deficiency and kelp

daveyo
04-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Ok, I did a soil test and came up very low in some micronutrients. The micronutrients that were deficient were Boron and Mangenese. Also, I had very low levels of P and K, thats solved easily enough though. I know that compost will solve my boron deficit but how about mangenese. someone told me in another forum to use kelp based products, will kelp based products solve a micronutrient problem? I have found that alfalpha pellets have small amounts of micronutrients but is kelp better? How much of a kelp based product is used per 1000^2. I did a search with no results, thanks.

bioman
04-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Dave,

There are a couple of different products on the market. A Manganese sulfate, water soluble - should be able to find this locally in 50 lb bag, to correct the Manganese problem. Another product that is great for for a complete mineral complex is Natures Solution. It is a liquid mineral complex, and 3.0 ozs. per 1000^2. It also helps in stimulating rooting, plant vigor, and microbial activity. The cost of natures solution is $10.00 per gal (5 gal), or $6.25 per gal. (55 gal). I do carry the manganese sulfate if you can not find it locally. Most of your kelp products alone will not take care of all the minerals the soil requires.

Your Sponsor

Catmann
04-22-2004, 10:55 AM
FYI, here is a typical analysis of soluble seaweed. Kelp meal would be similar, but in an insoluble state. Some levels may vary due to the extraction process, but basically kelp is an excellent product. Actually, the best combi is Fish Hydrolysate, Seaweed Extract, and Humic Acid. With this you can do some pretty amazing things at an affordable price. This is if you want to go liquid of course. Sorry about any formatting issues below - it was a cut and paste!

Benefits of Nature’s Essence Soluble Seaweed
Derived From Ascophyllum Nodosum

Horticulture:
• Increases quality and yields
• Increases chlorophyll levels
• Stimulates shoot and root growth
• Improves plant health through delivery of trace elements
• Provides better establishment of seeds
• Increases resistance to temperature extremes (drought and frost)
• Increases plants’ resistance to pests and disease
• Improves flowering and fruit set
• Compatible with major fungicides and insecticides

Golf Courses and Turf
• Increases activity of soil micro-organisms
• Increases root mass
• Increases leaf growth and tillering
• Helps withstand insect and disease activity
• Increases chlorophyll levels
• Increases tolerance of stress
• Increases tolerance of drought

Agriculture
• Increases animal health and fertility
• Ideal for organically certified farms
• Allows for reduced N-P-K inputs
• Enhances crop quality and nutritional value
• Increases yields of all crops
• Easy to apply in many different application systems

Nature’s Essence Soluble Seaweed Specifications
Derived from Ascophyllum Nodosum

Nature’s Essence SEP Nature’s Essence SEP Plus Iron
Typical Characteristics Typical Characteristics
Appearance Brown/Black Granular Appearance Brown/Black Granular
Odor Marine Seaweed Odor Odor Marine Seaweed Odor
Total Solids 92%-95% Total Solids 93%-96%
Moisture 5%-8% Moisture 4%-7%
Organic Matter 45%-50% Organic Matter 62%-66%
Inorganic Matter 40%-45% Inorganic Matter 26%-35%
Solubility 100% in water Solubility 100% in water
Fiber Less than 1%
Oil Less than 1%
Typical Analysis Typical Analysis
Aluminum Less than 10 ppm Iron 9.5%-12.0%
Boron 50-100 ppm Potassium 3.5%-5.0%
Calcium 1.5%-2.0% Nitrogen 8.5%-10%
Cobalt 3.5-6.5 ppm Magnesium 0.2%-0.5%
Copper 20-45 ppm Sodium 1.0%-2.0%
Iodine 250-500 ppm Sulfur 6.5%-7.5%
Iron 250-1000 ppm Calcium 25-30 ppm
Magnesium 2000-3000 ppm Phosphorous 5-10 ppm
Manganese 15-30 ppm
Nitrogen 0.8%-1.2%
Phosphorous 100-200 ppm
Potassium 15.0%-17.0%
Sodium 3.0%-4.5%
Sulfur 1.0%-2.0%

Growth Stimulants: Both powders contain natural Cytokinins, Auxins, Gibberellins, and Betaines.

Ric
04-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by daveyo
Ok, I did a soil test and came up very low in some micronutrients. The micronutrients that were deficient were Boron and Mangenese. Also, I had very low levels of P and K, thats solved easily enough though. I know that compost will solve my boron deficit but how about mangenese. someone told me in another forum to use kelp based products, will kelp based products solve a micronutrient problem? I have found that alfalpha pellets have small amounts of micronutrients but is kelp better? How much of a kelp based product is used per 1000^2. I did a search with no results, thanks.

Borax Laundry detergent is a good source of Boron. However it is a micro element and very little is needed.

Manganese, Mn. is used in photosynthesis and helps to keep our plants green. It is essential for new tissue development. It does not translocate in the plant and is stable in the soil. It does not leach.

Manganese Deficiencies, also cause yellowing between the veins of new leafs. Veins appear wider than iron deficiencies. On palm trees frizzle top or yellowing on new fronds is the result of Manganese deficiencies.

Boron, B, is essential to development of new tissues. It does not translocate in the plant. and does not readily leach from the soil.

Boron Deficiencies, cause interveinal or tip and marginal yellowing on new leaves as well as distorted and brittle, small leathery leaves.

CSRA Landscaping
04-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Ric, isn't epsom salt a source of Mn?

Ric
04-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Magnesium, Mg. Commonly available as Epson's salt is more important in maintaining green on older leaves but also helps new tissue. It helps in photosynthesis and helps to green up plants. Magnesium is mobile in the plant or translocates. It also readily leaches from the soil I have personally found it to make strawberries sweeter but cannot prove that.

Magnesium Deficiencies, cause older leaves to show yellowing between the veins. It looks like yellow triangles if you step back. On palm trees older fronds will yellow or brown early. Palm trees that have long ground sweeping green fronds do not have Magnesium or Manganese deficiencies.

CSRA Landscaping
04-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Beggin' yer pardon, sir ... so what would be a good source for Mn?

Ric
04-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Manganese sulfate

CSRA Landscaping
04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Of course ... what was I thinking? :rolleyes: