PDA

View Full Version : Please check my mulch #'s

GreenMonster
04-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Okay, I installed a bunch of mulch yesterday.

I went to supplier, and had 8 yards of mulch dumped into my 1 ton dump

Went to customer site and using a 6 cf wheelbarrow, made 43 trips with mulch.

So.... 6cf * 43 = 258cf

258/27 = 9.5yards

Plus I still have a strong yard or so left in the truck.

Do I need to figure compaction or anything else into my wheelbarrow numbers, or did I really do 9.5 yards of mulch???

I'm doing the invoice and just want to make sure I'm charging the customer appropriately.

Now, I have 6 1/2 foot sides on the one ton right now, so it will hold that much. Plus, the mulch was loaded with a 20 yard bucket, so not real exact measurements when I was loaded.

MudslinginFX4
04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Hmm... is 8 yards of mulch what you estimated to the customer? Is it also what you payed for? I think if you really used 9.5 yards but only paid for 8 yards I would split the difference with the customer, or keep the extra yard of mulch for another account.

GreenMonster
04-13-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah, 8 is what I paid for, but if I humped 9.5 yards by wheelbarrow, I should get the labor rate for 9.5 yards, right? But, I don't want to charge for 9.5 if I only did 8. I kind of assumed when I was loaded with 8, it would be pretty close to 8. Not so sure now.

I wasn't excatly sure what the customer was going to want mulched. this is kind of an on-going project and we cleaned out a big area with old old lilacs. When we left for the day on Saturday, didn't get to confirm if they wanted it mulched or not. Sure enough, on monday, they did.

If I didn't use it all, I was just gonna use it at home for my beds.

D Felix
04-13-2004, 09:11 PM
On our contract accounts, they pay for what we estimate. If it is estimated at 10 yards, and it only takes 8, they still pay for 10.

Chances are, you had the wheelbarrow heaped a little, right? Figure you had 7 cubic feet per load, rather than 6....

7*43= 301
301/27= 11.1 yards...

If you didn't have a contract specifying XX amount of mulch and XX amount of labor, and it was supposed to be a T&M job, then I would charge for the 9-11 yards that you used, plus however long it took times your hourly rate...

Dan

GreenMonster
04-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by D Felix
On our contract accounts, they pay for what we estimate. If it is estimated at 10 yards, and it only takes 8, they still pay for 10.

Chances are, you had the wheelbarrow heaped a little, right? Figure you had 7 cubic feet per load, rather than 6....

7*43= 301
301/27= 11.1 yards...

If you didn't have a contract specifying XX amount of mulch and XX amount of labor, and it was supposed to be a T&M job, then I would charge for the 9-11 yards that you used, plus however long it took times your hourly rate...

Dan

Yeah, it was T & M, so I want to charge what I used. I guess the fact that I supposedly had 8 yards loaded, spread 9.5, and still have a couple left, I doubted my numbers a little.

But hey, the math don't lie, right?

hortboy
04-14-2004, 10:20 PM
use this site, i often use it to confirm my numbers are correct on big jobs. http://clearwaterlandscapes.com/calculator.htm

dvmcmrhp52
04-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Let me just say this.........If you had 9.5 yards of mulch in a one ton truck you would have broken springs right now.

GreenMonster
04-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
Let me just say this.........If you had 9.5 yards of mulch in a one ton truck you would have broken springs right now.

Originally posted by GreenMonster

So.... 6cf * 43 = 258cf

258/27 = 9.5yards

Plus I still have a strong yard or so left in the truck.

OK, then. what gives?

D Felix
04-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I've had much, much, much more than 10 yards in a Super Duty Ford (older Super Duty, prolly a 350), on many, many occasions.

One truck in particular we could pack 16 yards onto on a regular basis, and still pull a skidsteer down the road. You knew it was loaded though, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk up Fords here!

Point is, 10 yards is not too much for a one ton to handle...

Dan

GeeVee
04-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Right, Dan above is correct, you could haul a ten yard pile-

But I gotta see this 20 yard loader.....

Also, don't beat yourself up about the wheebarrow time or amount per - neither are accurate enough to go setting next years budget on-

If I had a yard shop- I'd make sure you always got a smidge more, considering yer my power bill next month.

Actually read a few replies and found the real problem.

You ought not to be sweating the humping or the yardage- You cover XXX square feet with the appropriate amount of mulch for the area.

If it was new, it would get XXX inches. If it was work of your own that you were top dressing it would maybe get X inch, if it was some neglected bullshit it- needed XX inches. Times the square footage and subtract a few square feet for the plant material.

A yard a man an hour traveling sixty feet......

What you need/get for a man or yard I don't know.

GreenMonster
04-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I've had much, much, much more than 10 yards in a Super Duty Ford (older Super Duty, prolly a 350), on many, many occasions.

One truck in particular we could pack 16 yards onto on a regular basis, and still pull a skidsteer down the road. You knew it was loaded though, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk up Fords here!

Dan

Go ahead Dan, talk em up! That's what I had loaded.

After I was loaded, I looked at the overload springs. Still had room go.

dvmcmrhp52
04-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Go ahead Dan, talk em up! That's what I had loaded.

After I was loaded, I looked at the overload springs. Still had room go.

Then it is not a 1 ton truck.

dvmcmrhp52
04-18-2004, 08:18 PM

Dan

16 yards in a 1 ton truck?
you guys are kidding yourselves.

Expert Lawns
04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
on average, how long would you say it would take one man to spread 15 yards of mulch using a regular wheelborrow and shovel? mulch is dumped in the driveway, all beds are within 20 yards of the pile. thanks (just a rough estimate from someone who has experienced this)

GeeVee
04-19-2004, 08:27 AM
A yard a man an hour-

GreenMonster
04-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
on average, how long would you say it would take one man to spread 15 yards of mulch using a regular wheelborrow and shovel? mulch is dumped in the driveway, all beds are within 20 yards of the pile. thanks (just a rough estimate from someone who has experienced this)

I did the "supposed" 9.5 yards in my original post with wheelbarrow and pitchfork in roughly eight hours. None of the beds were very convienent either.

I did some edge cutting that day too. So, either a yards a manhour is a little low, or I really only spread about 6 yards.
:D

sharpcutter
04-19-2004, 11:48 PM
10 yards in a one ton is no problem. 16 is way overloaded, if you had sides big enough to fit it all.

expert

The cost for one man to spread 15 yards would be too much. Lots of wasted effort. 15 yards, I would take no less than two men not including me. Four men total is just right for 15-20 yards. I would have the beds edged, plants fertilized, beds preened and mulched cleaned up in about 4-5 hours. Oh thats trimming all the shrubs in the beds also.

D Felix
04-20-2004, 12:32 PM
If memory serves, we were putting 16 yards into a '94 Super Duty Ford. I think it had a 16' bed on it, and high sides.

We regularly put 15 yards on an 18' flatbed trailer and have a lot more room to put on more if we wanted.... Trailer is rated at 12k, so probably just a little more capacity than that Ford was....

Anyway, GM, did you ever figure out how you were going to charge for the job?

Dan

GreenMonster
04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
If memory serves, we were putting 16 yards into a '94 Super Duty Ford. I think it had a 16' bed on it, and high sides.

We regularly put 15 yards on an 18' flatbed trailer and have a lot more room to put on more if we wanted.... Trailer is rated at 12k, so probably just a little more capacity than that Ford was....

Anyway, GM, did you ever figure out how you were going to charge for the job?

Dan

Dan,

Charged my hourly rate for my time there, plus 9 yards pine mulch at my regular sell price. Based on the numbers discussed in this thread, I put down a little more than 9 -- so customer got a little more than they paid for, plus I made out too.

OBTW, this customer has been a great find. They practically have me on retainer:D

D Felix
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
We like those kinds of customers. Especially if they are ready to give you a check before you leave!

If all we had were customers like those, even if they were only $500 at a time, I think all would be good in the world. As long as we had enough of them!:)