PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for Small strip of landscape

Big M LawnnSnow
04-15-2004, 06:12 AM
I have a commercial customer with a small store in town that wants to spruce up a now grassy area to show improvements and catch potential customers eyes as they drive by.
The area is only 3 feet wide and approx 60 feet long. and sits between the 2 parking lot entrances.
Theres a curb on the outside and a side walk on the inside.
Just a long rectangle.
I'm going brain dead just looking at it.
Any Ideas for this piece of grass???
Trees would not work in this area as he dosent want to block the view of the store.
Help!!!!
Thanks
MJ

KenH
04-15-2004, 07:46 AM
How about a full season color display of perennials, with a few small evergreens thrown in for winter interest.

lbmd1
04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
MJ,
try some ornamental grasses. They look beautiful in season, and easy to maintain. Cut back in late fall. They can handle abuse from snowplows, salt, etc., and come back each year.

Mike

Big M LawnnSnow
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Definately something to consider,
Thanks guys
MJ

Artistic Blooms
04-15-2004, 10:19 PM
First, which direction does this area face? N,S,W,E. Although not wide you've got quite a bit of room. What about removing all grass, adding some rocks in groupings scattered throughout in various sizes to give a little more depth and plant for all seasons, Grasses are great perennials blooming from spring to fall and of course annuls to give that puch! Good Luck.

KenH
04-16-2004, 08:07 AM
What would be a spring blooming grass for NJ????

NNJLandman
04-16-2004, 02:53 PM
I guess some lower shrubs maybe add some texture to the grassy area, cut a slowly weaving curving edge along the grass(leaving some grass from the sidewalk but taking out the rest for landscape) maybe build a small fieldstone wall like at the most 5 inches high for some texture then some nice plants, berberis, gold thread juniper, eunynoumous, azela, rhodes, etc some mulch and delware river rock.....just some ideas.

Jeff

GrazerZ
04-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Ditto on the grasses. Try larger clumping grasses. Put in a large amount of bulbs in the fall. The bulbs will come up in the spring next year before the grasses. When the bulbs are done,cut back then the grasses will come. Interplant grasses with flowering annuals to add bold color and draw attention to his store.

Big M LawnnSnow
04-16-2004, 05:28 PM
You guys have some great ideas.
I'm going to start laying it out now.
Thanks
MJ