PDA

View Full Version : mulch installation price?

rookiemower
04-15-2004, 11:24 AM
How much do you charge for mulch to install it? I can get premium dark hardwood mulch for $25-35 a yard. the guy im installing it for is my neighbor, and he will probaly get me alot more jobs so i want to give him a decent deal.:)

scott in the soo
04-15-2004, 05:59 PM
when pricing mulch i double the cost and that is what i charge the customer...

here in the soo pine mulch runs around 23.50 (canadian), so for example if i was installing 4 yards of mulch, I would charge 188.00 plus g.s.t of course.

culand
04-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rookiemower
How much do you charge for mulch to install it? I can get premium dark hardwood mulch for $25-35 a yard. the guy im installing it for is my neighbor, and he will probaly get me alot more jobs so i want to give him a decent deal.:)
All mulch prices is different.

We charge for ceder mulch >> $ 25. to 45 a yard . Cost $10.00yard.

bobbygedd
04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
first of all, if you're paying $25-$35 a yard, you're gettin humped. second of all, minimum of $65 a yard, installed, is a decent price.

dlandscaping
04-15-2004, 10:40 PM
32 a yard of hemlock and installed its 80-90 a yard.

Jb3NH
04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Dlandscaping, My Price just went Up :)

~JB

launboy
04-15-2004, 11:58 PM
ya man you can get the mulch for that price maybe cheaper but i kind of live near chi town and thats what i get it for and just double it . be reasonable on the discount but don't short change yourself.

wriken
04-16-2004, 12:31 AM
me too, I 2.5 x it

culand
04-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
first of all, if you're paying $25-$35 a yard, you're gettin humped. second of all, minimum of $65 a yard, installed, is a decent price.

Prices up North may be higher, and people my pay the higher price for your mulch ,BUT not here .

The going price is $25. to $35 a yard and every landscaper charges this price . So what can I do , I have to go with the flow or lose the job! :confused:

I look at your Prices and wish We could Charge this amount, but in the Two small towns around the area , we can't.
CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com
Landscape and Lawn Care

bobbygedd
04-16-2004, 06:47 PM
then i wouldn't do it. right now i pay about $12 a yard for nice double shredded root mulch. i charge $65 a yard .

economiclawncare
04-17-2004, 12:53 AM
i charge $40 a yard to install plus the price of the mulch and if it is over 3 yards they pay for delivery. I really hate going to pick it up. It wastes to much time could be mowing a lawn for another $45 while waiting for it to be delivered

vango123
04-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I charge 45$ to install +25$ for the mulch per yard. Mulch cost 18$ yard. Min 65$ a yard If not a regular customer. You need to optimize each account. mulch , landscaping, cutting, spraying, fert., Painting, carpenter work etc. Talk to your customers when ever possible. Whom ever you see while doing the yard is a potiental customer. Charge what it cost to do business and make a profit, not what the market will bear.

sildoc
04-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jb3NH
Dlandscaping, My Price just went Up :)

~JB
I think you will find with gas prices all of the landscaping materials are going up.

nuchdig
04-20-2004, 12:39 AM
It's interesting to see the varying prices for the diffferent regions. I know of many guys in my area that charge upwards of $100 per yard! The big express blower co in town charges $55 per yd as well as a "detail/clean up" fee. I charge $32 per yd plus labor.

olderthandirt
04-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
then i wouldn't do it. right now i pay about $12 a yard for nice double shredded root mulch. i charge $65 a yard .

Hey someone understands how to make some money. I pay $10 a yd and charge $80 installed, do I get them all? No but I only need to do half as many as the guy charging $40 for the same amount of money. Half the work for the same amount of money, no brainer

Mac

rookiemower
04-20-2004, 01:12 AM
thanks guys i'm paying $25 a yard and charging $50, its only me, but i can hump it out quick. the thing that sucks is re-edging the beds

GeeVee
04-20-2004, 09:09 AM
A yard a man an hour- What you pay for the yard and what you need/get per hour is unknown to me.

This is what you need to know.

Not "how to multiply".

lawnguyz2k3
04-21-2004, 11:39 PM
just to let you know don't feel bad charging your neighbor the going rate to mulch his house. if you don't someone else will . If you want to cut him a brake give him a wheel barrel and let him bring the mulch to you .. buy the way if you get mulch for 20.00
charge at least 65.00 you have to go and get it move it and edge the beds its a lot of work. SO GET PAID WHAT YOU ARE WORTH !

brentsawyer
04-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Here we pay anywhere from $14.50-18. The lower price is less than a yard and the 18 is a full yard and a little more and it spreads real nice at a different locaction. I usually charge $45-50 which I know is on the lower end but I have a truck that will carry 14 at a time and I can easily unload it 1.5 times per day which brings in over $70 per hour for me. Tuesday I put down 19 yards in 10 hours at 4 different locations.

Joe25
04-24-2004, 11:01 PM
I am getting mulch for $22.00 a yard. I charge $65.00 a yard installed, plus additional fee for bed prep, and re-edging.

Fescue Farmer
04-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Are you edging? If you are not, you should. If your customer does not want his beds and tree rings edged, you should sell him on it and charge $1.00 a foot for soft edges (where mulch meets turf) and .50 cents to $1.00 for hard edges (where mulch meets a hardscape such as a driveway or side walk. Natural edging is beautiful coupled with a vertically edged stand of turf - it produces a crisp, clean look. Natural edging also helps keep mulch from spilling out into the turf a hardscape after a gully washer.

If you are edging, are you able to take the edging debris and spread it through out the mulch bed or does it need to be hauled away?

What is the access like? Do you have to wheel barrow up or down steep hills or long distances? Do you have to 5-gallon bucket it into tight spots?

Are you going to lay the mulch down and not smooth it or are you carefully smoothing it? I use a smooth nap paint roller with a long extendable handle to smooth the mulch and give it a unique glassy look.

All of these factors and more can come into play when pricing a mulch job.

On most of my smaller residential jobs, it usually comes out to around $60 - $75 dollars per yard after everything is factored in.

Of course there is always somebody out there who will low ball a job and not do any edging and just sling the mulch everywhere and not smooth it - but sometimes that is all a customer wants.

matthew horner
04-25-2004, 11:52 PM
there is'nt mention of charging less for big jobs. Don't yall do that?

matthew horner
04-25-2004, 11:55 PM
wait, wait, wait. I just saw the paint thing. You really do that? I just use a push broom. It does a great job. A paint roller. You are unique.:D

scott's turf
04-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Maybe we are slow but we need to charge around $100/yd to make about $50/ man hour. Usually around 60% of the time is bed prep, weeding, pruning, edging. The mulch installation is the easy part.

Fescue Farmer
04-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Large Jobs: it all depends - If I have a really big job, I can get a 60 yard semi load of mulch delivered less expensively than if I were picking it up myself. My dump trailer holds only 10 yards. So if I had 60 yards delivered, I can get it for less $, but now I have a 60 yard pile of mulch to deal with. What if the job only needed 50 yards of mulch? Here a skid steer is nice. (by the way, I am having a new MT52 Bobcat w/trencher and two augers being delivered today!!!!!!!!!!!!) Load up the remaining 10 yards and use it on your next job or take it back to the shop.

Whether you are putting down 1 yard or 60, it takes the same amount of grunt for each yard layed down. As the yard #'s increase , the amount of time to lay it down does not decrease, so aside from making more $ by having more product tomark up, I try to not discount for volume. But then again, my largest account is only 60 yards (I currently have a bid on an account that will require 240 yards of mulch - "little job - could lose little" "big job - could lose big!") So some of the other folks out there who have some large accounts could probably give you better counsel.

As for the paint roller - try it, you'll like it and so will your customers - seems to give them "over the back fence neighborhood braggin' rights" - "My landscaper uses a paint roller on my mulch; see how smooth it is!"

Fescue Farmer
04-26-2004, 10:40 AM
I heard that Home Turf Lawn Care! Once all the edging, cleanup and pruning are done, I feel like the actual mulching is a breeze - kinda like a guy restoring an old classic car - hours of sheetmetal prep work, rust fixing, dent pounding, sanding, taping, priming, and then just minutes to shoot with paint!