PDA

View Full Version : PTO Help?

fga
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
I noticed on my Dumptruck, when I'm parked at a house, that where the PTO is, there will be a few drips. Its been like this all spring so far,I've been in denial and ignoring it. Today, I went to dump some water out of the dump body, and it would't go up too high, just lifted about 1 1/2'. I know nothing about the PTO, is there a fluid resovoir i can check and refill? Help....

specialtylc
04-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Yes there is a fluid reservoir. PTO drives a hydro pump and it is most likely just low on fluid. Or worse case is the pump is on its way out.

fga
04-16-2004, 01:28 AM
thanks, a few questions.........
1) Is it acessable with dump down?

2) Is there a special hydraulic fluid for this, or can I use the the heavy duty stuff I have for my plow?

I haven't looked under there yet, is there a cap on the resovoir similar to like........ power steering, or is a a bolt, like checking the oil on a Briggs motor?

They might be stupid questions, but I don't want to get hurt under there, or think I fixed it and have it come down on someone. Thanks.

Gravel Rat
04-16-2004, 02:16 AM
The first thing you have to find out is the drip transmission fluid (80w90) or is it hydraulic fluid from the hydraulic pump. PTOs are known to drip gear oil either from the flange or the output shaft on the PTO. You will know when your out of hydraulic oil the pump will make a squeel noise its hard to describe.

I don't know what you have for a hydraulic hoist or what you have for a juice tank you never said the first thing you check is your hydraulic fluid level. If that checks out your pump might be going bad you should be raising the rpms on the engine when your dumping a pump will not pump enough fluid with the engine idling.

When working under a raised box always have a brace jammed under the box incase the hoist looses pressure and the box suddenly drops.

bnrhuffman
04-16-2004, 07:45 AM
You may have to raise your bed some more to check your fluid or you may not. Your reservoir will more than likely sit under your bed up close behind the cap. It will have a cap on it, about the size of a gas filler cap. All of the advice above is good, especially the advice about bracing up the bed before sticking your head under it, even more so since you are having hydraulic trouble with it. I havent had to add or replace any fluid in mine so Im not sure what kind is in it. I assume its just standard hydraulic fluid, but assuming isnt the best way to approach most things. Post something when you find out what it takes, I may need to know sometime.

fga
04-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, I'll post back.

fga
04-18-2004, 12:14 AM
I looked under there today, its not the actual PTO coming out of the trans., its the pump I assuming, further back with the hoses to the the lift piston. (the pump has the connecting shaft to the PTO, right?)
Does that have a resovoir to fill also? If this does need to be replaced, is it a big deal as far as cost and procedure? Thanks.

Gravel Rat
04-18-2004, 12:34 AM
The PTO should have a driveshaft from the PTO to the pump then you should have a suction line from your juice tank to the pump and a high pressure line to the hoist.

The first thing you have todo is check you hydraulic fluid level if its low fill it up and see if it cures your problem.