PDA

View Full Version : need help with new lawn

ridnwild
04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I live in the midsouth (north west MS) I'm almost finished with my new house (2-3 weeks) I've got 3 1/2 acres mostly weeds now. I want a Beautiful lawn but canít decide on witch grass seed to buy. Bermuda, Zoyzia, or St. Augustine. Also what kind of ground preparation do I need to do? When we get finished it will be completely level.

NickN
04-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Centipede! Disk up the area,spread your seed ,and harrow it off.

culand
04-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ridnwild
I live in the midsouth (north west MS) I'm almost finished with my new house (2-3 weeks) I've got 3 1/2 acres mostly weeds now. I want a Beautiful lawn but canít decide on witch grass seed to buy. Bermuda, Zoyzia, or St. Augustine. Also what kind of ground preparation do I need to do? When we get finished it will be completely level.

use the grass that you would like , just make sure that you feed the grass. need to water all the area twice a week until it start to grow. make sure you put down RYE GRASS to hold the seed from washing away. This grass is good for the summer and will die out by winter.It will come up in two or three days and look like you have a yard of grass , don't mow it for a while:alien:
CULTURAL LANDSCAPE
culturscape@aol.com
Landscape and Lawn Care

ridnwild
04-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks. I used to live in Louisiana & I had St. Augustine it look awesome. It also choked all the weeds out it even tried to choke the monkey grass out. I had to pull it out of the flowerbed every week (monkey grass border). I was told the winters got too cold up here for it though. Also in preparation should I disk the weeds I have now or kill them first?
Thanks

NickN
04-17-2004, 10:39 AM
My uncle lives near you in Old Houlka MS.It's close to Okolona.He simply disked up his entire 5 acres,spread his seed and harrowed it off.He now has oneof the prettiest lawns I've seen.It's all centipede.Thrives during the hot dry months and doesn't kill off in the winter.
Also,I have other family members who live in Pontotoc county MS who have St.Augustine.They too were told it wouldn't grow,but it's doing just fine.My mom and dads home in north Alabama has St.Augustine also.
Something about north MS.It's the hottest most humid place I've ever been and I live just one state over.