PDA

View Full Version : JCB Skidsteers

chico
04-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Hello Everyone!
I just wanted some opinions on jcb's line od skidsteers and jcb equipment in general. What other company's can you compare them to, would you think of buying one, price high or low? Good machine bad machine etc....

Thanks

Tevi
04-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I've used numerous JCB equipment.I own a JCB 520telehandler.In 4 years I've only had to replace the starter.JCB is very cutting edge on all thier equipment.I like the Robots for the 2 speed tranny and manual throttle over ride.The joystick controls are also the same that Cat uses.JCB also design easy servicability into thier equipment.Everybody I talk to that owns a JCB raves about them

Tigerotor77W
04-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Tevi,

You seem to be quite content with your JCB equipment. I'm glad you've found something that works well. :-)

Chico --

THe JCB line is innovative because of its single-arm loader mechanism. Most manufacturers will tell you that the single-arm is weaker, but JCB has done structural analysis and they claim that their arm is five times stronger. *shrugs* Who knows for certain. But one thing is for certain -- operators are kept MUCH safer when entering and exiting the cab from the side. There is simply no doubt about that.
The JCB lineup doesn't have the highest breakout force, but any operator will tell you that numbers don't mean everything. The physical size of their largest machines are, I believe, comparable to a Case 1845C? The power is better, though, as is the lift height, wheelbase, lift capacity, angles (rollback, dump, departure), and visibility.
I'm not sure how JCB stacks up against the competition -- I've never used one and have never actually seen one in action. I know they hold up very well, though, and their dealer support should be oustanding. The are renowned for their backhoe loaders and telehandlers especially; now, their lines of excavators and wheel loaders are getting more popular as JCB adapts to competitive pressures.

Hope that helps.

Tevi
04-17-2004, 10:32 PM
The JCB can also be ordered with Bobcat controls.I can't use Bobcat controls because I don't use one enough to be productive.I find joystick alot easier.Unless they've changed it the only draw back to a JCB is you can't mount rear hydraulic stabalizers.I do love the JCB line>Thier 215S backhoe has 4 wheel drive with 4 wheel steering also does crabsteering.The new backhoes also have armrest mounted joystock control for the backhoe and you can put the seat in any position to control the backhoe.My neighbor has a JCB tractor for his farm.It runs 40mph on the road.Has 4 wheel drive with independant suspesion.Has air over hydraulic 4wheel disc brakes.He said it rides better than his truck.He can cut hay at 25mph can't go any faster cause the equipment can't keep up.BobcatS250 you should get a subscription to Equipment World it's free and it's great reading.I would love to have a Toolcat.I think it's the best utility vehicle out there.

lawnproslawncare
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
We used to have one. I loved the side entry and the fact that the boom is guaranteed for its lifetime. They were tricky to get used to controlling (I'm used to standard bobcats with foot controls)

accurate machinery
02-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I have always liked the JCB line but a cpuple things to watch out for, their parts prices and resale value. The parts prices for JCB are crazy high and the parts are almost never on the shelf. I have a long history working with used JCB's of almost all models, they are competitive in all applications as long as you compare apples to apples. The parts situation leaves something to be desired, and resale value is poor. Look for some auction results for the model you are looking for, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

bobcat_ron
02-01-2009, 03:00 PM
The side entry is a joke, you actually get dirty getting in and out like the old Deere's loaders, you have to step out/in on to a slimy track and pray you don't slip.
The smallest model lacks enough reach and lift height to even compete with a Bobcat T180, but their loaders have a lifetime warranty on them, and I have seen them in person, trust me, the main pin on the rear is MASSIVE, it's like the main bucket pin on a 45 ton excavator.

ksss
02-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I was going to mention the zero resale value but someone beat me to it. Years ago there used to be one in this area. Since JCB pulled their dealership you don't see any. Unfortunately the City here had several JCB backhoes. They are forced to sell them at auction. No one will trade them out of them. They maybe decent machines and if you lived in other parts of the world it might even be the best choice. Over here I think not. The Robot especially. Their control system is terrible in my opinion, they are ungodly loud. and you cant see out of the back right side of machine. The side entry is cool but it was solution to which no one really had a problem with. Do people get crushed between the loader arms and bucket, yes I am sure they do. Is it a pandemic? No it is not. I have always thought to design a skid steer around having a side entry access seems a little over the top. I am sure some people like them, but if you buy one you will likely have to keep them as getting out of the machine will likely be costly.

Tigerotor77W
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Okay, this is out of pure curiosity... but how did you manage to dig up a 4 year-old thread? Did you search for JCB and come up with this?

Again, just out of curiosity.

accurate machinery
02-01-2009, 06:30 PM
That is funny, I never looked at the date. One thing that I have noticed is that the JCB's one arm bandits are popular at the garages or repair shops because they can lift out an engine and sit there with the arm up. Then the side entry is very valuable.

2109 Stang
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
:usflag:I know a guy that just purchased a robot recently brand new and the controls are very very touchy ,it's like you try to lift or tilt and nothing happens and then wamm , a couple of weeks a go he was trying to install a small diesel engine on his sail boat using the machine and almost killed his friend with that motor swinging around ,and he also says it's loud but he doesn't care about that since he doesn't use it every day.:usflag: