PDA

View Full Version : 48" or 60" ztr?

chunk
04-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi,
I'm in the market for a ztr. My choice today, would be Scag. I can get a 48" tiger cub for 5899.
I have about 4 acres to mow, plus a remote acre a half mile away. I was thinking I would want a 60" mower, but the better ones are all close to 7 grand. The mower ratings for how much you can do in one hour show that the 48" deck would take about 15 minutes longer to mow 4 acres than a 60" mower.
That doesn't sound too bad, but i wonder if this is true in reality. Dealer estimates often go out the window in real life use.
Advantages of the 48" deck are that it would fit in smaller places, but that is not an advantage for me. All wide open mowing right now, but plan to landscape lots. Do not plan any areas with less than 6 to 10' clearance. So I'm looking for the pros point of view as to the advantages of 48" vs 60" mower deck for a ztr mower.
Recomendations for good quality ztr's in the 6k price range also apriceated.
Thanks guys,
chunk

jrs mowing
04-19-2004, 10:58 PM
If it were me I would get a 60"
Have you looked at a Country Clipper. they have a new mower out this yr. called charger it my be in your price range?

chunk
04-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks Jr.
I have not looked at them, but I heard about a dealer that carries that brand about 45 mins away from me. I've heard about the joy stick steering with those. Do you use that? Is it better than the conventional ztr way of steering?
Thanks,
Chunk

jrs mowing
04-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I have the ts. My dealer says once u have a js u wont want the ts again. I prefere the ts myself.

mowhigh
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
chunk, I thought the joystick felt a little twitchy the first couple of times that I tried it (a few minutes at the dealer's and a few more on someone's yard). But after mowing a friend's yard (his neighbors are always volunteering to do his mowing!) and hauling it to do my first mowing of the season (the far back acre was thick and super tall) I'm hooked on the joystick!
I thought I would need the the full commercial Charger or Zeton to handle the back part, but the 19 hp (Kawi) 48" JAZee had no problems at all.
I'll probably still go with the Charger (just came out) because the intro pricing is hard to beat (20 hp Kohler 48" starts at $5545, up to 25 hp 60" at $6385). My friend is getting the 23hp/52" at $5845 (all 3 decks come with Kawi/Kohler or twin/joy -stick options). Good luck!

chunk
04-23-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm going to use the ole budget strecher and go for the Scag Wildcat w/ 61" advantage deck. I got what seems to be a killer deal (7500) from a local dealer. It has the 27hp Kohler engine and is built like a tank.
Thanks for the replies guys!
Chunk