PDA

View Full Version : sporadic wipers

MowJo
12-01-2000, 08:51 PM
My 1993 Chevy 3500 is suffering from sporadic wipers, they will sometimes shut off unexpectedly which is quite spooky, especially when raining. It acts as if there is a short somewhere in the control switch. Has anyone else had this problem or better yet, know how to fix it?

John DiMartino
12-01-2000, 10:26 PM
This is a problem on a lot of GM trucks,its the motor's circiut board,and or the connector at the motor.The board can be fixed,or exchanged for a new one,Try wigging the connctor t the mtor when it wont work,if that does it,clean the termimnals and attach a wire tie around the connector to keep it tight.if that doesnt do it,you need to fix or replace the board inside the motor,it can be done in the truck.Il try to get you details,

bob
12-01-2000, 10:33 PM
My 1995 did the same thing. I had to put a new board in. It cost $50. It was pretty easy to install.

BRL
12-01-2000, 10:35 PM
Had the same problem with my 93 Blazer but my mechanic replaced the whole motor. I wonder how much cheaper it would have been to just replace the board.

MowJo
12-02-2000, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check the connections. Actually I did replace the motor several years back with a used one from a salvage yard. At that time the wipers had quit working completely and never came back on, thats why I thought it was a short this time around. I wonder if it was only the connection then.

John, any details on the circut board would be appreciated if that ends up being the problem. Thanks again

bighed
12-03-2000, 03:42 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem on his 95. He took the motor out, checked the board with a magnifying glass and found a broken connection on the board. Soldered it himself and has been working fine for a couple years now.

fordkilla454
12-04-2000, 08:49 PM
Wow,
I was flipping through this site and happen to be thinking about my problem with this at the same time on my 95 Chevrolet. I appreciate the advice. Decided I would register cause this site seemed to provide sound advice.