PDA

View Full Version : New lawn bare patches

lawnkid
04-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Here's the thing, I removed a lawn with a sodcutter and spread about 3-4" of needed topsoil before I seeded. I used a fescue mix when I planted and this was getting late in the fall so I hoped it would come in ok. Well it came in great for the most part before winter but now there are still some bare patches because the next week after I planted the lawn, it rained like everryday so I have a feeling some seeds washed away. Is there anyway other than spotseeding where I can help fill in these bare patches?

The Good Earth
04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Give it another week then see what you have. Here in Columbus soil temps are just nosing above 50. The soil has to be over 55 for the seed to germinate.

If you don't have anything after the soil temps come up then you are going to have to spot seed. Take some seed and mix it with a little hydromulch. I just do it dry in a wheel barrow or something like that. Throw it where you need it and add a bit of water. Cheap and easy pennmulch is all it is.

lawnkid
04-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Where can I get some hydromulch? Never heard of it.

sharpcutter
04-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Our most successful lawns were those that we installed in the late fall. If it came in great in the fall, than chances are it will fill in this spring. The weather has slowed us up a bit in the northeast, and the lawns are not pushing as they should. I agree, wait another week or so and see what comes in. If youhave not already done so, give it a good fertilizing to get it up and running.

for those small spot seedings, I just go over it with a steel rake and seed it.

lawnkid
04-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna assume that you are talking about a fertilizer that will help strengthen the oots of the existing germinated seeds right? I will most definietly have to spot seed I am thinking.

muddstopper
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
hydromulch is not fertilizer. It is a paper and wood cellose product that is used to retain moisture and protect the seed. Some hydromulches do contain some fertilizer.