PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Plan Opinion?

kdlklm
04-20-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for an opinion on my landscape plan. I have two areas that I have laid out in AutoCAD, the end of my driveway which has a gradual slope towards the grass, and the fire pit area behind my house. I'm curious about what people think about my choice of shrubs. I am located in a zone 3 area. With very harsh winters.

kdlklm
04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
second photo of fire pit area

Lombardi
04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
It looks very nice. I might caution you about the Alberta Spruces and the Dogwoods. The spruces look very nice when they are just planted , but after about 5 years they start to get fat around the middle and unshapely, much like humans in middle age.
In my area the dogwoods are very temperamental and have to be placed in a protected area.
Is AutoCad a design program that you can purchase? If so reply with info. Thanks.

kdlklm
04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your feedback, AutoCAD is a drafting software, not specifically designed for landscape architecture, but does work very well. But it is expensive. What would you recommend other than dogwoods.

Www.Autodesk.com

LawnJohn
04-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Instead of Dogwoods, how about a Cherry or Crape Myrtle or Wax Myrtle?

LawnJohn
04-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Hmmm.... scratch the Wax Myrtle.

LawnJohn
04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
How about a Paper Bark Maple or Flowering Crabapple?

kdlklm
04-20-2004, 04:15 PM
I don't want anything that is over five feet.

polecat63
04-20-2004, 07:36 PM
THen go with the crepe myrtle. You can pollard them at whatever height you want them within reason.

chesie
04-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I think he will have a very hard time growing a Crape Myrtle in Zone 3.......just a wee bit too far north.:D

Four Season's
04-20-2004, 10:45 PM
kdlklm,
I am in zone 4 in Southern-Central Maine, which is closer to your zone than some of the guys down south.
I tried to think of some other hardy shrubs that I've had good luck with.
PJM rhodedendron
globe aborvitae
cap yew
flowering sand cherry
red twigged dogwoods
viburnum
blue star juniper, low growing juniper with interesting blue color
privet, for a formal hedge
burning bush

Four Season's
04-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I forgot to say that it is a good looking plan. how long did that take to do in autocad?

polecat63
04-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Dang, missed the zone three and Canada.:eek:

kdlklm
04-21-2004, 11:00 AM
the plan itself took a couple hours, then researching the plants took a few more. AutoCAD is really nice to work in. If you can track down all the landscape blocks. Most of them are free on the Internet. I've forgot to mention, I need shrubs that are somewhat resistant to wildlife. I get a lot of deer and rabbits.

Drafto
04-21-2004, 12:37 PM
kdlklm - Is there any way you could zip your blocks up and email them to me? I have ACAD 2002 and I haven't found it to be the most efficient way to do designs, for the reason that I have to draw every tree and shrub. I was looking on the web for stuff and it seems to not be as eay to find as it used to be. I am not looking for handouts, if you could point me in a better direction that would be fine too. I bought Punch! Master Landscape Pro and I wasn't impressed with it at all. I have too much $$$ invested in the ACAD to give up on it. I am very proficient with it I have been using it for almost 10 years, but it would just be a lot easier if everytime I wanted to install a new planting I didn't have to crate a new block for it. I was thinking about Landscape Pro after reading some reviews on Lawnsite, but I cannot justify another $1,000 when I already spent that on ACAD.

As far as your design, I think it looks great. My only advice is that usually your first instinct is the correct one, I would leave the design as is, you could talk yourself into completely redesigning if you wanted to....

Dan

email: drafto@insertkey.com

kdlklm
04-21-2004, 05:38 PM
I tried Punch! Master landscape Pro, and I didn't like it at all. So I went back to AutoCAD.

I am trying to come up with a design for a rock garden with a bridge over it. The area would probably cover about 20 by 30. But I seem to have a brain cramp on this one. Any feedback or photos would be much appreciated.