PDA

View Full Version : Questions about laying a brick patio

Impostor
04-20-2004, 05:16 PM
I am definitely new to this business, but a friend told me to never turn down work. So I have this customer that wants me to lay down one of these cheap brick/stone patios in this little fenced in condo yard.

I have a question for those that have done these. What kind of liner what I put underneath the brick/stone to make sure weeds and such to not grow up through the brick?

Also, is there any other generally useful information I might need to know that would of you experienced guys could provide?

Thanks in advance.

D Felix
04-20-2004, 05:36 PM
If your friend told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?

I'm not trying to discourage you, just think about how you take advice, and who you take it from. Hesitate before you accept any new work that you have never done or even seen done before. Reputations last for a long time in this business.....

No liner or any other type of weed barrier.

Excavate the soil to the proper depth, compact the soil, add 3-6 inches of gravel, compact, add 1 inch of sand, compact, screed the sand, lay the brick, sweep sand into the joints, compact the bricks to set with either 1/2" of sand over bricks or with a pad of some sort on the compactor.

See a pattern? Lotsa compaction is the key. If you need more than 3-4 inches of gravel, bring it in in 3" lifts, compacting between lifts. The only other possible step would be to put down geotextile fabric between the soil base and the gravel. This should help to keep the gravel from settling into the soil. Depending on soil conditions, it may or may not be necessary.

Pavers really aren't that difficult. Make sure the grade slopes at least 1/4" per foot away from the house. Cutting takes time, if you can do a square patio, do it instead of something with a curve. Curves add time, and therefore $$$$....

As far as paver patios being cheap, I've got a quote out for a patio where the homeowners already have roughly 1/2 of the materials on site, and the price came to almost $11/square foot. And that was with nearly the cheapest pavers around. Anything less than $10/square foot for a residential job and you either don't know what you are doing or seriously miscalculated something. Concrete slabs cost a lot less than pavers. Stamped concrete is probably less too.

There's been several threads the last few months on pavers, use the search function and see what you can find.

Dan

Impostor
04-20-2004, 05:48 PM
excellent reply. Thanks.

Of course there are some jobs I would turn down, but I'm pretty sure I can handle this one.

Much appreciated.

alpine692003
05-25-2004, 03:02 AM
same here.. lol.. i'm about to bid on a 100 sq feet brick patio..