PDA

View Full Version : Building steps

meets1
04-20-2004, 06:55 PM
We are bidding on a 6 x 10 base platform, ( this area is right out the door) with 3 risers.

This will then be surround with a brick paver patio.

I am looking at either capping the steps or glueing the paver onto them as a transition b/t block and pavers.

I am looking at # of block to use? If you want to include a price that would be great as well.

meets1
04-20-2004, 10:58 PM
No one builds steps, ya all sub this out??

o-so-n-so
04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Read the post....Can't help...

Good luck......

AGLA
04-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Some things that you want to consider are how do the blocks you are going to use come together at the ends of the steps, what length of tread will the blocks create without a lot of cutting and fussing, how will that length of tread effect cutting and fussing with the material that you do the tread with, and how well will the tread surface stay attached to the block.

Definitely draw this out or piece parts of it together, so you know what you will run into. That way you won't have explain why you had to resize this, or change that out at your customers house.

As far as looks go, the pavers will look great, but the wall capping block will look good, too. When it comes to glued down surfaces on steps, bigger is better because the forces acting on it (feet) are spread over a bigger area. Less cutting looks better, is faster, and usually means bigger more stable pieces.

If you call out a set of steps with a 12" tread length and the blocks are 16" long, how will you adjust the blocks on the sides of the steps to get that result? If you use pavers as surface, how will you keep material in the joints around the edges? These are just a couple of things to think about.

capital
04-21-2004, 06:31 AM
Meets1

I think I would loose the idea of glueing the steps with pavers. Build your steps with either a flagstone product or use a tumble wall block to build the steps. If you glue your pavers to a wall block you will be getting call backs when they come loose in your freeze thaw cycle.

meets1
04-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys - raining here 2nite so I can finish up pricing the job. I was starting to wonder if anyone has built steps b4!!