PDA

View Full Version : mulch

greenback
04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
how many hours would you estimate to spread out 1500 sq.ft. of mulch. mulch piles are about 100 ft away from where i need to put it. two men, two wheel barrels. i am guessing around 3, am i off or not.

DJL
04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
IMO, you are not making any sense. 1500 sq. ft. of mulch. Who buys mulch by the square foot? It's either cu.ft. or cu.yds. Is the flower/mulch bed 1500 square feet? In that case, at 2" thick you would require ~9 cubic yards of mulch. I would guess a between 2 and 3 hours.

greenback
04-21-2004, 03:36 PM
i do not think anyone buys mulch by the sq. ft., i did not say that is what i am buying. the customer has the mulch, i have to cover a total area of 1500 sq. ft., the mulch is 100 ft away. i gave him a price for three hours. hope this explaination helps you out. oh yeah, i did not buy themulch he has it on his property, about 100 feet away if i forgot to mention that.

DJL
04-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Again, you are not understanding!!

There is a big difference betweem laying down mulch 1" thick compared to 4" thick. In your case it could be the difference between having to spread 5 cubic yards or 19 cubic yards of mulch. So what is the amount of mulch you have to distribute so I can attempt to answer your question?

greenback
04-22-2004, 07:51 PM
dont worry about it the job is done, it was 1500 sq. ft. maybe 1/2" thick, it was just a cover thats why i said 1500 sq. ft. and no thickness. thanks anyway.

DJL
04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
According to your response should've been I had a little more than two yards to spread. But, I'm going to assume you only had two yards. How long did it take you? If you got 6 man-hours of labor out of that job you are doing a heck of a lot better than I am. I would expect no more than two man-hours.

greenback
04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by DJL
According to your response should've been I had a little more than two yards to spread. But, I'm going to assume you only had two yards. How long did it take you? If you got 6 man-hours of labor out of that job you are doing a heck of a lot better than I am. I would expect no more than two man-hours.

it took us a little more than 2 hours, i charged him 2 1/2. the mulch was home made and he has it on his property in the back, i am guessing he has about 15-20 yards of it. if i do the calculation i caould tell you how much we used but i do not have a calc. by me. i wish i could have squeezed 6 hours from him, i would be a rich man if al;l my jobs were like that.