PDA

View Full Version : stone landscape edging

bschuka29
04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I have a client who wants a decorative stone edging along her landscape beds. It's a new house, the beds are dug out already and they are bare (sod co. cut the beds out upon sod install), and the yard it relatively flat. Seems like it would be an easy installation, but since I've never done stone edging before, I don't have a clue on how to price the job. Total linear footage is about 200 ft. I've searched for a while and can't seem to find any examples of pricing for different types of edging. Any help is much appreciated.

landscapingpoolguy
04-21-2004, 07:37 PM
what kinda stone does she want?

o-so-n-so
04-21-2004, 07:56 PM
I just completed a stone bed border. It was on a slope and it was to retain the soil in the beds. I went all out with drainage, block wall, base and concrete footing, mortar between the rocks. It had to match some existing rock work on the house. Job was pretty long for me. Customer is very well pleased with rock work. Has had many people ask who done it?

It was my first rock border. I hope there will be many more.

Hard work involved in my project. Do your homework.......small items will add up fast....I did ok on my project but next time I will profit much more....

Try cost + your hourly rate.
This is not a fast moving thing if done right. Tight seems and bridge the gaps. Keep every part level for a more professional look. Don't just lay on the ground.

good luck...

bschuka29
04-22-2004, 12:48 AM
This edge won't be retaining any soil at all...she pretty much just wants a flat, precast block edge that will be just about level with the turf - she wants to be able to run the mower wheels on top of the blocks so she doesn't have to trim (or so she thinks).

Again, it doesn't look too tough, but there is that fear of under-estimating the man hours. I guess I am looking for a per-sqft formula to give me a place to start, then I can tweak the price accordingly and give her my estimate. Right now I am thinking somewhere in the ballpark of $3 to $4 per linear ft.
The blocks are 12 inches long, and around $1.50 a piece.

Does that sound right or am I going to be way off?