PDA

View Full Version : New lawn thicken up tips?

Dingo
12-02-2000, 09:27 PM
I did a total yard renovation on my own yard about 2 months ago and seeded with a turf type tall fescue from lesco. My problem is that its pretty thin and i want to try to thinken it up as much as possible before spring. I have been using 32-3-8 fert and leaving the grass long because it looks beter. What is the best way to get the lawn to thicken up? Would it spread better if the grass was shorter? Should apply something else to give it a kick? Also if it helps at all the yard is pretty shady and i live in Tn. Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
Dingo

MowJo
12-02-2000, 10:18 PM
You probably won't thicken things up much now, the top-growth is about done. Did you use a power seeder? Change your fertilizer, you want to feed the roots, lower the nitrogen. As far as shade is concerned it will always be a hinderance, but if the leaves have fallen it shouldn't matter much now. Thinning branches to let more light in will always help. Good Luck

Also you may have to overseed in spring if you had poor germination.

accuratelawn
12-03-2000, 08:52 PM
Be easy on the N with a new lawn in the shade. Use a starter application in early Spring.

powerreel
12-03-2000, 11:47 PM
http://www.rootsinc.com/