PDA

View Full Version : Elec. upgrade??

matthew Urban
12-02-2000, 09:36 PM
My past plowing has been done with 1ton dumps with dual battery set up, this is my first season with my own truck. a 92 f150. While it won't be doing a huge amount of plowing, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for the elec. system. With the lights, defroster, radio, etc... on the volt meter drops noticeably when you move the plow.
Its got the larger factory alternator(has A/C) and a 1 year old battery thats beyond fishers recomendation.
I've been out plowing once and the elec. isn't an imediate need but I think if we have a heavy winter I may fry something. Anyone else plow with a similar setup? Or have any ideas for it?
Thanks in advance
Matt

GeoffDiamond
12-02-2000, 09:44 PM
OK, the volt meter is always going to drop a lot with an electric plow. One thing that helps in a big heavy duty batery.

The other way you can sometimes go, depending on the truck's engine. Go to Ford tell them you have an ambulance, and need a new alternator. Those ambulance alternators put out a low of power.

Geoff

matthew Urban
12-02-2000, 09:50 PM
Geoff,
Its got the 5.0l 302 v-8.

I know it'll drop but my concern is its not as fast to recover as i'd like it to be.
thanks,
matt

GeoffDiamond
12-02-2000, 10:00 PM
I know that you can put an ambulance alternator on a 351, not sure about the 302. You will have to take the pully off your current alternator and put it on the ambulance one.

However before you do this, find a guy that works in a Ford shop. Make sure that everything will connect and work, with out making more problems. These guys in the Ford shop, can use Ford's service/parts computers to check into things like this.

Geoff

matthew Urban
12-02-2000, 10:16 PM
Geoff,
Appreciate the help, I'll check around on monday morning.
Think snow for western mass.
matt

thelawnguy
12-02-2000, 11:09 PM
Your biggest bang for the buck will be with a high reserve capacity battery (not necessarily cca) get one with 150+ min rc and you will never have a problem even with a 75 amp alternator. heck, a little hacking and make a group 31 fit in the tray and you are good as gold.

landscaper3
12-02-2000, 11:19 PM
Do you think a F-350 has a bigeer alternator? That may be an idea or like Geoff said find an ambulace one mabey even at a junk yard. Also see if there are any tow trucks in your area they run bigger alternators and some of the older ones have 351 which is close to yours. And also what the lawnguy said on the battery you may be able to get both for under $200 and have tons of juice.